Heat treatment, chemical, still bites

(7 posts)
  1. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 3:32:18
    #

Login to Send PM

At the end of january I started getting some bites. A doctor and dermatologist couldn't tell what they were. Over the course of time we've had four pco's do inspections and no one has found any sign of bed bugs. Just the bites. We had a k9 inspection team come and alert on our bed. We got rid of the mattress. A week later they came again and we got rid of the bed frame. In the course of the months since then, we've thrown out five recliners/rockers, two ottomans, two queen mattresses and box springs, and another king mattress and box springs, and lots of bedding and pillows. Everyone is sleeping on blow up mattresses st the moment. We had a heat treatment that was very expensive due to the size of our house but we were still getting bites, and the dogs actually alerted in more rooms than before. Sothey came and sprayed some chemicals, but it only took the man an hour for our very large house. And now, we're still getting bites. But here's some of the confusing stuff, most of them don't itch at all. And a lot of them are under clothing. I sleep in thin, loose clothing so they could bite through, or go under the waist band, but that seems weird. Anyway, we just don't know what to do from here. The dogs can't come back for 30 days since we had chemicals sprayed. Plus, we're supposed to have new furniture delivered on Tuesday. We ordered it a few months ago, and we've put them off delivering as long as we can. What do we do now?

2. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 3:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to add, after the heat treatment, when the dogs alerted on more places me and the kids left. My husband got rid of more stuff, and when the dogs came back a few days later, they gave us our first all clear. But we went ahead with those chemicals. Andwhen meandthe kids came back, we started getting bites.

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 7:36:51
    #

Login to Send PM

My first question would have to be did you ever see or did they ever show you a bug or any other evidence such as shed skins or fecal. K9s can be an effective tool but are unreliable and should be followed by a visual inspection by the handler/inspector to find evidence.

It sounds like they treated without confirming bed bugs were indeed your issue, which may have been illegal for them to even do. Yes, for the most part bed bugs will bite exposed skin, but I have been bit on my stomach and inside of my thighs when wearing loose shorts and shirts.

It sounds like it's possible that bed bugs might not be your issue. They could be, but you shouldn't have been treated or started throwing stuff out without more evidence. If your family is getting "bit" often then there should be signs, especially fecal somewhere.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 13:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

No, no one has ever been able to find signs ofbed bugs. Everyone has looked. Me and my husband have looked. we even took our box springs apart very carefully on top of a white sheet to try to find some sign. Everyone says it must be a really early infestation. Every time, there have been three dogs brought in off leash, and at least two have always alerted in the same spots. (They run the dogs through one at a time) No one is being bitten just a whole lot anymore. It's a couple of bites here and there every few days. And when this started, I was the only one being bit. I really didn't want it to become a major infestation. So that's why we went ahead and started treating. (The pco's seemed to think bites + dog alerts was enough evidence.)

5. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 13:28:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, this is tough. I've been in your situation and wanting to treat before I had evidence, but the people here always emphasize that you have to find a bug, eggs, or fecal staining that tests positive before you treat. Your case shows exactly why this is important. Now you either A) have wasted a lot of money getting rid of furniture for no reason, or B) are risking reinfesting new furniture that you bring in. And you have no idea which it is at this point.

You have to get someone to produce evidence before you go any farther. I can see why you would want to avoid infesting new pieces of furniture, but you really need to figure out what is actually going on. Have you tried monitors of any type? There are Climb ups or the BB alert monitors. Are you looking for fecal staining to test? You really need to know what's going on before you waste money solving the wrong problem.

6. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 14:51:36
    #

Login to Send PM

KrazyMommaBear - 1 hour ago  » 
    No, no one has ever been able to find signs ofbed bugs. Everyone has looked. Me and my husband have looked. we even took our box springs apart very carefully on top of a white sheet to try to find some sign. Everyone says it must be a really early infestation. Every time, there have been three dogs brought in off leash, and at least two have always alerted in the same spots. (They run the dogs through one at a time) No one is being bitten just a whole lot anymore. It's a couple of bites here and there every few days. And when this started, I was the only one being bit. I really didn't want it to become a major infestation. So that's why we went ahead and started treating. (The pco's seemed to think bites + dog alerts was enough evidence.)

I completely understand why you'd want to treat to stop an infestation from progressing but at the same time, you don't even know if what they treated for is your issue.

Let's look at the two things that gave you reason to treat.

Bites: There are so many other likely causes for bites. Mosquitos, fleas, carpet beetle larvae shed skin hairs, allergic reactions, skin diseases or other skin related issues. They should never be used as a confirming sign, only a sign that tells you something is causin skin reactions and to investigate further.

K9 hits: K9s can be an effective tool for finding specific areas where an infestation is, however, they should ALWAYS be followed by a visual inspection from the PCO or handler to find concrete evidence. The fact they had multiple dogs raises red flags to me. I've talked to someone who is involved in a bed bug K9 training program. The training not only for the dog, but for the handler is very expensive and they told me out of 100 dogs that they attempt to train, about only 3-10% of the dogs actually pass and get certified to be bed bug k9s. So I would question if their dogs(and handlers) are even properly trained and certified to do such work.

So... you really never had anything that warranted treatment or throwing out of so much furniture. I get why you did it, I made my fair share of mistakes at first and you may have eventually found evidence of bed bugs and threw it out anyways. But that's not the case. In fact it may even make it harder now to find any evidence.

I don't really have advice on how to handle your new furniture. But my advice would be to not throw out anything else, use some sort of monitor to try and find evidence, and wait until you do to do anything else.

7. KrazyMommaBear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun May 7 2017 23:10:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I've spent so many hours researching what could be causing the bite marks, and nothing else really made sense. When I first read about carpet beetles, I started seeing some at that time, but couldn't find any larva or signs of any. I haven't seen a beetle in a long time now. It started in January so no mosquitos. I haven't seen any fleas. I would think I could see bird/rodent mites if looking for them? It didn't look like allergic reactions.... even the doctors said it looked like bites of some kind. (On my back and rear end, one or two on my tummy.) So we had the dogs in to see if we could confirm or deny bedbugs. 😞 It's really strange to me that those particular bites never itch, but a few weeks after all of this started, I began having very itchy skin at different times. Sometimes it seemed like just going into our new master bedroom would make me itch all over. Even my scalp. And sometimes it feels like something crawling on my legs, but I never see anything. And that happens even when I'm not at home.
    I have been paranoid about bedbugs for years, so I wash everything new that we buy, and try to be very careful at hotels. But a couple of weeks before all this started, we went to a couple of hotels and I didn't do a search. Plus, I purchased two decorative feather pillows for our bed, and didn't wash them. I got rid of them, but I've often wondered if I got something from those.... but I've slept in several other bedrooms in the house since it started, and I always have a few days clear when I move, but then get a couple bites, then the dogs come and alert in that room. But I was so careful moving to those rooms! And the dogs never alerted in my chair where I sit and nurse my new baby all the time. Often going straight from my bed to that chair. I can't understand how I'd spread them to other beds, but not my chair. (We did just get rid of the chair too now) The only all clear was when all bedding was removed, most of the mattresses thrown out, and I was gone for several days.
    We did buy one of those co2+heat+hormones monitors. Had it set up in one of the rooms that had alerted. Left it about a week but never caught any bedbugs.
    If we have to leave a room, is one of those things enough to keep the bugs from moving to find a person?
    I very much appreciate the time you've both taken to reply and all your help and advice. If you think of any more ideas or reccomendations I'd love to hear it!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111