Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Has anyone tried sleeping IN a mattress cover/encasement/protector?

(7 posts)
  1. lululuu

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 17:10:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know what the exact name is, but you know the ones that have a zipper, and you put your mattress in it, and bed bugs can't get out if they live in the mattress?

Anyway I wanted to know if I can sleep in there instead of putting a mattress in it.
    Sounds like less hassle than worrying about bugs hiding in every crevice of your bed frame and bedroom or dropping on you from the ceiling.

Would I be able to breathe?
    It says it's a "breathable" fabric but not sure if that applies to humans breathing.

Also please advise if they'd still bite me through the cover. (not a cheap one, but maybe $50 & up?)

2. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 18:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I don,t know if you can sleep in one or not. If you did you,d probably need someone to zip you in at night and let you out in the morning.
    I know your asking a serious question but something about the whole idea is kind of funny to me.
    Sorry, anyways , it may be better to treat the frame and put the covers on mattress/boxspring and use some climbup monitors.

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 20:26:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think doing that would be a wise move, although i can definitely see how someone totally fed up with a bug issue would think of something like that (i once came up with the crazy idea of spraying my entire body with outdoor insect repellent every night before going to bed, but i never had the guts to actually do it)! For one you would need someone to zip you in in the evening and then unzip it to let you out in the morning, as i doubt there are any encasements being manufactured with another zipper on the inside (What are you going to do if by chance you need the restroom in the middle of the night)? and how do you plan on dealing with a fire or other possible emergency during that time?

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 23:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're thinking of doing this, why not simply sleep in a bed bug proof "sleep tent" that is designed and built for this purpose ?

Although I'm the inventor of the Knight Safe by Mattress Safe, the folks at MS did all the engineering, design and manufacturing work. Check it out via web search.

pjb

5. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 25 2014 23:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

you,d probably need someone to zip you in at night and let you out in the morning.

LOL

sorry not making fun of the issue but picturing this part made me laugh

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 26 2014 12:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

By the way;

the encasement industry was in place prior to the current bed bug resurgence.

These encasements were primarily used for the healthcare industry to protect mattresses from various body fluids. As such, many of these encasements are fashioned such that they'd be "water proof" and, to a degree, may be difficult to actually breath through.

So, the idea of sleeping whilst "zipped inside" one of these encasements may not be a good one !

PLEASE be careful out there folks ! ! !

pjb

7. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 26 2014 17:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi lululuu,

I can certainly understand your wanting to keep from being bitten by bed bugs. I would venture to bet that the majority of people who have, or have had bed bugs, had the same feeling at one time or another. However, sometimes when a person is in the midst of a situation, what sounds like a good idea at the time, often turns out to be not such a good idea after all. Sleeping in an encasement is one of those ideas.

The best way of not being bitten is to eliminate bed bugs from your home/apartment altogether, but until they are eliminated, the bed bug proof tent sounds like a great alternative. And a way of getting a good night sleep without worrying about being bitten.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned