Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Have not found evidence but have strange marks on legs?

(6 posts)
  1. scaredkitty

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 23:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

A little background:
    I have folliculitis which might be causing the marks. However, I've had these three scabs on one leg that are extremely itchy and have been there for several weeks. They don't heal because I keep scratching them.
    I'm also a clinically diagnosed hypochondriac and have anxiety issues so I may be making too much of these marks.

I have been doing nightly searches of my mattress, box spring, bed frame, headboard, baseboards, pictures near bed and windowsill near bed. I have found no evidence of bedbugs besides a few black specks here and there that do not smear when wiped. I assume its probably just dirt. I have found evidence of carpet beetles and understand that they can cause an allergic skin reaction.

I have not had any new marks and I have been checking myself (and my cat) frequently. Would I have found some signs by now? I understand they only feed about once every two weeks, but I would think there would have been new eggs hatching in that time for nymphs to be leaving new marks. I have found no blood stains, smears, eggs, molts, nothing...even with a magnifying glass.

Ive been driving myself crazy with my searches and losing sleep. I feel like I'm going crazy hunting for something that may not be there. Should I keep looking? Or should I wait to see if New marks show up (that may actually be folliculitis)?

2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 1:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure that bedbugs feed once every 4 or 5 days or so, not once every 2 weeks, but i could be wrong. As for your concerns there are so many different things besides insect bites that can cause skin reactions in sensitive individuals, so unless the reactions appear identical to how your skin specifically reacts to bedbug bites (On me for example, bedbug bites appear entirely different than any other type of insect bite or skin condition) it is not a good indicator to whether or not you have bugs. Maybe getting some passive monitors will give you the peace of mind you need.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  3. scaredkitty

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2014 23:17:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thank you for replying! I have never had bedbugs so I am unsure of how I react to the bites. What exactly is a passive monitor? Is that the one with dry ice?

4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 2:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Passive monitors use no attractants. They are simple and small box-like devices that are attached to the side of the bed and work through the material and style of their construction acting as the "perfect" hiding place for bedbugs. I have never used them but the manufacturers say that if bedbugs are present they will find the monitors during their nightly wanderings over the bed and the bugs will choose to hide in them over anywhere else, which if the monitors are inspected regularly should be able to provide evidence through fecal traces or the presence of live bugs inside that there is an infestation without having to tediously (And often fruitlessly in the case of very small infestation) inspect the mattress and bed frame instead.

5. LDG

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 21:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredkitty - 1 day ago  » 
    Ive been driving myself crazy with my searches and losing sleep. I feel like I'm going crazy hunting for something that may not be there. Should I keep looking? Or should I wait to see if New marks show up (that may actually be folliculitis)?

I am NOT an expert, but... if you are going to all that trouble and worrying this much, as I probably would be (!!) maybe you should look into having a company come look. When I had them, the protocol was they would come look for free. Might be worth it for peace of mind or early detection, whatever it turns out to be.

Good Luck.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 23:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions aren't a reliable indicator of bed bugs. I agree that monitors are a good idea. This FAQ may help you choose among some of the options available:

http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/more-information-on-cheap-and-cheerful-bed-bug-monitors/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45