Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

has anyone tried "bug vacuums" to get bugs off books?

(5 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 20 2014 10:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that if there are bugs in my books there could be eggs, so really I should packtite, but I have a few books I need NOW and don't plan on taking them out of the house. My vacuum is strong and rips pages out of books. Has anyone tried any of those "bug vacuums" like this? Might be good for specimen collection as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-2450904-Backyard-Safari-Vacuum/dp/B000YJMHLC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1392909106&sr=8-7&keywords=bug+vacuum

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 20 2014 10:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The suction of such devices and the "professional" versions (puters) are not strong enough to overcome the anchoring abilities of bedbugs feet.

There is also the issue that the places that bedbugs tend to hang out in books would not be accessible by such devices and you are better off sticking tot he advice in the FAQ with regards books and either sealing long term or treating with a PackTite.

Sorry its not better news than that.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 20 2014 18:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

thaks david!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 20 2014 19:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries, where most people have a cupboard in the kitchen or shelve in the garage with gadgets and things they have tried I have a rack full of them in the warehouse.

Some where good ideas that failed while others were just non starters but we had to see for ourselves, we follow "Fox" when it comes to data, it's a hang over from the science and investment days. I have met people who have claimed cures to just about everything you can think of and sadly so few made through to fruition.

I may try and find the time to write about the principles of how and why we test the way we do. A lot of it draws from my earlier career. Suffice to say when you are making $40 million investments you want to make sure your thorough as your career is based on not making mistakes.

Certainly things like bug collectors, devices. gizmo's and gadgets necessity is both the mother and inspiration for always seeking solutions. I commissioned by first bespoke tools in 2005.

David

5. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 14:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, as a frequent shopper on Amazon, I am always amazed at all the things you can buy on there. I bet this one would make for some pretty interesting conversations at a garage sale. Although, it could be fun for the kids to use in the backyard to collect bugs.....hmmm, may have to think about that one for this summer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956