Have I been wasting my time?

(8 posts)
  1. Losttraveler12

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun May 20 2018 1:30:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story here, I've been battling this bed bug problem for about years, with no end in sight, that continually has gotten worse.

I've been looking in forums for quite a while, I've never had professional treatment, and I've spent the better part of 3 years agonizing over this situation, which has ruined my social life.

They say the first step to solving a bed bug infestation is to find one, or signs of them. That's my problem I face today. I've never seen one yet. Since I've never seen one, I've never reached out to anyone yet. But I have researched and stressed LIKE MAD over this time.

I just want to explain my symptoms and a couple key points:

1. I've never seen or caught one. I've ripped apart bedding, pillows, clothes and furniture, I can never see any black spots. I've switched to an all white bedset in the last year.

2. I've lived in 3 different addresses, with multiple other people that I still see normally. As far as I know, I've been the only person affected.

3. The bites are always in the same places, on my shoulders, upper back, and neck area. I have NEVER had bites on my chest, arms, hands, legs or feet. I usually sleep in boxers and t shirt. I've been able to hide my bites indefinitely because they only appear on skin that's concealed by clothing.

4. The bites have never itched. Most of them appear like acne, with a white pus filled center. Some bites will not have this characteristic, but they have never itched to the point where I've noticed, if at all. I don't remember they're there until I take off my shirt in the mirror.

5. The problem is getting worse and worse. I've spent thousands of dollars, effort and time trying to stop the bites from happening. Again, it has NEVER spread out to other areas of my body, but they seem to be happening more often.

I'm in this bind right now because I got furniture protectors that's supposed to catch bed bugs (since they don't appear to be leaving tracks on my bed,) and I just pulled them out after 3 months with zero results.

I'm overly stressed in this situation, and i think about where they could be coming from every night. I'm saving up money for a new car, which is the only thing I haven't replaced in the last 3 years.

Has anyone else experienced these same problems dealing with their infestation?

2. Losttraveler12

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun May 20 2018 1:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not saying I'm suicidal (that's stupid), but I'm definitely getting more depressed and losing hope. I can provide any pictures of bites if needed.

3. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun May 20 2018 9:22:13
    #

Login to Send PM

After 3 years you would definitely be seeing signs (bugs, casings, fecal). What have you seen (besides bites) that makes you think this is bed bugs? Have you seen a dermatologist?

4. Losttraveler12

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2018 11:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I am looking to visit a dermatologist soon. I think they are bed bug bites because they're numerous in quantity and they always appear overnight when I sleep.

However, it never occurs on open skin, only skin that's covered. I've looked at carpet beetles, spiders, mosquitos, ticks and fleas, but my bites look most like bed bug bites so I think it's those

5. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2018 12:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Mystery bumps with no sign of bbs could be literally anything. My bb bites look like plums under my skin because I'm so allergic. My boyfriend who sleeps in the same bed doesn't react at ALL. A professional cleared our apartment while looking under every nook and cranny thoroughly TWICE while we ride out travelers from neighbors, but its been several months... and I've caught a few specimens even without their eggs or feces or shells on my bed or furniture. If bedbugs are biting you supposedly all the time, you would've found SOME sign of the little a-holes.

You could be allergic to your mattress or something else in your bedding... Not even a doctor or entomologist(I'm close friends with one of the latter) can 100% ID just bites alone from many bugs because of varied individual skin reactions, but it seems like you may be barking up the wrong tree.

6. HeavyMetalTeeShirt

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2018 17:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that the fact that your bites are only under clothes points to it probably *not* being bbs. My understanding is that they will go for exposed skin first. I agree with @GothAngst, and hope that your dermatologist has some answers for you!

7. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 21 2018 19:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think you have bedbugs. After three years without treatment there would be thousands and thousands of them. You'd see them absolutely everywhere. Your belongings and walls would be badly covered in feces and bugs. There's just no way you wouldn't see them. Also, they almost always go for exposed skin, not skin under clothing. If this rash is happening only while in bed, I'd consider replacing your pillow with one made from another fabric and stuffing. I suspect an allergy to your pillow based on where the "bites" are showing up. Allergies to feathers are VERY common. Any chance you own a down pillow?

8. Losttraveler12

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 22 2018 12:08:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this issue. I visited my doctor who told me that the bumps are most likely caused from stress, from imagining I had bed bugs to spending all my time thinking about those bastards and constantly worrying about the problem.

The biggest issue was not telling anyone for fear of what they would think, I was able to hide it for so well (cause it's under my clothes), but would constantly dread over the fact to make it public, causing me more stress, and when I never found any during my "bug out hyper cleaning episodes," that would make me even more frustrated

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie