Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Has anyone seen stickly little black dots?

(11 posts)
  1. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 2:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the tiny little block dots...eggs or .....fecal matter? Can they stick to a rug...are they hard to pull off? What on are earth is that? They were not here before when I vacuumed and now I have to pull them off and is it associated with bb??

2. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 21:15:22
    #

Login to Send PM

can you upload a photo to a website somewhere online, and post a link here? people might be able to comment on what they think it is if you have a good high resolution photo...

my understanding is that the eggs are very very small and white-ish, while the fecal matter can be black/brown/rust colored.

p.s. the FAQ has photos of bedbugs, bb eggs and fecal matter.

3. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 23:03:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I just pulled a bunch off near my bed two days ago and flushed them. I had to use a steam cleaner to get them off I could not pull them off. Too bad I didn't think about pictures. The next time I see them I will definitely take a shot and post it. I am still getting bit about every four days (not as much) so they are still here unfortunately. Desperately trying everything that I can read about.....thanks for your advice the other day (to all of us newbies) about reading before going crazy...my heart is still beating.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 23:19:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Here, scroll down:
    http://bedbugger.com/photos-of-bed-bugs-and-signs-of-bed-bugs/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 0:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the link Nobugs. Now I am depressed. After thinking the bbs were confined to the master bedroom, tonight we found a live bug on the computer desk in another bedroom, next to the cat.

On closer inspection of the beds in here, we found casings (castings?) along the underside edge of the box spring. They look like the ones in your photo. We put the samples both of the live one we killed and the casings in a ziplock.

I do not know whether to call back the PCO we already used or go on to someone else. I don't have much confidence what he used did the job in one treatment (cyhalothorin, pyrethrins).

I admit, I'm overwhelmed. I cried a bit after Dh went to bed...depending on the extent of the problem, I just cannot see my way to throwing out photos of my children and my parents (deceased). Advice appreciated.

6. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 13:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

oh i would not throw out photos. i really don't think that's necessary. i didn't throw out any of my photos when i had an infestation, and i've come through to the other side and am now in the clear. you will too. don't part with things that will be too difficult, most items can be treated. getting rid of clutter is good, but i really don't think sentimental things like photos qualify as disposable clutter, you know?

where were the photos stored? chances are you may not have to do anything to them to treat them. if you are having professional pesticide treatments, and your pco is using a residual chemical, eventually the bugs will come out of any of your personal items (such as photos) to feed. and when they do, they will cross the poison residual.

it usually takes a few treatments, spaced about two weeks apart, to get rid of the bugs. i don't think it's very common for people to get rid of bugs in just one treatment, generally i think it's more like three, but sometimes more depending on the extent of the infestation. you just have to keep bringing the pco in until they are gone. and they will be gone eventually.

7. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2008 17:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for responding lilbit! I was sick about throwing out photos (they're in boxes, not plastic ones, just boxes. I'm just torn - continue w/ the present PCO (he used cyhalothorin, pyrethrins in a 1-time treatment...I think one of those is a residual) or go on to someone else...one PCO I called said he would use Ultracide? We haven't been bit since the first treatment but it's only been 5 days. AllerZips are on the way.

It's just a lot to think that I have to go over each photo (married 30+ yrs) to inspect and make sure they're clean. Thank you again!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2008 22:20:32
    #

Login to Send PM

belle,

Don't clean the evidence you've found. If you think your PCO is good, show them. Make them take this more seriously.

If another PCO is an option, then use the questions in the FAQ on choosing a PCO to find a good one, to treat the whole home. And again, if you find more, don't clean away your evidence! You can kill live ones and save them, but try and preserve other signs. The PCO needs to see them and where they are.

9. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2008 22:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs we ran the Dyson in the other bedroom where we found the live one, but I saved it in a ziplock and the casings in another. The live one was so small...I can't even tell.

I may call the Dept of Entomology and/or Extension Office and ask about the spray my PCO used as well as what the other PCO said is their protocol. I just want these things gone before they get to the stage that some people on this forum have!

Thank so much Nobugs, your advice is much appreciated! And lil_bit, you may have saved my sanity this weekend, I was so sad about the photo situation, thank you again.

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 9:39:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Almost all infestations spread to other rooms. Get rid of clutter but do not through valuables away you will regret that if you do. You feel that everything is suspect now and that is normal. Professionally treat. If your infestation is significant than you will be in for a war that may last a while. Bed bugs are here and they are not going away anytime soon, in fact the epidemic is growing, you are not alone. Keep fighting and do your research. Take it one step at a time and be patient.

11. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 23:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you LieutenantDan. I went to our Ag extension office today and had them photograph the suspect bug (what a surprise, it wasn't dead at all!) and email it to the Entomologist at LSU. The county agent wasn't sure what it was.

I also spoke w/ an Assoc. Prof at LSU on the phone and he said he will wait for the photo (I didn't want to give up my only live sample at this point) but that I probably will need to have another treatment and maybe a 3rd too. My AllerZips arrive tomorrow but we're unsure whether to encase yet or not.

Thanks again to all. Your info and support is invaluable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123