Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Has anyone ever had a PCO that successfully rid you of bedbugs?

(6 posts)
  1. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 20 2010 17:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is in the hopes that I am not wasting my time talking to a PCO. I've noticed (and if anyone wants to do research, produce stats on this, that'd be great) that pretty much all stories I've heard, both online and IRL feature, "yeah I had an exterminator, they did nothing for me." or, at best "yeah I had an exterminator, the bugs were gone for a little while but then they came back" (the most positive things i've heard.)

Because yeah, if PCO's simply aren't an effective method of getting rid of bedbugs (note I am not saying we should all learn to wield dangerous chemicals) then maybe a lot of us are spending too much time, heart and money on these exterminating companies that we shouldn't. And we need to go about finding a more proven method.

and as far as PCO's that claim they've had bed bug eradication successes? I simply don't believe them at this point. I've been lied to by my building's management/had pathetic excuses made to me by my building's management too many times.

2. Itchybutdealing

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 20 2010 18:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

No. Vikane gas and even that I am not sure we got them all. 4 years and counting here.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 20 2010 21:56:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my local Hydrex office come out and heat treat my apartment at the end of June in 2008. They got all the bugs in a single heat treatment, which is pretty typical for correctly done heat treatment.

Edited to Add: An important reminder to everyone reading posts here.

A site like this, while awesome because it's so informative, in many ways is not a representative sample of bed bug sufferers.

Many people who get bed bugs may simply call a pest management professional who treats the bugs effectively and quickly.

On a board like this, you're going to have a much greater percentage of folks with really tough to solve bed bug problems than if you had a truly random sample.

It's an issue that researchers call sample selection bias. If you're doing a survey on body image, for example, but your sample of participants in your study are all recruited at gyms, the group of people you're picking from isn't going to be truly random. It's a fair guess that people at gyms are going to have an over-representation of, for example, people who are potentially more concerned about body image than average or people who are happier about their body image because you've selected out a lot of people who are too self-conscious about their body image to go to a gym or who are fine with their bodies as they are and who don't feel the need to work out obsessively.

Since everyone at these boards has at least a passing influence in bed bugs, and since bed bugs gross a lot of people out, you're going to see more people on the boards who have trouble getting rid of bugs than is typical of the general population or even of bed bug sufferers as a whole.

All of which means that reading the posts here without keeping that in mind can lead to a slightly skewed view of the effectiveness of various treatment methods.

Let's face it; people who get bed bugs, hire a professional, and solve their problem do not, for the most part, hang out on the boards for long periods of time. Most people solve the problem and go back to their lives and try to mostly forget about bed bugs.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 21 2010 0:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I would guess that most people on the forums get rid of bed bugs. They just don't hang around afterwards.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 21 2010 7:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Agreed - although it has been almost a year since we were treated, I did not come back to the site until I had some funny bites. I do think about bbs all the time, in movie theaters, on the train etc. I was lucky in that I work in Real Estate and have a PCO that treats our building and has been successful (in NYC no less) I can call him anytime with questions. I never told any family or friend I had bbs for fear I would be treated like a pariah. It is a relief to find info and a sympathetic ear on this site!

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri May 21 2010 8:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Don't think for one second that you won't have to do anything but pick up a phone and let the PCO do everything though.

Follow their advice, study the bug, and win the war.

This place is on my web "drive by" anymore.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,800 posts in 49,806 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991