Heat treatment in Philadelphia

(45 posts)
  1. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2014 18:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Been lurking and reading every post on here about heat treatment since I found out I had bedbugs a week ago tomorrow. Wanted to post something about my experience to hopefully help some people in the same situation.

Went on vacation over Memorial Day. Came back and put be luggage right into my son's room. Two days later my son broke out in hives. Dr. said it might be from his antibiotic. Stopped the meds and gave Benadryl. Hives went away. Two days later he went away for two weeks. First night back, hives again. I looked at his bed and confirmed bed bugs. Immediately freaked out and called Terminix (wanted 95 bucks and a credit card number for a "free" inspection. Told them forget it. Called Orkin and scheduled 10am next day appt. Started reading everything online about treatment, etc. and felt the heat treatment was my best option. We have two kids and were almost certain we brought the bug home from vacation with us. Started researching local companies that did it and could only find one with any kind of reviews (positive or negative) on Yelp and Google. I emailed and called (twice in a panic) Prodigy Pest Solutions. On the second call, I got through to Sabrina, who walked me through the process and quoted me a price ($2300 for a Philadelphia row home). I was taken aback by the price, but felt like it would be worth it if it worked. Like I said, they were literally the only PCO I found that had more than 2 or 3 reviews, and they were all good, so I took the chance. I found that hey were also named Philly's best bed bug removal service by Philadelphia Magazine, but who knows how that is determined.

Sabrina was great to deal with and very responsive. Emails were answered very timely. Matt and his guys came out to my place this morning and cooked the whole house (except the basement - slab concrete), where they treated with DE. I prepped the house exactly as they noted in their instructions, and the house was a mess after they were done (they told me they'd be tossing and moving and that it would look like that). Matt made me feel comfortable that they'd get rid of te bugs for good. Obviously, it's way too early to confirm that, and I will certainly update this post to keep everyone posted. They found more than I had hoped they would, and he told me my infestation probably started earlier than Memorial Day (had an out of town visitor come in early April as well) and there were bugs in each room except the kitchen and dining room, which sent me into another panic, but he made me feel confident that he got them all.

As an example of their customer service, I sent Sabrina an email right before I started typing this 7pm on a Saturday, and she just called me back as I was typing this post. They go the extra mile to at least try to give their client some peace of mind. I really appreciate that.

Anyway, just wanted to post here because maybe it will help someone in my situation in the future. I can't speak for the results of the treatment yet, but their customer service has been exemplary. They also provided me with a 60 day warranty. I

Typed this on my phone, so please excuse the awful punctuation, grammar and spelling.

I don't have any affiliation with the company, for what it's worth. Just happened to find them in a google search/yelp.

2. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 10:24:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got done cleaning up after the treatment, and I'm feeling pretty good. Vacuumed up a bunch of dead bugs, and didn't see any living ones (before the treatment, I could always find a live one in my son's room, which was their nesting area).

In the abundance I caution (damn bedbugs have me saying that CONSTANTLY, which makes me angry), we took all the stuffed animals from his room and will be drying them although they were treated when the house got heated yesterday. We also bought mattress and box spring encasements, so we can detect any new activity more quickly if the need should arise.

I'm still very confident that our infestation was cause by a one time event, so I am very hopeful that the heat works. While there were obvious signs of the bugs scattered throughout the house, it's quite obvious where they nested. They were in the box spring, mattress and in picture frames in my son's room. Like i said, his room is where we put the luggage/guests when we travel or have visitors.

We've thrown some stuff out although we probably didn't have to. Stuff like the infested picture frames just got junked because, really, who cares? I'd rather just buy new ones rather than worry about those old ones. We also trashed out old vacuum and bought a new one, which we didn't use until post treatment. We also tossed the old switch plates and outlet covers and will just buy new ones .

We're still very anxious about the whole thing, but I'm a little better off this morning after tearing through things and straightening he house. We're going to buy bug traps (the sticky kind from Home Depot - like $3) and put them around some baseboards and the legs of our bed. Two reasons for that, peace of mind and proof of any live bugs should we have to act on our warranty.

I'm just going to updates this as I go. It's mostly rambling, but I think it'll help other people by giving them some insight.

I am very cautiously optimistic right now.

3. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 10:27:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I also bought a 4 lb bag of DE from amazon for 9 bucks to spread around the baseboards of our bedrooms IN THE ABUNDANCE OF CAUTION.

4. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 6:53:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Slept in the bed last night where the infestation was worst. Woke up with no bites and no signs of bugs. Woke up a few times during the night and checked. So far, so good.

5. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 8:29:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you found a reliable and helpful company to address and treat your home. The 60 day warranty is nice too.

Your mention of the slab/concrete not being heat treated made sense to me, since I have recently also heard it isn't conducive to keeping up the temperature. Many people where I live have homes on slabs. Makes me wonder if heat treatment works for those houses.

How are you doing with the sticky traps/monitors? Have you read through the Useful Tools page (accessed at the top of the page)? You will be able to consider other types of monitors that do not rely on the sticky surfaces, which may not attract the bed bugs.

There is a wealth of information on the links above to tools, resources and FAQ's. In the case of bed bugs, it is so helpful to be informed with facts and expert advice. I wish you well and am happy to see good companies working in my native state (not my current state of residence, however). Keep us posted on your progress.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 12:55:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Be careful with DE-- most people over or misapply it. See our FAQ on DE for some suggestions.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 14:45:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, both. I am going to pass on the DE. Sounds like someone who knows what they're doing should do it. I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm not even going to risk it.

I didn't buy the traps yet. The reason I'm going with the sticky traps is their cost and the fact I have carpeting and beds with wheels on the frames. The climb up things don't seem like an option for me. It's more for peace of mind right now - mostly for my wife. I've looked into the other monitors, and I just don't wanna shell out much more money (for the co2 ones) right now. we're about 3000 into the situation already.

8. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 22:06:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a slab and had a heat treatment (in August, no less). With how hot the floor stayed for about 10-12 hours after the treatment I would have to, with the most abundant caution ;), say that the heat penetrated the concrete slab. Took almost 24 hours for the house to cool back down. I think our total, all said and done, was also around 3000 buckaroos including all our supplies, the cost of running the dryer for weeks straight, the treatment and the encasements, oh and the cost of a capacitor on the AC unit we burned out.

Best of luck to you.

9. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2014 17:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Suzanne.

Yes, my house was scorching for a good amount of time. I walked in about 4 hours later, and it was still over 100 degrees and the walls were still hot to the touch.

We've been hot washing and drying all the clothes as well. Afterward, we left then in baskets (we bought about a dozen) and left then out to be treated.

If it's $3k and we're done with it, I'll accept that. If we spent that money, and we still have a problem, UGH. I'm comfortable enough with my PCO that I know we'll be ridded of the bugs, I just hope it's a one shot deal. Still confident it will be.

10. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2014 10:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I just ordered those passive bed bug monitors that the guy on this board developed. 20 bucks per. Bought two - one for the master BR and one for my son's room. Just for added peace of mind. I've found no signs since the heat treatment on Saturday.

11. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2014 18:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Bought new white sheets from amazon. I'm seeing some fecal spots on my sheets, but I don't know if they're new or old since we used these sheets prior to the treatment. I feel like they may be old spots that got washed, but I just want to make sure. Also put in two passive monitors today.

12. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2014 19:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a goddamned bedbug. Under the box spring on the box spring encasements on the master bed. It was alive and well and looked fully fed. Did some more searching and found two near death ones in the frame of my son's bed. They weren't moving, but their antennae would move if I poked them. I

Pretty frustrating, but my PCO is coming first thing Monday morning. I sent them an email with a picture at 8 pm tonight, and they called me back 10 minutes later. Matt sounded disappointed that they didn't get them all, but said sometimes they have to supplement the heat with other stuff. This is why I went with these guys. He assured me that they'll take care of the problem until it's fully resolved.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2014 20:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Matt sounded disappointed that they didn't get them all, but said sometimes they have to supplement the heat with other stuff. This is why I went with these guys. He assured me that they'll take care of the problem until it's fully resolved.

I am really glad they stand behind their work and will be following up with additional methods.

Good luck and I am sure this will be resolved soon.

14. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2014 20:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope so. The wife is freaking out. I am much calmer than the first time we found them. I know that it may take a little time, but it'll get resolved.

Thanks for running a great site/board. I've gotten a lot of great info here.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 2:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbUGH,
    Thanks for your kind words about the site. I am glad we could be here and that you found us.

16. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 19:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick update:

Matt came out this morning and found a few "stragglers" under the carpet beneath the radiator. He inspected the rest of the house and didn't find anything, so that was comforting. He treated the whole house with DE and said of anything else pops after 7 days, they'll come in and heat the house again.

Told me he'd be here at 8 and showed up at 745. For someone with two kids and a 9-5, I appreciated the courtesy of him showing up on time. I don't know squat about extermination, but I know a lot of customer service. These guys are top notch. He again made it a point to let me know they're not going anywhere until I'm bedbug free.

17. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 20:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you've got the gold standard for PCO's with customer service. I love that he said they would stay with you until there's no more of those bugs.

Hang in there. Things are getting better every day.

18. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 20:32:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, I feel like we're very lucky. It's a terrible thing to deal with, but their reassurance has been great throughout.

I talked to them to set up an inspection of my parents' house because I'm afraid that we took the bugs with us there on one of our many trips. I let them know I didn't want my parents to pay, and to just put it on my card they have on file. They told me that there'd be no charge - they'd go over and inspect and set up some monitors for no charge.

19. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 7 2014 11:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Been a week since the house got treated with DE. I did find another big in the same spot on the encasement that I found the last one after the heat. Emailed PCO last night, and they're going to come out Friday morning I steam a couple spots and put some more DE down. Of I see anything after that, they're going to just re-heat the house. I hadn't seen anything until we went away a couple days. Came back and did an inspection and saw the one on the box spring encasement.

Frustrating, but still confident it'll be over soon.

Mattress encasements are crap. Bought highly rated ones from amazon. They slightly tear if they catch the bed frame wrong. They make it easier for me to spot bugs/fecal stains though. We just have white everything at this point and are constantly checking.

I do have those passive monitors the guy on here sells. They are located on the encasement of the box spring below the head of the bed. They're clean every time I check, so I'm really hoping these couple I found are just part of a very small group of heat treatment survivors. Who knows.

20. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 14:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So, they came out today (about a half hour late today. Quincy called and let me know, however) to steam a couple areas of concern and put down some more DE. They said the area of concern is a space between my baseboard and my floor - you can just about fit a pinkie in there. If we see anything else going forward, they'll come back out to heat.

Is there anything that I can also do (in addition to the PCO laying DE in the spot) that would assist in getting these things out of here quicker? I can't actually see them, so I don't want to just go spray contact killer (not to mention I have no clue how to do so).

Hanging in there. Still very hopeful. Is there anything worse than thinking you're done with them, then flipping your box spring and seeing one? UGH.

21. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2014 8:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Latest update:

PCO came out on 7/11 and treated the master with steam and DE. No traces of BBs since. Moved my passive monitor into a more ideal position (head of bed, box spring, right where mattress meets box spring) on 7/15. No signs on the monitor and no signs on bed (fecal, skins, etc.).

Found a live bug and skin/fecal on the underside of my son's boxspring (right where the root of the original infestation was - the corner of the metal bed frame) on 7/15. Killed it and called the PCO. They came yesterday and steamed and DE in that room and the other (3rd) bedroom. The monitor in my son's room has been clean since 7/15, when I moved it into the more ideal spot as noted by David Cain. I've also seen no other traces since 7/15. The monitor I placed on my couch has also been clean since the 15th.

I am hoping that the 2 live bugs I saw were just unhatched eggs that were tucked away somewhere and escaped the initial heat treatment. I check the monitors and bed/sheets every day, and I've see no other traces.

Still fighting the fight. PCO has been great in working with us to make sure we're rid of the bugs. Next step would be to re-heat the house he said. Judging by the monitors and lack of other significant traces (only the fecal stains where I found the two live bugs - 1 in each room), it seems as if we're winning. A little more slowly than I had hoped, but it seems as though we're winning.

22. bbbgoneforeverplease

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2014 22:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for posting the updates. We just had them here last week and were assuming we are done with the bugs but I guess it is too soon to say. Did they say how often they have to go back for follow up treatments?

23. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 7:49:41
    #

Login to Send PM

bbbgone,

Not a problem.

There was no follow up treatment planned. The heat was supposed to knock it all out in one shot. I think I may have had a pretty decent sized infestation. I am estimating that we brought them home sometime in early-mid April. We didn't do anything until the end of June, and by that time, the signs were everywhere. I just had no idea bed bugs were even real, so I never did any sort of check or anything.

There are a lot of places for the bugs to hide in my place, as it's an old Philadelphia rowhome. I think the heat knocked out the vast majority of the bugs, but a few managed to find a place to hide and survive. Since the treatment on 6/28, I have found two adult bugs (1 in the master and 1 in the middle room) and a couple nymphs in various stages. Each time, I called the PCO, and they came out and treated with DE and then steamed the area.

I did find another nymph and its casting last night. Killed it and emailed the PCO. Waiting to see what they want to do next. They may want to give it a couple days for the DE to do its thing, or they may want to come in and reheat.

I take comfort in the fact that in/around the beds, I'm not finding a lot (none, really) of signs of bugs other than the couple of live bugs I've captured. This leads me to believe that we're getting them. At least I hope.

24. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 10:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I think you have a great company and PCO who are there for you and will continue to help you until it is all over. I wish that was the standard for all the companies.

Thanks for sharing all the details. It brings hope to those who are going through these times. You keep up your good work and positive attitude too!

25. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 23 2014 12:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I feel very lucky to be working with them. They've repeatedly reassured me that they'll be around until the bed bugs aren't.

26. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 9:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Haven't seen any signs in the master bedroom since the 11th and the passive monitor has been clean since the 15th. Looking good there and in the living room. I will do a more extensive search this weekend (flip mattressess/box springs/etc). I am just checking the monitor in the master right now with an extensive look around once per week.

Haven't see any signs in the middle room since 7/23 when I killed the nymph the day after DE was laid. That monitor is also clean. I flip the bed/box spring once every couple of days and have seen nothing.

Seems like they're on the way out. Things are getting back to normal - we're a lot more relaxed lately.

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 30 2014 23:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Love it, BedBUGH!
    I hope you continue to have success.
    Please keep updating us and don't forget to come back and post a success story.

28. BuggyNoMoreIHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2014 14:59:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the details! Based on your recommendation (and others) we hired Prodigy for a whole-house heat treatment as well after finding a major infestation in one of our children's rooms (like you, we thought it was some sort of allergy at first). We are scheduled for the heat treatment in a few days, though they already sent someone over for an initial steam of the beds (which killed many bugs, but I still saw some live ones).

I really appreciate your story, it gave us a great starting place. We will keep you updated, and, of course, are happy with any advice.

29. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2014 15:53:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Buggy,

I'm glad I could be of any help. That was the intent when I started keeping track of the whole situation here.

I had no clue what to expect when I hired Prodigy. I was pretty much just trusting what I'd read online, and who knows how reliable that is (I guess the same could be said about this whole journal or whatever it is). I got really lucky.

Things will get better. We've gone from not sleeping and worrying all night to getting comfortable nights' sleeps (as much as you can with a 3 month old). Matt and his crew have been great. The most comforting thing for me was that he told me they'd be there until the bugs were gone. That's a real good thing to hear when you're going through the bug situation and shelling out however many hundreds/thousands of dollars. We're a month in, and although we've found a few survivors from the initial heat treatment, they've followed up on their promise. Every time I call, they're on top of the problem.

I don't want to say we're bug free yet, but I will say we're getting there. You will, too. Hang in there.

30. BuggyNoMoreIHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2014 11:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

At least as far as the heat treatment is concerned, Prodigy was terrific. They showed up on time, were friendly and professional and answered every question.

Since I have a remote thermostat in my house, I was actually able to trace the process of the treatment. They raised the temperature in the house to over 130 degrees for three hours. The damage was much less than expected - a melted crayon, and some veneer pulled back on an IKEA cabinet. They also did not make too much of a mess, despite warning us that it would look like a bomb went off.

When we came back, the house was still hot, and, because it is really well insulated and has lots of stone in it, it stayed at 100 degrees or more through most of the night - we had to sleep in a ground floor room with a seperate AC unit. Other than that, the results looked good - I vacuumed a lot of dead bugs. Given the temperature, and length of time, I hope they got them all, and the Prodigy folks are confident. I have put in passive monitors, gotten enclosures, and will keep my eyes open.

31. THEM

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 4 2014 14:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been in contact with Prodigy, and been very impressed -- haven't had them out yet, because we need to do a lot of straightening first, but I've been really impressed by how quickly they've replied, and how helpful they've been.

It's an even better feeling to know how well they handle the follow-up.

32. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 9:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick update. Found one more adult bug a week ago. I am hoping that is the last of them (I had previously found 2 live bugs and 3 castings, so maybe this is the last one). The concern now is that the bugs may be coming from my next door neighbor, with whom i share a party wall.

Prodigy came out and did some steam the day after i found the bug. We are going to see how that goes, then adjust from there. I don't know my neighbors (they rent), but I will go knocking if we find anything else.

33. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 9:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, the passive monitor has been set up for weeks, and it only has 1 tiny speck, which i am pretty certain is fecal. I continue to be encouraged by the lack of evidence of another large infestation, but discouraged by finding single bugs every so often. The fight goes on.

34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2014 15:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry about the problem persisting.

If you post a photo of the passive monitor, David should be able to confirm if it's fecal. (Doing this in a new thread and linking to this one for the backstory is probably best.)

Keep in mind there may be a bed bug in the passive.

35. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2014 8:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Nobugsonme. I know it's fecal. I've also seen a live bug, so the issue still persists.

I went knocking on my neighbor's door last night. The problem is coming from her house, and her landlord is basically a deadbeat. I was very appreciative that she was honest with me, because now we can do what is necessary.

She was telling me she bombed/fogged her house a lot of times and paid $800 for an exterminator a few months ago that came out once so far. She tossed carpet, couches, beds, etc. I remember seeing that in the trash, and it was about a month before my infestation started. That all makes sense. I've read the reason you see bugs on the ceiling/walls could be because someone set off the bug bomb or fogged. When I finally realized what was going on, I saw bugs on the walls and some near the ceiling/curtains, etc.

I've already contacted the PCO to let them know and see what they want to do. It's a difficult situation because I don't know that the neighbor has sufficient means to pay for the appropriate treatment (although she's already shelled out a ton of dough) and the landlord is a piece of garbage. I am going to do some research on the landlord's responsibility in Philadelphia. I don't think there are any statutes or ordinances, but I'll call my local Rep and see what advice they have. I'm 100% confident that the PCO will have some sort of solution to take care of it although it's not necessarily a "common" problem.

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 14 2014 9:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's good that you're researching. Even in places where tenants are responsible for their own treatment, it's possible that is no longer true when another tenant is sending the problem and self-treating. (I am not a lawyer, etc.) Good luck to you.

37. BuggyNoMoreIHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 12:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

An update on our end. It has been almost two weeks since our treatment with Prodigy, and I just located a single, ill-looking straggler in the Climb Up in what had been our most infested room. Adult, no blood in it. I called Prodigy and they were wonderful - sending someone over right away, steaming, and trying to see if there was a problem. They say it is rare, but happens.

We are in a single family home, but an old one, and it is likely that this one got deep in the walls, since the room in question has some access hatches to the bathroom. Otherwise, no sign on the encasements, mattresses, or any bites. After the steaming, I am sealing the hatches. I am hopeful that this is the end...

Also, I have to say again, Prodigy has been wonderful - they really react quickly and with lots of knowledge.

38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 14:04:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, Buggy!

It is possible for some bed bugs to survive a heat treatment, so for those choosing heat, it's important to choose a company that backs up their treatment with a guarantee. Some companies will also a do spray/dust follow-up, increasing likelihood that any stragglers will be killed.

(Aside to others considering heat: I am talking about single-family detached homes with no continued exposure outside the home; attached neighbors with bed bugs or a "local source" of exposure outside the home suggest heat may not be the best choice. If you have attached neighbors, you want to have more than just their word that they're bed bug-free.)

39. BuggyNoMoreIHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 21:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NoBugs! Prodigy came by, dusted with DE, steamed, inspected all of the rooms, and put down passive glue traps in all the bedrooms. They also made an appointment to come back and check in a week to confirm that everything was okay. I have been really impressed with the level of service, especially since this is not really a word of mouth business (this forum aside) since everyone keeps their little problem a secret...

I also naturally took all of my kid's bedding, stuffed animals, etc from that room and either threw them in the dryer or else in the ThermalStrike (along with many of her books that were on the floor). I bought the thing in my flurry of post-bug paranoia, so at least I am getting some use out of it. In the process of cleaning stuff out, I found a couple very dead bugs, though it is impossible to tell if they shook out of the cleaning process or were killed by the PCO visit.

Either way, holding out hope that this may have done it.

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 15 2014 23:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck, Buggy! I hope so too.

41. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 9 2014 11:49:49
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been about a month since out last big sighting. Prodigy came out and inspected our neighbors house. They wouldn't tell me what they found at first due to customer privacy, but I had already spoken to my neighbor about it, so they were able to go over what the found since I knew all the info already.

Basically, neighbor had a pretty bad infestation at one point concentrated in the room that shares a wall where my major infestation was. They bombed that room, and that's when the bugs spread to our place. They did have an exterminator out, and it seems to have worked because Prodigy found no traces of live bugs during their inspection.

We're in a holding pattern now. No further action since we haven't seen any signs of bugs in a month. I check the monitors weekly and did a thorough inspection this weekend and found no signs.

Very hopeful that it may be over, but we'll see.

42. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 9 2014 13:24:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BedbUGH,
    I hope the problem is resolved and that you'll be even more confident soon.
    Please keep us posted and when you feel ready, don't forget to come back and write a brief "success story" post!

43. BuggyNoMoreIHope

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2014 10:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Update on my end as well:

I continue to think Prodigy was one of the best customer service experiences I have had. Seriously, they were responsive, understanding, and explained everything very clearly.

As an update:
    1) We had a massive infestation that we hadn't noticed for months
    2) Prodigy heat treated 5 weeks ago, since then, no more bites.
    3) We spotted one bug in a climb up a week after heat treatment and called them in a panic. Quincy (a tech for Prodigy) came out that day, did spot steam treatment in that room and DE dusted, put down sticky trap monitors, and arranged to come out a week later to check.
    4) When Matt (the owner) checked two weeks ago, they found one nymph in a sticky trap (I hadn't spotted it). Otherwise, no signs of any bugs aside from the nymph. In any case, I asked them to put down poison, along the floor boards which they did.
    5) Since then, no sign of anything, but they are coming out to check again just to be sure.

I think (knock on wood) we have them defeated. I am reasonably certain that the few living bugs had managed to evade the heat by hiding deep in a wall that was shared with a bathroom - the pipes probably helped cool them - but they certainly got most of them. Since the poison, no sign of anything, though we probably would have been okay with just DE and the steam treatment.

44. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2014 21:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggynomorehope,
    Thanks for the update!

Can I convince you to write a "success story" post, if not now then soon, when you're ready? It means a lot to those who are new to the site and the problem, worrying if it will ever go away.

Thanks!

45. BedbUGH

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 25 2015 21:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So I don't know where to post a success story, so I'm just going to put it here.

Father's Day marked a year since we found a large infestation. Neighbors had a bad one and sprayed whatever and the bugs migrated through the party wall to our house. Was awful. Had the Heat treatment and went a couple months with no sign, then they came back. PCO did follow up DE/steam and we went 6 months with no signs. Neighbors moved out in February, landlord sprayed whatever again, and back through the wall the bugs came. I managed to get a hold of the landlord that owns it and basically threatened legal action if she didn't fix the problem. I convinced her to use our PCO to heat their house. She would only pay a certain amount, so I paid the balance - it was that important to me to have our people do it right.

They came in and heated both houses paying special attention to the party wall connecting the houses. That was the last weekend in February. I've not seen anything since. the neighbors found one or two stragglers, and the PCO was out with DE and steam to follow up. I've heard nothing from them since.

I'll never be 100% comfortable that we're done with the situation, but I'm as close to it as I can be.

If you read back through the thread, you'll see how important it is to have a great PCO. We used Prodigy Pest. I can't say enough about them. It wasn't easy dealing with the neighbors, but they did a great job. They were worth every penny. I wouldn't even consider allowing the owner of the house next door to use their PCO. We needed it done correctly, and I knew I could trust Prodigy to get it done. And they did.

It was/is a long, stressful challenge, but there is hope. The most important piece of advice I could give is to research as many possible PCOs and have them out to give you estimates/plan of attack and gauge them. I hit a home run with mine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs