Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Has anyone developed resistance to BB bites?

(10 posts)
  1. IWearTheScarletBB

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 18:21:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Over the summer, when we apparently unwittingly welcomed these lovely little creatures into our home, my husband and I were getting tons of bites. Mine were little, hard bumps that I would have probably thought were little blisters if they weren't so hard. We assumed that something was biting us while we were working in the garden. At one point, we did consider something biting us in bed since nobody else was getting bit (our baby and my mom who was at the house quite a bit...even overnight)...but, when we looked, nothing was there...our minds NEVER went to bed bugs. Strangely, as I can only imagine the colony was growing and growing, we stopped getting the bites. I may occasionally have the odd bite here or there, but not the little, hard ones that I had this summer. My husband's bites have also not really been appearing. I am wondering if we could have developed some type of resistance to the BB bites, as I can't imagine that they have stopped biting.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 20:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't answer for others but from my experience people do react differently. I have a mild reation it looks more like a rash than bites my partner on the other hand breaks out in big welts. The only saving grace in this is that he has his own place and we have been checking it weekly and found no signs and neither of us have gotten any bites while there. The drawback I will not allow him in my place and if I go to his I shower then get dressed in clothes & shoes that have been stored in ziploc bags after being washed in hot water dried on how and the shoes well vacumned then placed in bags and only dress once he is in the parking lot. I take nothing with and have bought any thing I need for myself new at his place and bring nothing from mine.

I'm stil getting bit at my place but I have not after about a month and a 1/2 had them lessen any than what they already were. Now if the landlord would only do something.

3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 20:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry not dired on how but dried on high for the last post

4. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 11:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to get big welts where the bb's would bite me as did my family, but now I barely get a small red mark. Sometimes only visible shadowed by the lite. They still itch like h**l but at least I don't get embarrassed cuz I look like a freak. As far as I know that you can build up the tolerance to the bites that also will make it harder to identify them as bb's.

5. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 28 2007 1:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question. I have been reacting to my bites more lately and wondered if anyone knew why? I reacted at first but have since only been getting little itchy spots. Now in the last few days, I have been getting bigger marks and they are still itchy as all get out. I have noticed quite a few more bugs and wondered if maybe that had something to do with it? No its not from my little bug collection, Nobugs!!

6. buggedmama

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 28 2007 9:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I think something like this is going on with me. I always feel like they are crawling on me and biting me, and then when I look a lot of the times there is nothing there... but sometimes there will be a little tiny red mark like a puncture wound but nothing else. Whereas before, I also got the big, red, extremely itchy welts. I have also had a handful of small red marks... Then the other day, I had one that looked more like a mosquito bite (white and raised with puncture mark in the middle) that the swelling went down after only a few hours. I have no idea what's going on...

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Dec 28 2007 14:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been bitten over a long time due to the fact that the bedbug population in my building has never been completely eradicated but instead cycles up and down. Over time, I noticed that I get less of a reaction to bedbug bites. When I got my first one in a hotel years before my apartment was infested, I had a huge welt, maybe 3 inches across. When my apartment had bedbugs a few years later, I got itchy welts that I would scratch and they would scab over. One bite turned into a nummular discoid exzema (or something like that, I forget the exact term), which bites can do, and lingered for more than a year in a greyish brown circle the size of a quarter. Now I find that my bites are small, I don't scratch as much, I don't get welts, and they are not as itchy. I am allergic to many things and I wonder if being bitten by bedbugs over a long time is similar to the allergy shots I used to get. If the doctors kept injecting me small doses of what I was allergic to, eventually I became less allergic. Warning: I think some people will NEVER become less allergic to bed bug bites, as I seem to have done, and I think allergic reactions to bedbug bites are one of the severely underestimated health problems created by bedbugs.

8. pamela

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 20:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My wife looks like she has little pot hole,s all over her body .
    We have 100% PER CENT done every thing we,ve read about to get
    rid of these God for saken creatures It seem,s as they get into
    wounds they have all ready started We just lost all of are furniture
    and moved . Two week,s went by and guss what there here agian
    they realy make you go crazy .We spend money every month on
    pesticide.s and we can,t get rid of these blood sucking creature,s
    Can someone please help My wife is getting
    very sick and depressed send advice PLEASE ,,,,LARRY;

9. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 21:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Pamela, getting rid of bedbugs can be very difficult and the best advice we know is to get a knowledgeable pest control professional to help. You should save any samples of bugs or eggs or cast skins you find and you should call around to pest control firms in your area. There are many FAQs here that can help--click the organge bug below--including one written by a PCO with advice on how to find a good pest control firm.

If you have moved and now have bugs, which is unfortunately common, you should realize that sometimes self-treating and throwing out your furniture are not real solutions.

Please read the FAQs and let us know if you have questions.

10. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 1:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Our bites have also changed over time. My husband had huge welts...then smaller welts...and now ones that resemble the ones I have gotten from the beginning. They are smaller and pimple-like. Mine have been like buggedmama's. They are like mosquito bites,but then the swelling goes down after a few hours and I'm left with a much smaller, less/non itchy version of the bite.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes