Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Have Bed Bugs (maybe 6 months), gave to boyfriend(unkown length), need advice!

(7 posts)
  1. bedbugartist

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 18:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So I thought I had severe acne for six months until my roomates subletter for the summer had extreme allergic reacions to bites all over her legs. The bugs had only been biting me on the face! Long story short, in the span of a weekend I dried my clothes to a crisp, threw out anything contaminated, and bagged everything and am now undergoing a treatment my landlord is paying for. I'm getting ready to move in to a new apartment because I couldn't find a nest and found out this building has had past bed bug activity so I'm out of here. I'm buying a packtite (700$ out or possibility of transferring bugs? I'll take the -700$) and plan on getting rid of everything that can't be packtited except my laptop which I plan on letting sit out turned on for an entire night (it gradually overheats like crazy and should slowly drive any bugs away and towards the bed...hopefully). Hopefully all this prep will ensure I have no bugs in my new place.
    I can do this because I have no furniture or anything substantial since I recently graduated and lived in dorms. My boyfriend on the other hand, has an entire house full of stuff and lots of clutter! Unwittingly I transferred the bugs...maybe when I slept at his place or maybe when he slept at mine when I thought I simply had acne. He has only been bitten three times (they seem to like me more), but I found three nymph exoskeletons under his bed and a dead nymph in a spider web. We vacuumed and he started moving laundry around (a huge no-no, I know) and now he is refusing to do anything else and not taking this seriously at all. He won't even let me tell his roommate that they have it! I feel awful keeping this a secret from his roommate who I'm also friends with! I just can't take it anymore!
    I don't know what to do. I can't sleep, I'm having panic attacks, my face is covered in painful, itchy, burning red scars, and I'm miserable and the one safe place I felt like I could go to is now infected. I'm too scared to go into his car or hug him. I'm terrified I brought the bugs to my office and I'll only bring them back when I move to my new place. I thought maybe someone who has some experience on the boards might have some advice to offer. Or ways to convince my boyfriend that he needs to start being proactive about this and treat his place and really work to kill these bugs. Or maybe advice on how to coax bugs away from biting your face and biting your legs/arms instead? Does tea tree oil really work?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 22:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Has visual evidence of bed bugs been found in your home (bed bugs, cast skins, or fecal stains) and did someone confirm the ID?

Has anyone ID'd the nymphs you found in his apartment? Keep in mind other pests are confused for bed bugs all the time, including psocids which look like first instar nymphs to the inexperienced. Do you have any photos you can post?

If you do have bed bugs in both places, then you do run a risk that the new place will be infested if you don't both get thorough treatment. But a proper ID is key. Bites are not definitive evidence of bed bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedbugartist

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2012 8:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, the exterminator found three cast skins in my roommates room, an actual bed bug nymph in my second roommate's bed, and I found cast skins in my yarn, suitcase (and a live one in my suitcase that I squashed to bits), and bookshelf. I also found a live one and cast skins/blood stains/fecal stains in my roommate's closet of stuff she left for the summer. That was in my apartment.
    In my boyfriend's apartment I found cast skins under his bed and blood stains on his bed frame. I'm fairly certain we both have bed bugs, but I'm hoping his infestation is new, and therefore a lot lighter than mine, and hopefully concentrated around his bed.

4. bedbugartist

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2012 10:43:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't have my packtite yet, but I plan on getting one ASAP and I was wondering what types of electronics are able to be put in the packtite? I have a Wii, computer, and external harddrive. The computer is the thing I'm most worried about since I rarely use my Wii and the external hard drive, so I can pack those away sealed safely for a year (though I'd rather not). But after searching the forums I can't find anything about computers and heating them.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2012 22:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Any electronics are at risk in the Packtite. Removing batteries is a must, but I'm afraid no one can absolutely assure you that there will be no damage. Temperatures should be monitored carefully. Manufacturers' information may tell you about temperature limits.

In some cases, people claim to have treated various electronics successfully and without damage. You can search for other threads here to see what some folks have done and had success with.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2012 22:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Try these search terms in the search box at top right: electronics Packtite.

7. unru11ey1

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 1:11:55
    #

Login to Send PM

look up saturation ozone machines and killing bed bugs.It works! I am a motel maintenance person. We deal with BB all the time.Just make sure you put a complete line of DE powder along all baseboards and doorways that surrounds the whole area being treated. If they cross the DE powder they die and if they stay in the area they die. If you dont use the DE powder they just move to the next room and come back later.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,415 posts in 50,190 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams