Heat Treatment in Edmonton, AB, Canada

(4 posts)
  1. Never gonna get bit again

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 10:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all! I am leery of posting this in success stories at this point in time, as I am only 12 days post heat treatment, but so far, so good.

I started getting bites about 8 weeks ago. A bite here, a bite there at first. I thought it was mosquitoes to begin with. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and we had much rain this summer, resulting in MANY bites, and (off-topic) a great basement leak. Then I woke about 5 weeks ago to find 7 bites on one of my legs. Unmistakeably bed bug bites, as I welted up crazily, and itched for days. It is worth mentioning that I got bit once before back in February, while visiting someone who I knew had bed bugs. At that point in time, I did much research on the subject, and therefore had already become quite knowledgeable by the time I was bitten 2 months ago.

I started out by thinking I could conquer this myself using DE, which I spread all over my house. I got bit a couple times after that, and eventually decided that I didn't want to go through the uncertainty of trying to self treat. I did a little research and decided that while many have had success with chemical spraying, it usually requires 2 or 3 treatments and isn't necessarily effective all that quickly, so I called a PCO, and scheduled a heat treatment for August 31st. The PCO came out on August 27th to go over everything in my house and tell me what I needed to do beforehand. He assured me that, as my house is in no way cluttered, this would be a one time treatment. I had already at this point in time bathed my dogs excessively, washed and dried 2 weeks of clothes, and moved to my mother's. I stayed there for 10 days before my heat treatment.

My 1600 sq ft house was treated on Aug 31st for 1600 dollars. I have 2 roommates living in the basement, who had both never been bitten, and the whole house was treated. We had washed, double dried, and bagged all of our dresser clothes, spread out anything that needed to be spread out in order for heat to penetrate, removed all aerosols and flammables, plants, and candles. Everything else stayed. I was assured that all electronics would be ok, and they were, although laptops had been moved to bathrooms, my guitar was in the bathroom, and an oil painting I cared about was also there. They said they only heat the bathroom for about half of the treatment. Thermal blankets were put on our TVs and the piano, and the treatment resulted in zero damage, except the arborite around the edge of an old kitchen table that the boys have downstairs. They were finished the treatment at 5pm, and I had told them not to bother opening windows to cool the place off when they were finished. When my roomie got home at 9pm, the house was still 120 degrees.

So, it has been 12 days, and I have spent as much time as possible on both my bed and couch (the 2 places I believe I had been bitten) since then, and NOTHING!!!! I would think that after the 10 days before heat treatment of them not eating, plus the 12 days post-heat, the bastards would most definitely be hungry, so I am feeling very optimistic......

Will keep posting to update.

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Sep 12 2012 12:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great to hear. Please do keep us posted!

3. Goingbuggyinyeg

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 20:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also in Edmonton, and believe that I transferred bugs from a hostel to my car a couple of months ago, at the same time that my upstairs neighbour reported bugs. My apartment has been treated twice, and I think the neighbours have been treated 3 times, and I still had a live bug and bites a week ago. The BB dog came to inspect last night and found 2 sites with bugs, but they won't be able to treat for another week, when the current bugs could already be laying eggs! I've cleaned/dried and isolated all clothes and items that can be laundered. I've replaced my mattress and wood bedframe with a metal frame, as well as encasing the mattress.

Although there are still bugs in my apartment, I haven't been bitten there recently. However, I've still been bitten in my car a week ago, after getting it steamcleaned and detailed. I react to all bites VERY badly, big welts that bother me for over a week.

The PCO suggested that I "heat-treat" my books in the car, running the heat for 4 hours with the books lightly packed. He states that his bugs and eggs die when he leaves his car running with the heat on, and cold will only kill live bugs, not eggs.

I'm wondering how people have successfully treated items like books that can't be laundered. A Pack-Tite looks very costly to me, but so is all of this replacing and cleaning of stuff. Perhaps you can PM me the information about the PCO that did your heat treatment. I definitely want to deal with my car and my books. I'm also wondering if it's hopeless for me to fight the battle in my apartment, if neighbours aren't following through with treatment recommendations.

Thanks for any suggestions!! The information on this website is some of the best I have seen!

4. Never gonna get bit again

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 6 2012 21:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It has now been 5 weeks and 2 days. Still no bed bugs or bites. I am starting to feel victorious!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982