Heat treated a week ago; woke up with bites today

(4 posts)
  1. dsf3

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2012 12:24:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Background: family of three, we all had a few bites off and on for a couple of months. Then I slept in our guest bed after Christmas and woke up covered in bites. Asked a heat treatment PCO to come out, they found two dead BBs under our bed (in an uncovered storage container).

They heat treated our house Monday, 1/9/12. They found one dead BB in my daughter's bed.

This morning, I woke up with several bites on my arm. My daughter woke with two bites on her abdomen. The only thing I can think of is that last night I sat on our family room couch for the first time since our house was treated, and my daughter sat on that couch the night before.

The PCO guarantees their work if we can find a BB, but it has to be within two months of treatment, so the clock is ticking. Should I hire a BB dog? Should I get a Bedbug Beacon? (The one review of the Bedbug Beacon was negative.)

We spent $2000 on the PCO and I am freaking sick of hemorrhaging money, but we need to get this under control! What should I do?>

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2012 12:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If $$$ is a concern, don't spend any.

If you can search and find BBs yourself then do that.

With the occurence of new bites it is possible that there are additional BBs present provided the bites are not "delayed reactions" to previous bites.

You can also place monitors/traps to help determine the presence.

Reputable BB professionals will stand behind their work and honor their warranties.

If you find/catch any BBs, place them in a suitable sealed jar or suitably escape proof container. Also place a small folded piece of card stock (a one inch sized square) within the jar as the Bbs will normally cling to that rather than try to climb up to escape.

Let us know if any additional questions or concerns, hope this helps ! paul b.

3. BC BEDBUG EXPERT

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2012 14:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You should definately call the heat treatment company back & let them know you are getting bites already. You should not have to spend any more money, they should not charge you for coming out again and as P Bello said, Reputable BB professionals will stand behind their work and honor their warranties. Let them know asap before the problem gets any bigger.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2012 14:37:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Read the FAQ's and swat up on your inspection skills as at the end of the day they want proof and as much as bites can be a sign they are not proof, that can only be:

• Live samples
    • Fresh faecal traces
    • Fresh cast skins

Although a K9 inspection could detect the scent of bedbugs you will still need to find and confirm signs to get a second treatment so you either need to select a dog that does visual confirmation (it should be the standard or certainly part of anything that claims to be a valued standard) or to look at monitoring.

If you want to keep the room vacant then you need to look at active monitors of which the beacon is certainly the one that offers the greatest value for money and I have been happy with the results (regulars know I am a tough cookie to satisfy).

If you can occupy the rooms which is advised then you can look at monitors, interceptors and passive monitors. Each technology has different features and benefits and should be researched to see what fits in with your budget, configuration of room and end goals. Again the FAQ's are a good port of call.

I have always said that professionals should either teach their clients to tell the signs or provide monitoring post treatment as a quality assurance. One of this weeks vacation projects is to tweek our own systems in that department.

It is also worth considering that the dynamics of some bedbug cases do not make single treatment solutions such as heat or fumigation viable. In such local source issues there is either an adjoining source or the occupants are coming into regular contact with bedbugs such as a mode of transport or common visited location.

All this needs to be considered along with the possibility that the service you have had may not have worked.

It may help if you know what your source of bedbugs was. Although ultimately if you know what it was you would have avoided it it is actually a more logical place to start thinking about bedbugs from than how you are going to deal with them.

I hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me