Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Have some questions (double sided carpet tape, DE, etc)

(6 posts)
  1. Paranoid01

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 0:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Background Info
    In my previous thread, I've asked for a bug ID confirmation on case skins that would appear on my covers and if they were from bed bugs or not. It didn't have any exact answers as the picture quality was not that good. (Thread here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/need-help-with-bug-id-bb-or-something-else) But now, I'm 100% I have bedbugs (finally caught and squished/killed one running across my covers at night; bugger was quite fast and adept at avoiding my tissue in hand!). I had a GOOD looking at it and all the signs are here (Looks EXACTLY like the pictures here, fecal spots on the floor, and blood spots/smears on my mattress from rolling over one while I was sleeping). I have also vacuumed multiple times (threw out bag afterwards) and moped the floors and of course, biting still persists. My camera has trouble focusing, so I haven't got any good pictures of their dead bodies, sorry! >.<.

P.S. There are 2 beds in my room, one with only the mattress and a blanket underneath, and a bed laying on top of this finished wooden structure/frame (Don't know how to really describe, has those wooden headboards and wooden drawers underneath). Also I've made sure that they do not touch the wall (which they had previously been)!

Questions
    Before you read: Everything that I am buying is going to be from Home Depot.

1) Double sided carpet tape

I am thinking about using Robert's double sided carpet tape around my mattress sides to catch any bed bugs that may try to come bite me, but from other threads that I've read, this is not a good idea? I've read that the bed bugs will either simply find another route, avoid it, or one/a few will get caught and flare alert pheromones and they will disperse somewhere else. If putting the tape around the sides of my mattress is a bad idea, I was thinking what If I put the tape all around my central air vent and the perimeter of my door, so that they can't escape to other parts of my house? Since they flare alert Pheromones, shouldn't the double sided carpet tape also work in case to keep the bed bugs confined in the room, from the door and vent? And even if they don't alert the other bedbugs, shouldn't it be natural for them to avoid it? Is this a good idea? Or can they/will they find another way out? What other ways would it be possible for them to get out of the room?

Finally, do you think this will work? I would like to hear your stories & experiences with double sided carpet tape/tape and opinions on this crazy, maybe far fetched idea of mine.

2) Regarding DE (Specifically Harris DE).

I will be wearing plastic gloves and a disposable dust mask (I don't know what respirator I should buy, if you could link me a good cheap respirator that Home Depot sells, that would be great!)
    I will be purchasing Harris DE (if there is anything better or that I should know of, please do!) and thinly applying it in the cracks and crevices of my room, outlets, in the sides of my mattress, and the perimeter of both of the beds with a plastic brush (is a plastic brush a good idea or should I go for the makeup kind of brushes or sift it with a flour sifter, or get a plastic cup and poke little holes)? I don't have the time to wait for Amazon to ship me a puffer; Also, is it okay to apply DE to finished wooden structures such as headboard frames and the inside of the drawers (insides are also finished)?

3) Books and shoes.

Behind the wooden headboard is a space for books which I have a lot stacked up. I will be buying a Rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck tote to store these 3/4 full in. I have heard that Rubbermaid is not airtight, however it is plastic and I've read that bed bugs cannot crawl up on plastic? So, if I only fill the books up to 3/4 full, then it should not be able to reach the lid and crawl out, correct? If 3/4 is cutting it close, what if I fill books up only halfway? Will they still be able to somehow crawl out?

Shoes, I've read is not usually infected but I have found a blood stain on the insides of my canvas shoes and some questionable black specs on the inside soles so I want to take some precautions for my peace of mind. I don't know if it will be safe to put into my dryer because I don't have one of those boards to put into my dryer for my shoes to rest in, so the shoes will tumble and tumble (making some noise) and I'm afraid that this might break my dryer and or shrink my canvas shoes.
    Would leaving it outside hanging, during the morning and evening hours exposed to the sun be as effective as the dryer in killing any possible eggs?

-I've tried to structure this so that this is not all just one big giant wall of text, and sorry if I may seem excessively worried, but that's what bed bugs do to you!
    Any answers to these questions will be much appreciated!

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 13:42:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear P01,

I've reviewed your previous post for bug ID where both Paul Bello and Lou Sorkin replied saying they need a better photograph. There have been many instances in the past where bugs have been misidentified . . . if there is any way you could post a good picture of what you are finding just for confirmation and so that everyone is on the same page, that would be really cool.

Paranoid01 - 13 hours ago  » 
    . . . and blood spots/smears on my mattress from rolling over one while I was sleeping).

If you rolled over on one while you were sleeping, wouldn't you find the squished carcass? Just curious?

1) Double sided carpet tape
    I am thinking about using Robert's double sided carpet tape around my mattress sides to catch any bed bugs that may try to come bite me, but from other threads that I've read, this is not a good idea? I've read that the bed bugs will either simply find another route, avoid it, or one/a few will get caught and flare alert pheromones and they will disperse somewhere else. If putting the tape around the sides of my mattress is a bad idea, I was thinking what If I put the tape all around my central air vent and the perimeter of my door, so that they can't escape to other parts of my house? Since they flare alert Pheromones, shouldn't the double sided carpet tape also work in case to keep the bed bugs confined in the room, from the door and vent? And even if they don't alert the other bedbugs, shouldn't it be natural for them to avoid it? Is this a good idea? Or can they/will they find another way out? What other ways would it be possible for them to get out of the room?

