Heat treatment fail?

(9 posts)
  1. Freaking_out

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 19:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I've posted before about a house we are moving into that has a bed bug infestation. The house has been vacant. We did heat treat yesterday from a reputable company. We tried to stay in the house hours after the treatment and saw two live bedbugs. A ln adult and a nymph. Did the treatment fail? I left and haven't been back, we moved nothing in yet.

2. Freaking_out

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 21:04:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe I should clarify what I'm asking. I always thought heat treatment was completely effective. And since there was no furnishings or anything in the home it would definitely be effective. Should I be seeing bedbugs still or should they have all died if the treatment worked? I read on here somewhere that the bedbugs would be "damaged" and not be able to feed but the nymph was pretty hastily trying to get to me to feed I assume. So is that not true either?

3. blackavar

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 21:14:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never read anything about bed bugs being "damaged". Either they are dead or they are not. If they survive, you can bet they will be able to feed and multiply with no problem. Heat treatment is not a residual method so if you see live bugs after, it means, quite simply, that while it might have killed a lot, it did not get it all. And therefore, you still have a problem. I would not move into that house unless everything is absolutely clear for at least three months.

4. Freaking_out

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 21:19:34
    #

Login to Send PM

blackavar - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I have never read anything about bed bugs being "damaged". Either they are dead or they are not. If they survive, you can bet they will be able to feed and multiply with no problem. Heat treatment is not a residual method so if you see live bugs after, it means, quite simply, that while it might have killed a lot, it did not get it all. And therefore, you still have a problem. I would not move into that house unless everything is absolutely clear for at least three months.

Thank you! I was thinking the same. I have a bug phobia and it gives me such anxiety thinking about it.

5. blackavar

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 21:27:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You can have a second heat treatment done but I personally would also ask the PCO to lay, alongside the heat treatment, a residual pesticide. While you waiting for the all clear, you can caulk up all the nooks and crannies.You are in a unique position to do so because there is no furniture or clutter in the way, at least you can comfort yourself with that.

6. blackavar

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jun 19 2019 21:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

PS. Don't forget to look into the walls, light fixtures, light switches etc. There are cooler hiding places where they are escaping the heatand you have to find those out and treat them. Ijust read a post here by KillerQueen telling of how he frequently sees bugs when he removes a light switch cover.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jun 20 2019 4:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It depends what has been done prior to the heat and the extent of the infestation.

While its not unheard of for a few bugs to survive the heat it is believed they die soon after due to the removal of their symbiotic bacteria among other things.

One of the reasons why I have always personally avoided room based heating is I can see its clearly over-sold and under delivered at times. I have seen the figure of 15%-30% failure quoted in some areas but there is no real data to be certain about. I have long believed that the correct heat based strategy is "out of room" such as the inferno trailer although even then we don't envisage needing to use it in standard work on a regular enough basis to justify it.

I would discuss your expectations with the service provider and make it clear that you expect the unit to be available post next service without any live bedbugs. If that means they let the place cool and then go to town with vacuum cleaners to remove any stragglers.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Freaking_out

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jun 20 2019 11:15:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you I got in contact with the company we used and the guy (who is the owner) acted like it was inconceivable that there were bugs still crawling around and demanded proof, so I guess I will be trying to collect the evidence he asked for. We have a 90 day warranty so I hope he makes this right. The treatment was expensive and I'm extremely upset it didn't work and he doesn't believe me because out of the thousands of treatments they have done he's never heard of this I'll be taking all of the advice given to me!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jun 20 2019 11:40:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If they wish to confirm others have had heat failures there was a discussion in the LinkedIn “bed bug professionals group” (a tight and reputable resource managed by Lou and myself).

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325