Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Have to work at the Waldorf in a couple of weeks.....

(8 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 1:43:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a conference at The Waldorf in a couple of weeks. There's currently a lawsuit against them for bedbugs.

How do I protect my laptop? Is there something I can spray around it so that nymphs won't want to get inside of it?

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 6:21:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but what if you kept everything bagged when not in use? Have a set of clothes you wear just in the hotel room and either seal/treat or abandon it.

Bear in mind that while odds are that the Waldorf has had to deal with BB, just as a function of it s size, they probably are no worse in dealing with it than other NYC hotels (and prejudice tells me, likely better). That said, I don't travel much, but would treat any hotel using the above strategy (which is how I deal with my parents' home).

Enjoy your visit.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 8:41:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cilecto,
    Because I live in Manhattan, I won't have to stay overnight there. I just have to go there three days in a row during the conference. Last time, I brought plastic bags with me and put my handbag and my computer bag inside of them. However, my laptop has to be out on the table the entire time. I'm thinking that since I use the laptop the entire time, albeit mostly to surf the internet or watch videos, I should be fine. But, I had just read a post here where someone had found a bedbug and eggs in their keyboard. Naturally, I came straight here and posed my question on how to prevent that from happening to my laptop.

When I come home, I change my clothes right away and throw them in a bag to take to the dry cleaners. Rationally, I think that I'm not staying in a hotel room, per se. (with beds) But, those buggers do have legs that can take them to other parts of the hotel. And I'm in an enclosed suite.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 13:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but that's more or less what I'd do. I might opt for as much washable clothes to minimize the need for dry cleaning.

"Because you live in Manhattan", this should just be "business as usual".

Maybe this is your body's way of telling you that you need an iPad (which you can operate through a ziplock bag).

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 13:47:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Attending a conference and not staying at the hotel I would think puts you at very very low risk.

6. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 14:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I will not be an attendee per se. I am part of the conference. I do have an ipad, but alas, I cannot use it to create powerpoint presentations. That would have been funny though. Working with clients on my ipad through a zip lock bag. Although, I could use a clear contractor bag and put my laptop inside of it. ha ha. Maybe make it into a big bubble by filling it with helium and make it seem like I'm just being futuristic. ha ha.

I actually have rubber plugs that I bought for my iPad so that when I'm not charging it or using a headset, the openings are protected from dust. At the time of purchase, I didn't realize I was bedbug proofing it. heh heh.

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 14:49:37
    #

Login to Send PM

At my parents' I use my iPhone through a bag (ex when speaking). If asked (by those I'm not intimate with), it's to protect against spills. Laptops are hotter and more complex. That said, I'd kind of doubt that you'll come across many bugs walking across table tops. Do check your cord when you unplug and pack it.

And enjoy the Waldorf. It seems like a great space.

8. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 23:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cilecto.
    The Waldorf has great history. One time I was in the Conrad Suite where Princess Grace's engagement party was held. Sadly, the hotel is now run down. The one good thing I like about working there is it's five minutes away from where I live, so getting there in the morning is a breeze.

Yeah, I didn't really think bbs would walk across my table, but then again I was worried about them being attracted to the heat. nymphs... little teeny invisible nymphs..... lol

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,544 posts in 46,823 topics over 143 months by 20,658 of 21,554 members. Latest: Sionainn, ykngrggpus, DoIHaveBB