Have to move & need advice [now: a moving success story]

(11 posts)
  1. wisconsinbbs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 13 2013 13:12:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My fiance passed away & I have to move & don't want to take them with me. I live in a very rural area and the only PCOs available here won't treat my home - they don't do strictly chemical treatments, as they feel it is only effective in conjunction with heat treatment, but they won't do heat treatment because I live in a mobile home - one says it won't work, the other says it will damage the home. SO...I have been self-treating with Raid Bed Bug spray (not fogger) and DE. I can't afford a PackTite, so I will be getting rid of most of my furniture - I am only keeping my solid wood dining table & chairs, dresser & coffee table, and those are going into storage with all my books, records, etc. for 18 months. All other furniture & bedding will go straight to the dump. I have read on these forums how to move my clothing & dishes safely. I am concerned about my electronics & small kitchen appliances. I will buy some Nuvan to treat them, but I want to know if it would be effective, rather than to seal everything in separate plastic bags, to put them into an outbuilding I have (a detached 1-room shed with windows & an "attic"), and use the large-size Nuvan strips for 2 weeks. Any advice/feedback would be appreciated.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 14 2013 13:14:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear wiscbbs,

Yes, you can successfully treat the items you need to as well as those you intended to throw away too.

DDVP containing pest strips are very effective in killing bed bugs when used correctly. They are NOT magic, they simply work very well provided the DDVP vapors are delivered to the areas where the bed bugs are.

Additionally, there are other methodologies you can implement yourself to successfully control/eliminate your bed bugs.

Note that my assumption is that folks have the ability to use common sense and connect the dots in doing these things when I provide methodologies less the how to detail however, if this is done it is so due to time constraints on my end. As such, please advise if any specific questions on "how to do these things" as well as if you're not 100% certain you understand ! ! !

Comments below are provided for your review and consideration:

> DDVP strips work via the difusion/volitilization of DDVP vapors from the resin strip into the space being treated.

> Pest strip vapors kill all stages of bed bugs including eggs.

> generally speaking, the younger the bed bug the more susceptable it is to ddvp and the quicker it is killed.

> As eggs respire slowly, they take longer to kill than a crawling bed bug does; up to 5.5 days at room temperature. However, newly emerged 1st instar nymphs may be killed very quickly by ddvp vapors.

> In order to optimalize the results attained using strips there must be a suitable amount of strips to treat the space, sufficient airflow to assure vapors are delivered to all areas where bed buggs may be located and sufficient exposure time to result in mortality.

> ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS !
    (As Industry stewards, we need to state that ! )

> You can treat your entire trailer home using pest strips in combination with suitable targeted application of pesticides and control/elininate your current bed bug population 100% provided you know what and how to do this ! ! !

> It's not easy but it ain't rocket science either ! PLEASE adopt a "yes I can attitude" as this will see you through much better than a "this is difficult" type perspective.

> if you can't afford a certain item you need to seek alternative effective means.

> Vacuums, steamers, hair dryers, retail products may all be used to successfully eliminate your bed bugs 100% if you use these tools properly.

> Your largest challenge may be to learn how to do these things.

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns.

(Additionally:
    For some reason I am having difficulty with the pm feature. I can't see pms and when I try to open them it sometimes locks up my laptop which is scary cause the majority of my business is contingent upon having a working computer. As such, I have not tried to even look at any pms in many days now. While I realize that this is most likely due to the fact that "e-speaking" I am a mental midget, it is what it is and I simply do not have the time to learn how to be a computer savvy "e-tech guy" despite the good intentions of those who send me "how to" computer tips. Trust me, such tips are lost on a guy like me who's eyes glaze over as soon as I read some computer term that I don't understand. Besides, I think they have people for that anyway.

And, time is a factor for me. Today we have a game at about 5 PM. We're playing a team that we've beaten in three games this season by a combined score of like 30 - 2 (7 - 0, 12 - 1 and 11 - 1). It's a joke and while I'd like to skip the game and use the time to get caught up in my work, I can't cause I'm our team's goalie. OK, sorry for whining ! )

Just know that I'll reply as soon as I can, when I can.

SOrry you're going through this. Good lock & hope this helps ! paul b.

3. wisconsinbbs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 21 2013 16:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul,

Thanks for the response....I AM going to succeed, I just know I have a battle on my hands but this website has been invaluable in giving me the knowledge of how to fight it. If could just ask a couple more questions, I would greatly appreciate the expert advice.

1. Do I need to put a fan in the storage building with the Nuvan strips, to make sure that air is circulating the vapors? The label doesn't specify.

2. Will Nuvan strips be effective in the mobile home if the bedbugs are in the walls? I was not able to fight the infestation as vigorously as I should have early on (due to my fiance's terminal illness), and I have found bed bugs in every room in the house, and am treating with DE and Raid for bed bugs, but will treat the entire home with the strips after I move out.

Thank you again for your help.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 21 2013 17:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

wisconsin,

Maybe Paul can advise you on how to leave your belongings that you are keeping (table, etc.) in the room with the DDVP strips? It doesn't seem like you need to store them unused for 18 months if you're using DDVP to treat the home.

Paul said,

For some reason I am having difficulty with the pm feature. I can't see pms and when I try to open them it sometimes locks up my laptop which is scary cause the majority of my business is contingent upon having a working computer. As such, I have not tried to even look at any pms in many days now

Paul, I have to address this.

The private message function on this site doesn't open pop-ups and can't do anything harmful to anyone's computer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I can't see PMs" -- if you mean they don't have a title, that is because the user did not include one and in such cases, you can't open them (a function of the feature, I'm afraid).

If you tell me what browser you're using (name and number of edition) and what operating system (which version of Windows) I will try and help.

As for the topic of this thread, I am curious if you, Paul, can tell us why a PCO who uses sprays/dusts/steam would not want to treat a mobile home?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 10:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, thanks !

1) what happens is I think I have too many and it locks up my memory. I'll have to do some housekeeping there. I suffer from being too busy, too lazy and not too e-savvy too. Not a good combination !

2) Why would a PCO not want to take care of a trailer home?

It's definitely do-able and I've helped folks in this situation in the past so, the short answer to your question is: I have no effin idea !

This said, let's let our fingers do the walking and call additional pros to get someone to do the work.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 11:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear wscbbs,

Holy crap ! If you wait one week to respond then two things will happen:

1) I'm a kinda-sorta adhd/busy guy and will forget your situation and or questions.

2) I'm a kinda-sorta adhd busy guy and will not see or check to see your response and miss it.

Did I mention I was busy ?

> We want to use a gentle fan in order to create air movement such that we can assure the delivery of treatment vapors to all areas. If not, we are then relying upon the difusion process alone which can take a long time and there are other logistical challenges that are in play.

> SOme additional tips for your mobile home:

* Open and dust into EVERY utility penetration including but not limited to: electric outlets, switch plates, smoke detectors, lighting, cable tv, telephone, HVAC etc. Note that we are trying to use these penetrations to access the surrounding wall void areas to treat with suitable dust products.

* When all these areas are done, you can then use the pest strip to make an overall treated space type treatment of the enclosed space. You will need to assure that you are using the correct quantity of strips for the total space being treated. You should use a fan(s) to assure uniform distribution of treatment vapors. Note that this AI is very effective against bed bugs and when used in combination with suitable residuals and dust treatment should deliver 100% control.

* You wll need to be thorough in your work.

* Once the vapor treatment is completed, you will need to conduct a suitable ventilation or airing out of the treated area. This is best accomplished using suitable fans, I prefer box type fans, set up as exhast fans in certain windows or doors such that fresh air is drawn in from other doors or windows from locations across the treated space.

* Ventilation time may vary based upon the size of the treated space, treatment application duration and quantity of items within the treated space.

ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS !

Let me know if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 13:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 hours ago  » 
    OK, thanks !
    1) what happens is I think I have too many and it locks up my memory. I'll have to do some housekeeping there. I suffer from being too busy, too lazy and not too e-savvy too. Not a good combination !

Hi Paul,
    I can't imagine this could be a problem.
    Having run the site for seven years, I have an obscene amount of PMs. (I much prefer email for this reason.)
    I don't think that is the source of the problem.

(Though I do recommend deleting them once you've replied.)

If your system is slow or freezing up it is likely a local issue (with the PC or internet connection).

2) Why would a PCO not want to take care of a trailer home?
    It's definitely do-able and I've helped folks in this situation in the past so, the short answer to your question is: I have no effin idea !
    This said, let's let our fingers do the walking and call additional pros to get someone to do the work.

Thanks, it was my hunch that this was not an issue. I hope the OP will try additional pros.

8. wisconsinbbs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 25 2013 7:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Paul & Nobugsonme for your help. The 1st PCO that would not treat said that his company felt the heat treatment would cause damage to the ceilings of my mobile home, and they only do chemical treatment in conjunction with heat treatment. The second said that they do not believe thermal remediationb is effective in mobile homes, as the bugs climb down under the structure during the treatment and return when it cools. they won't do chemical treatment as "it isn't always effective and that lowers their success rate". I almost choked on my coffee when he said that! I can't get another PCO, a sall the others I've called tell me I'm "out of their service area". I live in a rural area, 75 miles away from the closest major city. There are some local providers, but none have experience with bed bugs.

That said, I will continue with the DE and the DDVP and I will beat these little buggers! There has been significant inprovement, I just need to keep going...thank you again!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 25 2013 7:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Have you read up on steam and looked into renting a steamer locally.

I think it will help you more than anything else.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  10. wisconsinbbs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 0:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I know that it has been forever since I posted on here, but......SUCCESS!!!!! I packed all my books, records, CDs/DVDs, photos, etc. in containers with Nuvan strips & put them in storage for almost 18 months (did this a few months before the actual move). I wasn't comfortable with my ability to treat my comforters in my dryer (too thick & fluffy) so I discarded them, but all the rest of our clothing & fabric items were treated in the dryer for an hour, then packed directly in the car, transported to the new apartment and treated again. Everything that could survive hot water was treated the same way, just in the dishwasher using the heated dry setting. Once all that stuff was out of the house, I treated the mobile home with DE and Nuvan strips as Paul recommended above, then moved the electronics & appliances. I brought all my stored belongings home 5 months ago and am happy to say I have remained BB-free. I also checked in with the new owners of the mobile home, and it seems to have been successful there too (yes, I told them up front about the infestation - couldn't do that to another human being!) I know that some of what I did may have been overkill, but I was willing to go too far rather than not far enough. I will never again take for granted living in a BB-free home. Thank you to Paul Bello, and all others whose advice on this site helped me get through this ordeal!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 0:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to move this to the success stories forum.

Thanks so much for updating us. Great to hear your news!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982