Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Have something like bite marks on me, but can't find bugs anywhere

(6 posts)
  1. hideous

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun May 19 2019 7:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been obsessing over these bugs for a while now and I live in constant terror of them. I've been through some places which were apparently contaminated with the tinea fungus, which shoved up in various places on my body, so I'm taking a medicine called fluconazole which has various skin related side effects such as hives, welts, and other crap like that. Accidentally after I started taking fluconazole I've found many small red bumps on my arms, body, neck and some on legs too (none on face, hands, feet), and these bumps itch and are scarily similar to bed bug bites pics I found on internet. I've been on a massive hunt for these damn bugs for something like 5 days now and I can't find them. I've literally tore apart my entire bed and most of my furniture and I can't find them, I can't find their casings (I found carpet beetle molts and a couple of dead carpet beetles though, the carpet beetle molts is what made my obsession with bed bugs 100 times worse for a couple of days because I mistook them for bed bug molts), I can't find dead or live bugs, I can't find their fecal spots either. I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean my whole room, I found some small cellar spiders but no bugs or any type of insect for that matter.

I have nearly 100 bites I could count all over me and they look exactly like bed bug bites. I've stopped with the fluconazole but new spots keep popping up. It seems like they're less than before so it could either be that the bugs have been misplaced after I went on a rampage in my room and now they're biting less as they find their way "home" again, or maybe because I stopped with the fluconazole.

Anyway, I'm at a point where I can't even sleep anymore, and if I sleep I have nightmares of being infested with bugs. Every dark spot stops me in my tracks and I whip out my led light and start to examine it before moving on. I live in constant fear of finding a bug.

Can you post or link me to an actual 100% verified pic of a bed bug bite? Could it be that they're nearly impossible to find, despite biting me like 100 times in the last few days? Could it just be a fluconazole reaction that looks nearly identical to bed bug bites?

2. mobert

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 20 2019 15:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't speak on the fluconazole reaction because I'm not a doctor and have never taken it. Allergic reactions and medication side effects can be unpredictable though and can take a while to show up and to disappear.

I had a situation similar to what you're describing in that I got a ton of bites but no matter how thoroughly I checked my very small apartment, I found no evidence. I was getting bites for weeks before I coincidentally stumbled upon a live bed bug inside a spiral notebook. Other than that single live bug, literally the only other non-bite evidence I found was a dead bug post-treatment. No stains, no casings, nothing. So yes, it's possible to get a lot of bites without evidence of the bugs.

Because bed bug bites are visible because of allergic reactions, and because the distribution of bits is dependent on what is convenient for the bed bug, what they look like will differ. Here's what mine looked like. https://ibb.co/Gxr115F Note that while I have that distinct row across my arm, that was literally the only time I got the bites in a row. The rest of them were scattered, some singular, others in small clusters.

Having what looks like bite marks though doesn't mean they are bite marks. How long have you been off the flucanozole? I'd suggest, if you haven't already, googling people's experience with that medication and ask the doctor who prescribed it what they think.

My best advice is to try and take things as they come and not worry about what you cannot change. There are some small things you can do about the issue to try and alleviate your stress, such as putting a case around your mattress. Maybe look into those little traps to put on the legs of your bed. And if the bite problem continues even without evidence, then hiring pest control might give you some peace of mind.

But otherwise, just do your best to stay in the moment and remember that things will eventually sort themselves out.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 20 2019 16:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you were bitten 100 times by bed bugs you should have no problem finding evidence. 100 meals, 100 poops.
    To look at it further the feeding cycle of a bed bug would indicate a number higher than any bites received in three or four days.
    I believe your suspicions are correct about your medication. Completely unrelated, but I cannot take synthetic Quinine, I'm in that small percentile that experience extreme paranoia, hallucinations and extreme agitation. Even knowing that it was the medication and not real did not make things better. I'll take my chances with malaria, thank you.

4. hideous

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue May 21 2019 14:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm actually starting to think it may just be a reaction to this awful medicine (Fluconazole, Diflucan), I wonder how long it will stay in my body as it seems like it's not possible to get it out of your system easily.
    Anyway, I saw some videos where they search the bugs on the surface and easily find eggs, molts, and other leftover junk, I literally took apart my bed, checked out every little trace, pipe, support beam, unscrewed everything, and I found a grand total of 3 carpet beetle molts plus one more inside a bag I had under the bed, and a bunch of little spiders (around 5). If I have over 100 bites I think I should have found one by now. On top of that, I've been sleeping with long sleeved pajamas, socks and I applied elastic bands all over possible entry points and to my sleeves for additional protection (except neck unfortunately for obvious reasons), still got new "bites" anyway, I think, because now the count almost reaches 150. I will now create a labyrinth of sticky traps just to be sure no bug is around my sleeping area (did that before but it was a half assed effort).

Speaking of infestations, I also talked with some friends of mine. One of them used to be working as a security guard at one of those migrant hotspots (I'm located in Europe), and he told me the migrants brought with them additional unwanted guests, especially bed bugs, and he saw the bugs bite the migrants all over the body, especially face and hands, but it seems my face and hands (only uncovered parts pretty much especially after I applied elastic bands) were spared. Seems ot that they would crawl under my clothes when they have face and hands exposed to feast on. This also gives me hope that it's not bugs. I assume bugs don't really care about ruining your beautiful face, while allergic reactions tend to happen to specific areas (arms and torso in my case), but again I don't know anything about bugs and allergies except for what I googled, and google is not a good indicator because of a certain pic you can find by googling for molts, it was actually a carpet beetle molt captioned as bed bug molts, and this made my paranoia infinitely worse until I literally started googling for every possible insect in the household until I found that carpet beetles were a thing (never heard about them before), at around 4AM because I couldn't even sleep.

I will keep you updated so if in the far future someone like me with an irrational fear of insects happens to have an allergic reaction to Diflucan\Fluconazole and immediately starts thinking about bugs, maybe he won't break his bed in the process like I did (indeed I could not reassemble my bed completely and now it's all creaky).

5. hideous

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun May 26 2019 18:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys, my condition is no longer a mystery. It is a crappy infection called pityriasis rosea. It has nothing to do with bugs or fluconazole. This shit looks identical to bed bug bites, down to the infamous triple bites in a line, triangle, and zigzag patterns, especially when it first starts to develop, the skin lesions look 100% IDENTICAL to bug bites pics you find online, because it pops up in random spots on the arms and torso in lines or little clusters. After a week or two it no longer looks like bug bites, and just looks like you're turning into a clicker from The Last of Us. If you're scared of insects like I am, you will probably think bugs had a feast on you before you start dwelling into the disgusting world of fungal infections.

Thanks for the support and I wish you all a great life free of infections and infestations wether they're from bugs, mites, micro organisms, spores, and other nasty shit.

6. astrogirl

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun May 26 2019 20:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for letting us know! Glad it’s not bed bugs and you finally have an answer!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage