Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Heat treatment ineffective. Saw 2 BB nearly wk after 2nd treatment!!!

(14 posts)
  1. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 5 2013 17:06:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean, really?!?! What the hell is going on? They have done this twice and yet I continue to see BB. I thought we were pretty careful about what we took out the house during the treatment so as not to reinfest. The house was definitely hot when we came back to it after they were closing up. Can the BB hide that good, twice? Does having a nearly yr long infestation make a difference in effectiveness? I have lost some household items as a result of both treatments, and for what? All that prep for nothing. What do I do now?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 5 2013 17:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have a sample of what you found?

3. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 5 2013 19:09:57
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, I saved one and killed the other.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 6 2013 1:13:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post a photo? (directions)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 8 2013 20:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 8 2013 20:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope that looks good. I scanned him through a plastic ziplock bag bc even though I've been keeping him in the freezer, I don't wanna let that mug out the bag!

7. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 8 2013 20:56:40
    #

Login to Send PM

UGH, sorry this is happening to you. Could it be you are bringing them in from somewhere else? Maybe the heat worked but you are going places where there's an infestation and bringing it back. Please don't tell me you had to pay for the 2nd treatment?! This is why I'm going with the spray. #1 it leaves behind a residue so IF you bring back a bed bug it will die, #2- I and my animals don't have to leave our house,#3 they are reputable with a 1yr warranty. It looks like a bed bug but why does it have horns?

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 9 2013 14:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It's an adult male; no horns. Those are the legs that are folded up and antennae are visible (lower part of picture of insect, rear end is up). Possibly the bed bugs are not being heated hot enough due to their harborage areas in the home. Bugs returning after treatment, bugs coming in from an adjoining apartment (if you live in building rather than single family house), new introduction from elsewhere. There should be a warranty with the heat treatment.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 9 2013 17:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

No, fortunately I did not have to pay for the 2nd treatment. The thing is, I don't know if the 3rd is included under the guarantee. Considering that heat is supposed to be the most effective, what is spray going to do now? What kind of crazy bugs are these? I thought I was being careful as to not reinvest, but who knows. At work, I change clothes and put my stuff in a locker. I don't see anything suspicious in my locker and I'm the only one that uses it. I work in an OR where nothing, even invisible germs, are tolerated. May have picked up some HIV on my shoes, but not bed bugs.

I do live in a single family home, so no immediate neighbors on the other side of the wall here. We did have a lot of junk prior to the bed bug infestation and treatment, but that was taken care of. Of course, we could lose some more stuff, but anything touching the bed has been removed. The couch was the culprit, which is still in the house. When I saw the two bugs I referred to in the original post, one was in the bathroom and the other was crawling on the computer keyboard in my bedroom. I haven't seen any others since then, which was last Fri. I've been feeling itchy all over, but IDK if it's bites or just my eczema acting up. The heat fans must have blown my cat's hair everywhere and I think fine strands are in my bed that are making me itchy. Who knows? They're not red bites, just bumps, kinda around a hair follicle.

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 9 2013 20:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures are hard to say 100% but I would guess this bug has fed in the last 10-12 days.
    Others in the house my be getting bit without reaction? A lot of unanswered questions obviously.

Work could be a source of contact because of all the in and outs regardless of cleaning. But to get exposed twice on such a short time? You would have the worst luck ever! Not likely. Other then an infested locker adjoining yours my guess would be failed treatment. That is if you've ruled out anyone else you visit and who visits you.

Chemical and or multi level approachs can be just as effective as heat. Don't let all the sales pitches full you. It's all about the experience of the company and techs doing the work. I don't use heat and I'll challenge any heat company to compare their first time success rates to my chemical applications. That being said - heat is still a good choice but the bottom line you need no more bed bugs in your life so, the company that will provide that would be the one I go with.

Press the thermal company for another treatment and or help sorting things out.

Best of luck!! Forgive any typos - the phone has a mind of its own.

11. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 9 2013 23:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree killer queen. In fact reading about treatments and ppl's experience I'd still go with the spray. As I said before-at least you have the added benefit of residue being left behind and they come out a re-spray a few times to ensure all bugs are dead and their eggs.What if you have a fertile bug in the car and it attaches to a family member,and it's brought in after the heat treatment? It's like playing with the odds.

'Paranoid' I would definitely see if they can spray or fumigate with no charge to you since obviously how they are applying their method isn't working.

12. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 11 2013 9:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Let's see. I saw this bug last Fri. Treatment was 6 days before then so the bug could have still fed within that time frame since treatment wasn't done for even a full week. I live in the house wit my mom, and we both definitely have reactions to BB bites. How quickly we react after a bite is hard to say. We don't have anyone that has visited us since the 2nd treatment, nor have we visited anyone else. KillerQueen, what company do you use for chemical treatment? The company I had was ABC Pest, Pool, and Lawn in Houston. I don't think they even use spray as a primary control method. They are supposed to have sprayed during the treatment. Whether they actually do or not is hard to say because we're not at the house to watch all that.

What are the chemical sprays that a PCO would use that would have residual?

13. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 18:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: The pinprick type bumps are still ongoing. They itch for a little bit and subside. I've also had 2 wheals and 1 really hard bump. I know my cat scratches, despite monthly treatment with Advantage. We have a stray cat that hangs around, that could have fleas jumping off of him to me and to my cat. I wonder if it could be fleas? Isn't it a shame that I RATHER it be fleas?

oh and some of the bites blister without scratching and some don't. we also have gnats.

14. Paranoid12

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 24 2013 18:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

my mom said she saw a slow, sick looking BB two Wednesdays ago. Neither I nor her have seen anything since.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82