I have no advice or words of wisdom regarding the use of double sided tape . . . maybe one of the professionals or someone with experience using it could advise you.

2) Regarding DE (Specifically Harris DE).
    I will be wearing plastic gloves and a disposable dust mask (I don't know what respirator I should buy, if you could link me a good cheap respirator that Home Depot sells, that would be great!)
    I will be purchasing Harris DE (if there is anything better or that I should know of, please do!) and thinly applying it in the cracks and crevices of my room, outlets, in the sides of my mattress, and the perimeter of both of the beds with a plastic brush (is a plastic brush a good idea or should I go for the makeup kind of brushes or sift it with a flour sifter, or get a plastic cup and poke little holes)? I don't have the time to wait for Amazon to ship me a puffer; Also, is it okay to apply DE to finished wooden structures such as headboard frames and the inside of the drawers (insides are also finished)?

The only advice I could give you on the use of DE was to read the FAQ regarding it. It sounds like you've already done some research regarding it though. Again, maybe one of the professionals or someone with experience using it could advise you.

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

3) Books and shoes.
    Behind the wooden headboard is a space for books which I have a lot stacked up. I will be buying a Rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck tote to store these 3/4 full in. I have heard that Rubbermaid is not airtight, however it is plastic and I've read that bed bugs cannot crawl up on plastic? So, if I only fill the books up to 3/4 full, then it should not be able to reach the lid and crawl out, correct? If 3/4 is cutting it close, what if I fill books up only halfway? Will they still be able to somehow crawl out?

I don't believe that is entirely true (that bed bugs cannot crawl up plastic). Although I believe it has been stated that it is typically harder for bed bugs to crawl up plastic and glass . . . that it can be done. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there is a video floating around showing a bed bug climbing up the side of a glass bowl (several times). If you are wanting to store your books because you have no way to otherwise treat them, why not bag them is zip loc bags (they come in L, XL, XXL) and then put them in your totes if you want. I believe the "better safe than sorry" time is 18 months for storing items with no other treatment.

Shoes, I've read is not usually infected but I have found a blood stain on the insides of my canvas shoes and some questionable black specs on the inside soles so I want to take some precautions for my peace of mind. I don't know if it will be safe to put into my dryer because I don't have one of those boards to put into my dryer for my shoes to rest in, so the shoes will tumble and tumble (making some noise) and I'm afraid that this might break my dryer and or shrink my canvas shoes.

I don't think that is entirely true either (that shoes are not usually infested)??? I would think it might have something to do with various variables . . . location of the shoes, level of infestation, etc. Regardless, I have put both canvas and leather shoes in the dryer. I have put towels in the dryer to soften the banging. The heat did shrink the leather (and maybe the canvas shoes) somewhat. There is also a "dryer shelf" available that you could purchase. Also, one professional on here is quite fond of using a regular blow dryer for detection and remediation purposes. For your peace of mind on your canvas shoes, you could maybe put them in a well-lit area (think bathroom) (and either the bathroom sink or tub where you could see if anything "makes a run for it") and turn your blow dryer on running it over your shoes making sure you get the insides heated hot enough to (1) see if any bugs are in there; and (2) to kill any eggs that might be present. (Just a thought.)

Would leaving it outside hanging, during the morning and evening hours exposed to the sun be as effective as the dryer in killing any possible eggs?

No. . . . not even close.

I am not an expert and any advice I have given you is from what I have learned from participating in this forum. If I have misstated anything, I respectfully request correction/clarification from professionals/experts/experienced buggers. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I did want to respond to your post and hopefully bring it to some of the professionals' attention.

Good luck.

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 18:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think double sided tape would be very useful based mainly on the fact that dust particles, hair and lint will quickly stick to it and then possibly provide the bugs with a bridge of sorts they can use to get to the other side. An expert's take on this is definitely needed.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 18:48:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with I torture. You need to wait for an expert, but I think I've read that it's not a long term solution.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 19:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Some folks have had some success using double sided tape however, it must be replaced after debris adheres to it over time.

Others have used smooth surface tapes, such as packing tape, where the smooth surface prevents the ability to climb up the furniture or bed legs. However, the tape must be placed nearly perfectly smooth on the surface.

pjb

6. Paranoid01

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 22:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the fast replies! @AbsolutelyFreaking I assumed that the blood stain was from rolling over one as that was the only logical explanation I could think of. I'm also quite underweight, so if I did roll over one, there's the possibility that I did not completely crush it as I was sleeping and it managed to get away, leaving a blood stain from the initial rolling. But the fact was there was a blood stain on my mattress that was not previously there.

-Regarding the shoes, they were in my room in close proximity to my mattress on the floor. Anyhow, I feel safer to put my canvas shoes in the dryer now :).
    -I will now buy large ziplocs to store my books in before I put them into the tote!
    -I'm assuming that it would be okay to apply DE with a plastic brush?

My camera has trouble focusing, but I did take pictures of the one that I killed right after I found it. It is not GOOD quality, but it's better than nothing! I have since thrown out the carcass because it would really freak me out to wits end to keep it.

http://i.imgur.com/CQYDV6a.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/2Pbount.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/wCS3GUM.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/k1HzfrA.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/cqbonIa.jpg

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,565 posts in 48,149 topics over 149 months by 21,215 of 21,569 members. Latest: eaj278, Lh0512, patmc3853