Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Happy new year! We did it. (Success story)

(9 posts)
  1. Itsgoingtobefine

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 11:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Prepare for a long story. Our nightmare began in September 2018. You know the drill, itching and weird bites and lots of denial. Two weeks later I found one. I thought i would die. I had so much anxiety and couldn't sleep. I had just started a new programme in Uni and I couldn't focus on school. We live in Sweden so treatment is on the landlord, thankfully. The PCO did tell us that our infestation was small and we found it early enough. But apparently we lived in a "very infested area" and that we had probably caught them from the shared laundry facilities. I contacted the owners of our apartment complex and they had "never heard of that the laundry facilities could be infested" or that BBs were a particular problem in the area. I asked them to share the info with the residents (how to check for them and so on) but didn't hear back from them. I started to see the PCO's car outside every other day. BS that they didn't know it was a problem. On top of everything our lease was ending and we were moving to a new apartement. The PCO said throw everything away, you'll just bring them with you. Remember that me and my SO are university students... We had just moved together and couldn't afford new furniture. I called my mother crying and she said it was ridiculous to throw everything out, which actually calmed me down.

Well the treatments began. In Sweden every PCO uses DE, or some kind of it. We have two bigger companies for pest control, and the ones who had a contract with our landlord was... not the one with actual knowledge and experience. Strike number one was their goddamn personal comments of throwing everything away, strike two was only doing the bedroom corners and around the bed. No wardrobe anything. Strike three was having OVER A MONTH between first an second treatment. I was tired and anxious and cried and fought with my SO. I ordered my own DE as a complement to washing and bagging and monitoring 24/7. (Not to recommend doing all day monitoring, you´ll go crazy) I had nightmares about them and saw them everywhere. When I was not looking for them i was googling about them. So my mental state was pretty bad. Early november we had our last treatment and then we moved. We had bought good encasements and gone through everything. I was so scared to bring them to our new place.

And you know what. It worked. It goddamn worked. Two months without anything. No bites no signs. (And i was super reactive to the bites, my SO was not. And trust me I have checked) So thankful that we didn't throw anything away. I am left with hypersensetive skin and occasional panic attacks and scars from bites. But I now live without BBs. I am very anxious to post this because I somehow think It'll jinx it all and they will come back (oh BOY has this experience made me paranoid and superstitious) but I decided I will do it for two reasons. 1. No, there is no guarantee that they will be gone forever, and maybe I will never convince myself that they are gone. But they ARE gone for now and I will have to enjoy that. I know that I can not live in fear of these forever. They will nor have control of my mind. 2. When I was in the shit I was googling all the time for success stories. I didn't find many. Because when you're done you kinda want to leave it behind, but I know I owe others to tell this story. So you know you can do it too, even if it feels hopeless. 3. Your PCO doesn't always know best. They are just bugs. We can't throw away all of our belongings just because. Humans are more rational than that.

At last, some things that helped me.
    - Do not avoid it, But do not devote your life to it either. It is a fine balance, but you have to manage your life as usual. Going to class and eating lunch with my friends helped a lot. But not getting treatment at all is probably worse than monitoring all the time, because it will just become worse.
    - Set a time limit for monitoring. Like 15 minutes a day, or once a week. Like, what are you going to do when you find them? Just cry? Yeah maybe but you'll probably feel better doing something else. (Some people recommend killing them as revenge but uh didn't work for me. I just cried when I saw them lol.) Let the PCO handle it along with your washing, drying and cleaning.
    - Call them something else. We called them ladybugs. Because both are bugs, and actually pretty harmless. And ladybugs are pretty sweet, right? And BBs became such a triggerword that I still can almost not say it.
    - A gratefulness journal. Thing I did not do, but think would have helped. Write about things you are thankful for. That you are alive, you have a home, you are healthy etc. Makes the bugs feel less scary and they get less power over you.
    - I am ever thankful for this website but... I could've spent a lot less time on here. It became a compulsive behaviour to read the same posts over and over to convince myself it was going to be fine. Well that's the trick with obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviours; the anxiety will lessen for a while, but then come back at full force, and you'll have to do the ritual again. Read the post once, but don't make it into a habit.
    - DON'T believe everything you see online. Some people (especially on reddit) will be mean and just tell you "yeah lol you'll never get rid of them and just burn your house haha" yeah well no, you can get rid of them. And for the love of god don't use alcohol on your furniture.

I hope this helps someone. You can do it. I believe in you. And once again thank you all who have helped me with calming words. Happy New Year!

2. SalsaVince

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 12:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations Fine! It is great to see a success story. You are very right about people not posting after they get rid of the bugs because they either don't think about them anymore or don't WANT to think about them anymore so it's really important to get the ending of the story like this. You make some really good suggestions for how to emotionally deal with the experience. It's definitely important to find that balance between educating yourself and not being obsessed. The daily time limit for inspecting and researching is a great tip. I'm sure this post is going to be really helpful to a lot of people who need this reassurance now and in the future. Thanks for sharing your bed bug, er, I mean, lady bug story!

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 13:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Bravo!!! Mission accomplished!!!!So Happy your nightmare is over!!!I cannot say that yet But Iam sure slowly but surely getting there!!!!!!Thank You soooo much for this post .It gives people like me much needed hope !!!I was crying reading it I felt your pain and feel your joy .Happy New Year!!!!!Thank YOU !!!!!!!

4. reoccuringnightmare

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Jan 10 2019 14:21:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for this post. Just reminds us that there is life after this. It is not the end of the world although it feels like it.

I am guilty of obsessing and reading and googling and searching, but in my case its because I haven't actually found any evidence so I'm looking for an answer because the not knowing is driving me crazy.

Thank you for your words of hope.

I needed this.

5. mp7ski

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Jan 10 2019 18:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

To be fair, you technically didn't get rid of them, you treated and then moved. I have nothing against moving if the situation calls for it as mine did due to a bad landlord, no good pcos within 100 miles, and unsuccessful self treatment. Unfortunately, my move didn't go as well. Long story short... $10000+ later in treatments and moving(vikane, replacing furniture) and still no success. Been a tough 2 years...

2 months with no sign after the move is great, most likely succeeded in getting away from them... But in my experience, 2 months isn't enough to call it.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  6. bugged-cdn

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Jan 10 2019 18:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you still dealing with bed bugs, mp7ski?

7. mp7ski

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Jan 10 2019 18:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bugged-cdn, hope everything with you is well, yes, unfortunately... I've been keeping them at bay using every method in the book, haven't seen one in a while but bites have been picking up lately again. Plan is to keep up with the laundromat trips, cimexa, and crossfire until spring hits. Probably buy a cimexa eradicator steamer and get a heat treatment and go all out all summer. If that fails, at least I'll have the best steamer on the market to keep them at bay. Don't know what else to do. Id hate to try and move again cause I don't know how I could do any better then I did last time. Been trying to stay off here to keep my sanity, these things aren't controlling my life any more.

OP sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 11 months ago
    Thu Jan 10 2019 19:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update mp7. Best of luck eradicating the little bastards in 2019.

9. Itsgoingtobefine

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Feb 3 2019 18:45:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Still BB free in beginning of February! I sometimes relapse mentally and search for them and worry a lot, but i guess monitoring doesn’t hurt.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993