Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Heat & Air Vent Cleaning ,BB's &Bird or Dust Mites

(6 posts)
  1. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2015 20:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

This maybe a complex thread so bare with me on this one please, I'm doing the best I can not to confuse the issues in this post. I know it is 2 separate things I'm talking about/asking.

Keep in mind we had bb at my job before this.
    3 months ago : 1st week of DEC.
    Found & caught 1 very aggressive , feeding on me on sofa down stairs. , ( ID by PCO bb-expert ).
    Isolated sofa with DE immediately. Then started researching them & what to look for.
    Found 2 skin sheds on unused bed up stairs , where I keep & changed clothing.
    Never found or had issues with other bed/bedroom upstairs that I sleep in.

I had a habit of sleeping on sofa 1st night & in bed 2nd night off this was the only routine sleep pattern for my weeks. The rest of the time I had no routine time or place I slept here for the entire week.Some times I had no nights off & only napped 4hrs or less.

OK now since 1st of Dec I have had no bites like before it stopped, just some other type skin reaction a month later. Thus seem to eliminate an infestation, other then the sofa that is still in isolation today.

I am to the point I have to do some thing with that as I'm sick of the living around the issue.
    But I am scared of the unknown what if's there.
    I can't manage it alone to bag it & can't move it either.
    I am worried to un-isolate it may disperse any hibernating bugs causing new issues of lactation.

My question:
    If there were bugs in that isolated sofa & I'm 3'-10' away using a different resting place so near ,would they hibernate rather then cross the DE? or would they have came out of the circle anyway in the case I'm so close to it?
    Should I keep it isolated a bit longer & use monitors on it? I'm really sick of looking at the DE.
    I am at the point of hiring help to bag it & not very trusting in others to use caution handling it.
    should I remove it from the house if DDVP treating it.
    I just don't know the best path to take. Help me out here please..

The way the sofa is built there is no way to see any signs of them from top or bottom.There could be a infestation totally enclosed from viewing.there are small finger withe spaces between the back rest big puffy cushions . I have searched it and see nothing, but again that means very little.

2nd subject is I've been getting this itchy feeling about 2 months & is getting worse ,some times randomly all over, other times just around the head,face neck.exposed skin & under clothing.

Often when trying to sleep. It starts all the sudden in bed & at the laptop,only those 2 places. I get some thing like heat rash bumps , only shortly itchy then dry up in a day or so leaving tiny dry bumps for well over a week or two. Its not scabies for sure! & nothing else fits. I cant see any bug.

There is a heat vent under neath the table for the laptop could dust mites live in the ground level vents? They are dusty from age, would it be a waste to have them cleaned & treated?

Other option is bird mites from the fire place.There is a nest in between the rocks on the outside ,if that has anything to do with it, but the fire place did not shu off the bird. I get pigeons that rest on my roof in mornings cause the ole fart next door feeds them & my roof is taller then his.

I found this video while looking up mites. If I can get a pic in focus on my rash of bumps may send it to them & see what they say.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin
    with this info:
    Published on Oct 22, 2012
    http://www.OnlineDermClinic.com
    Have a skin problem? We Can Help! Send a photo consult using the OnlineDermClinic FREE smartphone app.

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2015 20:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

edit: I am worried to un-isolate it may disperse any hibernating bugs causing new issues of lactation...location

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2015 22:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston has mentioned in the past that if mites are a possibility, you can place glue boards around where you think they might be coming in, to catch a sample. Bird mites/rodent mites are not invisible and people have posted photos for ID here. They are harder to catch but glue boards can help if you think you know where they're coming from as in this case.

(For anyone not suspecting mites-- In comparison with other bed bug monitors available, my understanding is glue boards not much help with bed bugs unless the population is large, in which case you have more chance of getting one on a glue board.)

A good PCO who has handled bird/rodent mite cases in the past could probably be a big help here too, inspecting and helping lay traps, and treating if needed.

Can you tell us how the DE is placed and how much? Did you make little piles of it or is it a light dusting you can barely see? (The latter is how we're told it should be, and then in cracks and crevices only.)

If you made any kind of heavier application, my understanding is they might not cross it.

DDVP should be used only per label directions. If you're treating an item, my understanding is you need to have an airtight seal around it and the DDVP sealed inside. This seal must not be disturbed by humans (including children) or animals. Keep that in mind when considering whether and where this could be done. I am not an expert so you might want to ask any specific questions of P Bello, who actually does advise on the use of this product. His past posts about how to use DDVP may be found by clicking the DDVP tag above, or searching his profile.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2015 10:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs: Thank you for the reply.

Bird mites/rodent mites are not invisible and people have posted photos for ID here.

I think that cancels out those two mites because I can not see it even when I feel it & looking close up in the mirror..no visual activity or movement..

It feels like its fluttering all over my face & eyes, also from the neckline up. i'll itch in other places here & there but this is like a swarm of micro nats fluttering on my my skin ,then I have like a heat rash of bumps later, some type of reaction..never had anything like it before..Also never had anything like bb bites before & caught that sucker in short order .

Can you tell us how the DE is placed and how much? Did you make little piles of it or is it a light dusting you can barely see? (The latter is how we're told it should be, and then in cracks and crevices only.)
    If you made any kind of heavier application, my understanding is they might not cross it.

It is thicker then I think they cross unless starved & high on C0 2..haha ... At the time my goal was to quarantine it/them. sorry but hey I'm honest I made a voodoo powder circle . An it wasn't all bad cause it allowed me to verify they are no where else in the house. No other activity,signs,bites at home for 3 months . except for the sofa I'm all clear now..Its the only thing I isolated & only place I used DE excepts around the bed frame on the carpet of the bed that had no indication of them there already, & its all clear 3 months..

I did get DDVP advice & info from PJB . Only when I ask him about it ,I was planing to leave & treat the whole house for 30 days.
    Taking the advice of the experts I held off on any & all treatment & waited it out with nothing between me & bb's , I can say it's all clear now but the sofa..
    So that is where I am at ,starring down the voodoo dust, wanting my best option not to release anything yet get my sofa back safely ..I could check out what the PCO charges to strip treat it, cause I can't do it alone..

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2015 15:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

If you feel something on your skin and you can't see it, take a piece of clear packing tape and pat it on your skin. Peel it off. You should have a sample. This can be gently attached to a white index card. An entomologist can then examine it under a microscope.

6. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2015 21:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs: Yes & thank u..I also thought about that last night at work..

take a piece of clear packing tape and pat it on your skin. Peel it off. You should have a sample.

I'm going to do! an a sample from the bed as well ..at lest I know it a reaction not bites & not bb's ..It has to be dust mites ,have ruled out scabies,bird or rat mites ..and many other thing.. will get a sample & see what shows up. thanks again

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14