Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Hard time preparing for treatment tommorow...

(7 posts)
  1. ItchyScared

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Nov 28 2013 1:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, and i'm so glad i found this website, it has been helping me cope since i first found a bed bug last week. I've been living in my bldng for about 4 years now with no problems. I have been getting covered in strange extremely itchy welts for the past 2 months thinking there was something seriously wrong with me. Often times it was so itchy i scratched till i bled! i still have marks & i think i will be scarred for life. Last week i found a red bug in my bed on my pillow in the morning & i squished it, and blood came out. I had heard of them before but never saw them in person. I googled small red bugs in bed and lo and behold i saw pictures of what i had just found. I knew they were here and what my mysterious welts were from. I lift my mattress and i can't find them but i keeep getting bitten! Little bastards are so good at hiding. I have treatment tommorow and im trying to bag all of my stuff and it's really difficult. its almost as if i have to put my whole apt in a plastic bag! I haven't been able to sleep properly or eat very much lately, and its hard to do so much work with no energy. i have been missing work too and am extremely embarrassed of the marks i have all over my hands/arm/ feet. I should at least be happy that their not biting my face, but im not... I was posting to see if anyone has tips or advice to make the preparation easier this has to get done by tonight and im really freaking out. It hurts me because i know my dogs have probably been getting bitten too. Im going to keep at it i have 2 more closets left to bag up but they are full of stuff.. writing this helped me feel a bit better. Thanks for listening and good luck to everyone going through this right now too.

2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Nov 28 2013 6:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Please remember that throwing good furniture away is unnecessary, especially since you will be getting treatment soon (You didn't mention what type of treatment), as for how you prepare your apartment and belongings depends on the type of treatment you will be getting. I suppose the exterminator you are dealing with told you to wash and dry all clothing, linens, e.t.c. on the hot cycle right BEFORE you bag them up? which sounds about right for chemical treatments, but if a heat treatment is being done washing and bagging stuff is a waste of time, as clothing will be strewn all over the floor before the place gets heated... IF they are doing the treatment correctly that is. Bed bugs do seem to like to bite the arms more than the face (Maybe because people generally hold their arms close to their bodies while sleeping and it makes a warm and cozy place for the little bastards to leisurely feed). As for bed bugs feeding on pets i have gotten so many differing opinions on that, with some experts like "The Orkin Man" i dealt with saying bed bugs absolutely don't like crawling through hair and therefore they will never bite pets to other "experts" saying they bite animals with the same enthusiasm they have for biting humans. My own best guess is they will feed on animals only if humans have left the infested premises for long periods and the bugs become starved, as i have dealt with an infestation for a year and a half and i have never noticed any issues with my 2 cats during that time. Anyway, good luck to you, and i hope the treatment you get will ensure all the little bastards will be meeting their maker (Satan) soon!

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  3. ItchyScared

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 29 2013 10:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE- Thanks so much for the reply! i love your name! Its satisfying to hear them pop when u squeeze them through a tissue!!! >:) I learned that today.. but more on that later. I just had the chemical treament yesterday. The dogs and I were stuck outside for 5 hours. I have birds (3 budgies) as well, but the PCO told me to keep their cage in the bath tub for treatment & close the door, and they were fine there. My whole life is upside down and in garbage bags. I dont even recognize my apt any more. i don't know how we'll ever go back to normal again. I came home and had to clean dead/ and or twitching sort of still semi-crawling bed bugs off of my bed! I thought the PCO supposed to vacuum them up.. ? After having a horrible day waiting in the cold, with no sleep the night before, i had to come back home & instead of being able to rest, I had to be close up with the disgusting bastards, reliving the whole horrible ordeal over again. Before today i only saw 1 about a week ago before calling for help.. i had to pluck a bunch of them off of my bed last night. They were nesting pretty much under the foot of my bed on the mattress tag.. *shudders* there was black stuff, and all different sized bed bugs, even eggs.. i'm so traumatized. I cant even describe how i feel! I cant go into my room anymore because Im terrified of them.. even though i just had my first treatment O_o I slept a few hours on the couch last night because i was so exhausted. Im missing work yet again today because of this and my PCO told me I have to throw my couch and mattress away! He said maybe i can keep the couch but the mattress and box spring should go for sure. im a waitress. i dont have tons of money to throw around on new furniture. Ive already lost a lot of wages since this problem started. luckily I havent been fired yet.. i also live in an apartment and im worried they have probably spread by now. I'm so ashamed and psychologically scarred, as well as physically scarred. I feel completely broken.. Its even more messed up i feel like i got bitten on the couch last night on my pinkie finger but it may be an older bite but im not sure. I'm happy I can let my feelings out on the this forum.. I know i don't have to feel ashamed here, and that I'm not going through this alone! I will start washing and re bagging the stuff in bags again tommorow, just to make sure there are none there. I didn't have time to wash every single thing before the treatment. My landlord only gave me the instruction sheet the night before even though I called him a week ago... I have another treatment same time next week I know I have to be diligent if I want to get rid of them! Is there anything I can do to ensure the little vampires all die next time?

4. NOtobedbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 29 2013 11:10:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but please spend a little time reading here as there is a lot of information. I know you don't have a lot of time but some of the things you are being told are not right...like throwing your mattress away. There really is no reason to do that. I just wanted to get on here and say that before you threw away stuff you didn't need to. I'm so sorry you are going through this. If your stuff is bagged why don't you go to work and just deal with it a little at a time. You need to keep it bagged anyhow at this point for awhile.

5. Buggy in Florida

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 29 2013 11:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

You do NOT have to 'throw away' your mattress and box spring just because you had bed bugs. Our PCO pulled the bottom cover off the box spring and then he could treat the frame with his chemicals and kill the little suckers... The PCO repeatedly told me that no we did not need to throw out the headboard, OR the bed, OR any other affected furniture unless we really really wanted to - the chemicals should do the trick.

You're not going to get them all on the first treatment with chemicals, so don't panic when you see bugs in the next few days, probably in places where you've never seen them before... ours started showing up hiding in the popcorn ceiling of the bedroom because they wanted to get away from those nasty smelly chemicals. The PCO told me to call him as soon as we saw live bugs anywhere and he came back to spray some more, and after three treatments in two weeks they're all gone now.

6. ItchyScared

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 30 2013 1:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if anyone knows if the chemical treatment kills the eggs? My PCO said that it would but i have read in some places that it does not. I'm also worried that he may not have done a thorough enough job. He never cut the gauze off of the bottom of my box spring or couch. Is he supposed to? I have another treatment scheduled for next Thursday at the same time. I wonder if that will get them all? I realize it may not. I also didn't get any new bites last night which was great, but i keep getting ghost itches. Is there anything that can stop bites from itching other than benadryl? (makes me sooo tired.) I've tried a bunch of topical itching creams even a hydrocortisone spray, but nothing ever worked! I wonder why? I've also decided to purchase a mattress cover for now until i can buy a new bed, with another new mattress cover of course. I just went into my room for the first time since yesterday to check it out and i found an adult survivor still fully able to crawl on the mattress! i squished it *slowly* and flushed it. Ugh!!! I'm just praying this will be over soon. Now every time i see a small black thing anywhere i'm like OMG is that a BB?! They literally made me crazy! lol This problem has to be dealt with one step at a time. It's definitely not easy, i know its tedious and painful, but its important not to give up, no matter how bleak or hopeless things seem with these pests! I'm not going to stop until they all die! Keep fighting the good fight everyone they can be beat! And thank you to everyone who commented on my post!

7. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 30 2013 5:46:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, You don,t want to get any old mattress cover you need a mattress and boxspring encasement. Click on ads to the right to see what I mean. It needs to be say bb resistant tested or something like that on it. Some pros on here are against them. Some approve of them. I like the peace of mind it gives me. I gotta get to work. Just wanted to say that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,821 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen