Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

has anyone tried "glazing"/sealing a laminate "wood" floor?

(5 posts)
  1. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 1 2011 22:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry for the terrible phrasing in the subject. i'm not a handy person, really, but here's what i'm trying to ask:

i have a very small NYC studio, and have one of those "laminate" floors (i think that's what it's called -- it's like a wood floor, but i don't think it's real wood).

i'm about a week bug free so far (doesn't mean a lot, i know, but it's what i have to feel good about haha), and i'm thinking ahead. in a few more weeks if don't see any more bugs, i'm thinking of using sealant on the baseboards, cracks, etc.

but i'm thinking since i have this type of floor with cracks in it -- is sealing the perimeter pointless? can i put some sort of "sealant" or "glaze" or finish over the entire floor that will fill in all the cracks?

is that possible? or super hard? anyone tried it? on the plus size, it's only about 150 square feet.

everything i find online says you can't really seal a laminate floor, or shouldn't try....

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 5:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not a massive fan of sealing because I am in the free running bedbug camp, "let them roam and catch them early rather than create an obstacle course for them to find out and snipe from a distance".

My caution comes from cases where I have seen so called "professional" landlords lay laminate flooring over an infestation of bedbugs and it took about 6 months for them to stop coming out of the cavities left. Now 6 months may not seem a long time in US treatment terms but in the EU that is a lot longer than we like to see for any reasons.

The reality is that if you seal the plank to plank gaps there are still gaps around the outside of the room. You also have to understand that as the floor is not attached to the sub floor sealing the flooring to the skirting edge will never work in the long run.

I appreciate that some people seem to get a psychological benefit from sealing and isolating their homes but I don't seem this is a beneficial state of mind to encourage as when it fails or appears to fail the increase in anxiety and disappointment that so much hard work failed seems to add to depressive states.

The harsh reality is that instead of hours of back breaking word, valuable downtime spent doing the work and the cost of materials it would be far more effective to buy a welcome basket of fruit and wine and to meet your neighbours and make sure they are aware of bedbugs and what to look for. If they don't get them or know what to do if they do then you don't need to worry about the seal holding because the defensive line is so much further away from your nest.

I know that society no longer has the same community link between all adjoining neighbours but this is an issue that is likley to change some of that at least on the education side. If we all told just one person a day to read and understand bedbugs within a week it would be a more popular discussion topic than the weather.

I appreciate that this is not the answer you were looking for but it is the best way of dealing with it and as I said any technical solution would fail eventually. Its why its all down to education and early detection.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 10:49:07
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    I highly regard your work here and at home. I've thought about calking the edge of my floors. I live in an old tenement--nyc. I'm rent controlled and my crib has never been framed and rocked.

My building is a corner building and is unattached to the building to the north and to the East. Gentrification in the neighborhood has taken it's toll on the building since 1985. And now the MTA is building a subway right out side my front room window--for 4 years now. I don't even wanna talk about it--awhile ago I was telling people that I live in Little IraQ. Now, when some one asks me when the trains gonna come my answer is-- Jesus will come before the train. (The MTA spent $200,000. last summer to fortify our foundation--they don't want any mud on there face in the event that we get vacated when they start to pound the subway walls in place on our side of the avenue in a month or so. If any one thinks I'm a little buggy it aint just cuz a the bbs. We got a WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN gOIN' oN.)

That being said--this hundred year old tenement has its problems-- i've been thinking for awhile about calking the areas where the floor is pulling away from the walls forming nice little crevices where I fear bugs might be hibernating just waiting for next summer. I don't know if I'm paranoid or actually have a point when I think about this stuff. * To my knowledge I'm the only tenent that got bugs this summer. I believe my daughter brought them back after a short hop with a sports bag to Puerto Rico. She began getting bit shortly thereafter. The bugs went for the adult child--God bless their suckn'
    hearts--do they have heart? I think not. Anyway the kid flat left me and moved to Bklyn. Good for her- she made a bug-free move. (Still PactTiting the clothes she still has here and putting them into ziplocks.) The only other bb case here was 6 years ago. The family living above me had their grandfather over for awhile. Mickey 5 Luck, the mother told me her father still living in China was staying at a hotel and brought a towel from that hotel to her apartment. The LL completely remodeled that apartment and moved the 5 Lucks to the apartment behind theirs. The ravaged babies were sent to China for close to two years before they returned. So what about the floors; to calk or not to calk, that is my question.

Thank you in advance.

4. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 11:01:19
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk
    --
    I am not a massive fan of sealing because I am in the free running bedbug camp, "let them roam and catch them early rather than create an obstacle course for them to find out and snipe from a distance".

David,
    I highly regard your work here and at home. I've thought about calking the edge of my floors. I live in an old tenement--nyc. I'm rent controlled and my crib has never been framed and rocked.

My building is a corner building and is unattached to the building to the north and to the East. Gentrification in the neighborhood has taken it's toll on the building since 1985. And now the MTA is building a subway right out side my front room window--for 4 years now. I don't even wanna talk about it--awhile ago I was telling people that I live in Little IraQ. Now, when some one asks me when the trains gonna come my answer is-- Jesus will come before the train. (The MTA spent $200,000. last summer to fortify our foundation--they don't want any mud on there face in the event that we get vacated when they start to pound the subway walls in place on our side of the avenue in a month or so. If any one thinks I'm a little buggy it aint just cuz a the bbs. We got a WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN gOIN' oN.)

That being said--this hundred year old tenement has its problems-- i've been thinking for awhile about calking the areas where the floor is pulling away from the walls forming nice little crevices where I fear bugs might be hibernating just waiting for next summer. I don't know if I'm paranoid or actually have a point when I think about this stuff. * To my knowledge I'm the only tenent that got bugs this summer. I believe my daughter brought them back after a short hop with a sports bag to Puerto Rico. She began getting bit shortly thereafter. The bugs went for the adult child--God bless their suckn'
    hearts--do they have heart? I think not. Anyway the kid flat left me and moved to Bklyn. Good for her- she made a bug-free move. (Still PactTiting the clothes she still has here and putting them into ziplocks.) The only other bb case here was 6 years ago. The family living above me had their grandfather over for awhile. Mickey 5 Luck, the mother told me her father still living in China was staying at a hotel and brought a towel from that hotel to her apartment. The LL completely remodeled that apartment and moved the 5 Lucks to the apartment behind theirs. The ravaged babies were sent to China for close to two years before they returned. So what about the floors; to calk or not to calk, that is my question.

Thank you in advance.

5. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 2 2011 11:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry about the double bill boarding

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88