heat treatment failed

(8 posts)
  1. goddamndevilbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2011 22:36:41
    #

Login to Send PM

i am sleepingwithvampbugs husband, at first i wasnt to concerned with bedbugs.......now i am disgusted, i want them gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! we sprung for the heat treatment and we found a live one tonight on our couch....we are renters and our landlord insist on using chemical treatments on just the affected area as opposed to fumigating the whole building, after all about others experiences i am convinced this whole building is infested, meaning we will never be rid of them as long as we live here...is there a legal way to get out of our lease? and if we can convince the landlord to treat the whole building, what are the odds we can eradicate them completely.....just looking for some experiences and advice.....thx

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 6:54:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The laws vary in most states and cities. So you'll have to do some research. From what I've seen so far, the laws tend tip in the tenant's favor. I think most larger cities have tenant unions, so you may want to start looking there. I imagine wherever you live there should be a legal resource that can at least provide you some information to get started.

I once left an apartment in Chicago due to a cockroach infestation. The tenant union I worked with required me to send a letter to my management company that told them they must treat the problem (within 15 days I think) and if they didn't, I was free to leave and under no obligation to pay another dime. The union rep. also helped me realize there was a list of other safety violations that could be added to this letter and a few other things the company had done that increased the chances of the company deciding to just let me leave. Fifteen days passed, they didn't treat the problem, I moved and they never pursued me legally for my lease. - So there is help out there and it can work. It just depends on where you live.

But remember, if you do choose to move, you must be very, very careful not to bring them with you.

I think eradicating them from a building can be done, but I think this depends on how advanced the infestation and the skill of the PCO & methods used. Plus your landlord has to be willing to shell out the cash for the necessary treatments and make sure all tenants are on board in assisting with those treatments.

3. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 7:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

When you say "heat treatment" what are you talking about? This is a structural heat treatment where they raise the temperature to an ambient 140 for 4+ hrs?

4. Sleepingwithvampbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 9:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

OhNoes - 2 hours ago  » bugs
    When you say "heat treatment" what are you talking about? This is a structural heat treatment where they raise the temperature to an ambient 140 for 4+ hrs?

Ohnos yes "heat treatment" 140 for 7 hours failed us this apartment is infested goddamndevilbugs is my husband. Called biogreens last night they are in west bloomfeild mi have live bug in jar rescheduling treatment. I want out! We are gonna talk to biogreen soulutions and see if they can heat up a rental truck for us with all our belongings. this morning when walking our children out in the all to go to school I saw sticky paper put down with some caught on it. omg so after I came back I looked further down the hall there are spider webs full of dead bednugs caught in them jesus. I thought heat was the best way to rid them now I know this problem is much worse any advice please nobugsonme

5. Sleepingwithvampbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 9:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepingwithvampbugs - 1 minute ago  » 

OhNoes - 2 hours ago  » bugs

Ohnos yes "heat treatment" 140 for 7 hours failed us this apartment is infested goddamndevilbugs is my husband. Called biogreens last night they are in west bloomfeild mi have live bug in jar rescheduling treatment. I want out! We are gonna talk to biogreen soulutions and see if they can heat up a rental truck for us with all our belongings. this morning when walking our children out in the all to go to school I saw sticky paper put down with some caught on it. omg so after I came back I looked further down the hall there are spider webs full of dead bednugs caught in them jesus. I thought heat was the best way to rid them now I know this problem is much worse any advice please ohnos

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 10:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO performing the heat treatment inspect all adjacent units? Including those on floors above and below yours?

Structural heat treatment can be used successfully in multi-unit buildings, but only if all adjacent units are inspected and treated (if found to have bugs) at the same time.

I had structural heat treatment done on my one bedroom apartment in a multi-unit building, but it's a small building and my landlord lives on site (albeit in a different building).

I would not suggest heat treatment in a multi-unit building with an uncooperative landlord unless everyone's being inspected and treated at the same time, and I'm a bit surprised that the PCO would offer heat treatment in that situation. It doesn't speak very highly of the PCO.

As far as getting out of your lease, the best advice I can give you is that the first step you take should be contacting your local tenants' rights organization. Laws about what renters must do if they are breaking a lease because of habitability issues vary widely by state and city, so the people who are likely best able to advise you are the people in your area who are most familiar with local laws. That would be whatever your local tenants' rights group is.

Hope some of that helps.

7. Sleepingwithvampbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 10:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Did the PCO performing the heat treatment inspect all adjacent units? Including those on floors above and below yours?
    Structural heat treatment can be used successfully in multi-unit buildings, but only if all adjacent units are inspected and treated (if found to have bugs) at the same time.
    I had structural heat treatment done on my one bedroom apartment in a multi-unit building, but it's a small building and my landlord lives on site (albeit in a different building).
    I would not suggest heat treatment in a multi-unit building with an uncooperative landlord unless everyone's being inspected and treated at the same time, and I'm a bit surprised that the PCO would offer heat treatment in that situation. It doesn't speak very highly of the PCO.
    As far as getting out of your lease, the best advice I can give you is that the first step you take should be contacting your local tenants' rights organization. Laws about what renters must do if they are breaking a lease because of habitability issues vary widely by state and city, so the peod lanple who are likely best able to advise you are the people in your area who are most familiar with local laws. That would be whatever your local tenants' rights group is.
    Hope some of that helps.

Thankyou, We told landlord to have all apartments checked he said nope not until someone else complains if you read my posts I think I mentioned what happened returned home after heattreatment and fellow neighbor stopped me asked what we were treating hes been here less then a month us a little over 2 months told him bedbugs he has them to. He called landlord our landlord lied to him said he had a problem in his other apartment complex not this one then finally admited someone had complained in our apartments but it was taken care of already. as if. When my husband called to let landlord know we had our treatment done he failed to mention our fellow neighbor complained of them, just simply said thanks for taking care of this in a timely manner before they spread to other units. what a joke me and my husband fear he already knew of this problem. sigh

8. Sleepingwithvampbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2011 10:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 4 minutes ago  » 
    As far as getting out of your lease, the best advice I can give you is that the first step you take should be contacting your local tenants' rights organization. Laws about what renters must do if they are breaking a lease because of habitability issues vary widely by state and city, so the peod lanple who are likely best able to advise you are the people in your area who are most familiar with local laws. That would be whatever your local tenants' rights group is.
    Hope some of that helps.

Thankyou, We told landlord to have all apartments checked he said nope not until someone else complains if you read my posts I think I mentioned what happened returned home after heattreatment and fellow neighbor stopped me asked what we were treating hes been here less then a month us a little over 2 months told him bedbugs he has them to. He called landlord our landlord lied to him said he had a problem in his other apartment complex not this one then finally admited someone had complained in our apartments but it was taken care of already. as if. When my husband called to let landlord know we had our treatment done he failed to mention our fellow neighbor complained of them, just simply said thanks for taking care of this in a timely manner before they spread to other units. what a joke me and my husband fear he already knew of this problem. sigh

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993