Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Hardside versus Softside Luggage??

(12 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 29 2011 3:21:22
    #

Login to Send PM

It's time for new luggage. The zippers are breaking, plus I can't stand the thought of looking at my old luggage, wondering which bags brought home the bed bugs. Which would be least likely to bring home bed bugs, hardside or softside? Washable gym bags aren't really an option, as we need something larger.

2. CimexH8er

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 29 2011 3:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Toledo. I think this was a question that might have been posted by other newbites. I believe the "veterans" on this forum (PCOS and entos) answered that hardshell tops were the way to go WITHOUT zippers. However, those can be quite costly. I usually use a duffel bag (for weekend travel) and then Packtite it before/after I come home from my destination. However, when traveling internationally a duffel bag might not be enough (pending how many days you'll be gone). I purchased a hardshell, rolling luggage w wheels and without zippers from Rimowa. I don't work for this company, but my friends (who travel 90% for work internationally) recommended this line for their durability and wear/tear. They've had their hard shell luggages for about 8 yrs. now and my friends love the ease of movement with their luggage. I, obviously don't give a hoot about movement, I want no further bbs! Lol. I went to a local store and was so anal about the product having no zippers, being a hard shell so no fabric pockets or anything for the bbs to lay eggs and hitch a ride somewhere. According to Rimowa, it's fire proof and water proof when sealed/closed properly. I like it and it makes me feel more secure knowing that bbs can't hitch a ride into my house as the shell is made out of polycarbonite or some mixture of metal (so bbs can't really crawl on them as readily as nylon fabric). We can't have the bb problem in our household escalate anymore!

It is $$ though, but then so is shelling out even more $$$$ to reduce yet another bb infestation in the future. Hope this helps. You can prob check out Samsonite as well, but I checked and they all have zippers. PM me if you need more info on the brand I got. As a security measure, I also unpack my luggage on top of the toilet in the bathrooms of hotels as I've also read that bathrooms are usually cleaner even during the worst case bb scenaroios per David Cain.

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 29 2011 9:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a result for Samsonite Oyster Suitcases

http://www.pronto.com/user/search.do?displayQuery=samsonite%20oyster&SEM=true&query=samsonite%20oyster&adid=1194981692-7481032-0_mes&ref=samsonite%20oyster&creativeid={creative}&site={placement}&loadingComplete=true

Samsonite Oyster is the suitcase that David recommends for bed bug resistance.

Rimowa sounds like a tough suitcase... I don't think the Samsonite line is fireproof

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 0:55:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard recommendations to use a hard shell case in general.

On the other hand, I think David James suggests a soft case works better in the Packtite (perhaps David can correct me if I am wrong -- and/or elaborate on this). So if you are going to Packtite when you get home, that might be a consideration.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 8:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hard shells will work in the packtite, they could take longer to treat is all, and one should make sure to prop open the lid to get air and heat inside of the suitcase.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 9:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David. So just to clarify: should the same method be used for soft shell cases?

7. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 12:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies. Rimowa fits the bill, but it's more money than I wanted to spend. Same with Halliburton's Zero and Victorinox Mobilers NXT. Samonite doesn't have anything on their web site, but I've found several styles on the internet. Even though the reviews aren't as positive (don't hold up as well as others), the prices are about 1/3. I've decided to go with the Samsonite Silhouette. Other Samsonite models that are hardsided and zipperless, include F'Lite and Cruisar. Delsey Meridian is another choice, but very mixed reviews. Just finding these models has taken hours of internet research. I'd guess less than 1% of the luggage market is hardsided AND zipperless.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 18:30:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Been offline most of the weekend but catching up now.

As you may notice on my hotel inspection video the suitcase int he bath is what I have always called a Samsonite oyster. The key features are hard sided, zipperless and seals between the two halves that exclude the possibility of anything getting through. There are only a few overall changes that I would make to the design to make it slightly more bedbug resistant but the tweaks are so minor.

I would be less worried with better access to a PackTite as the large bright blue one cramps my international jet set man of mystery image. If I could cook it easily at both ends I would even accept zippers and bellow pockets.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 19:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yes, I did forget the Oyster. Unfortunately it sounds like old Oysters are much better than the newer Oysters. For instance, new Oysters don't have TSA locks. Here are some of the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-384443059-Oyster-29-Cartwheel/product-reviews/B000QUXO8Y/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 30 2011 19:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

No but the TSA have slipped my locks on 2 out of last 3 occasions and not damaged them in the process. I keep expecting to see a box of milk tray or a packet of millano's with a silhouette of a pest controller but sadly its always a little note explaining that they opened my bags to see what was there and decided I was not naughty enough today.

David

11. ohnotooks

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2012 14:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Giving this thread a boost. I have to buy a suitcase for my upcoming summer gig in Spain. My mom actually bought me two suitcases for Christmas. They are hardshell but zippered. I will have a nice credit upon exchange. Could someone give me a suggestion about a suitcase. A few posted above are no longer available. I need a large suitcase as I will be there for 5 weeks.

Is this one similar to those posted above?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Upright-Wheeled-Suitcase/dp/B003SNHJMI

I suppose I should go with a bright color, no?

12. ohnotooks

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2012 14:26:15
    #

Login to Send PM

This link has a nice little video. http://www.zappos.com/samsonite-flite-gt-31-hardside-spinners

I like the blue one!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,484 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk