Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

hate to ask a bite question but......

(3 posts)
  1. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 20:06:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I notice that many people talk about feeling the bites as they happen. For some reason, I thought this didn't happen. Those pinprick or jabbing sensations we get sometimes--i didn't think those really indicated that a bug was biting at the moment. I thought they were our bodies's reactions to previous bites, which have introduced foreign pathogens into our systems. It's a biochemical reaction, random and unexplainable, or so i thought. Since the itchy-crawly and jabbing sensations seem strongest in most people in the beginning, and then fade away even as bites continue, I had assumed that the human body eventually learns how to confront this new foreign pathogen and takes much of the after-effect out of it.

So how many of you really think you are feeling a bug actually biting you sometimes? I had thought this was part of the mystery of the whole thing--that we can neither see them (most of the time) nor feel them on us. Thus making it so difficult to find them.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 20:23:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have allowed a lot of bugs to feed on me for various reasons. If you watch an individual feed on the back of your hand you can almost always feel it. When I feed potfulls of them I am aware of a general tingling but can't feel individual bites. So it's definitely possible to feel them, however if you have had bedbugs before or are particularly paranoid about them, it is very often possible to imagine that tingling/pinching sensation without any bug being present.

3. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 20:34:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it makes sense that you and David and a few others who feed colonies would feel something--in fact, it would be very surprising if you didn't. However, I don't think people are just imagining these sensations. I think they are very real, but I don't think they are anything biting at the moment. I rely on my instincts a lot, and from the beginning, i just sort of understood that some kind of allergen had entered my body that was never in me before, and I reacted to it with symptoms. I never thought those jabbing or crawling sensations were from bugs on me at the moment--I always thought they were allergic reactions to a pathogen. I no longer get these creepy crawlies or jabs, even though I still get bites. And I think it's because my biochemical system has learned how to absorb the worst after-effects of these bites. After all, this is the way our bodies deal with other problems--what is so special about bed bugs that our bodies wouldn't mount the same kind of defense against them?

My instincts are usually correct.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula