Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Heat in multi-unit buildings--expert opinion?

(2 posts)
  1. sleeplessinhonolulu

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 14:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

We live in a a 12-story apartment building and recently got heat treatment. Two weeks later (on the eve of our follow-up K9), I found a single live bug. PCO confirmed that the bug was a bedbug, but the dog didn't alert on anything. PCO gave us climbups and is coming back tomorrow. Full story here if you think it's relevant: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/heat-treatment-experience-so-far-so-good

My question is this (either for others who have had heat treatment in apartment buildings or any experts): Is it normal and effective to heat treat only one apartment? What prevents the bugs from crawling through the walls into a neighboring apartment and spreading--or just coming right back?

The heat treatment guys said they do this all the time (particularly in hotels), but I'd appreciate an opinion from someone I'm not paying. We told them we could get them access to the next-door apartment (we're an end unit, so only one neighbor), as it was recently vacated and is being renovated. But they said it wasn't necessary.

It seems that most PCOs on this site do traditional chemical treatments, but I'd appreciate any insight.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 23:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert. However, you are right to be concerned. Heat treatment can work in a single unit but my understanding is this is possible only if all affected units are detected and treated at once. A pro must carefully inspect every attached unit above, below, on all sides.

Your PCO does this in hotels but remember the hotel may be more likely to have them inspect all attached units. Some landlords will, some won't. If the PCO says that's not necessary, I find it a bit odd.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982