Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Happy 4th! How is your progress?

(14 posts)
  1. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 8:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all -

Hope everyone takes a break from worrying about critters to enjoy the 4th (at least you are fairly safe from them outside).

How is everyone doing in their battle? I am stumped as to what is going on - After treatment last Sunday (7 days) I keep getting bitten, but the bites are really small and itch only when scratched. Look a bit like mosquito bites, but are under clothes/sheets for the most part. No one else getting bitten, nothing on the sheets (white), nothing in the climb ups, bed isolated too. Took apart the bed (did not remove the precious expensive encasements) carefully checked the whole metal frame - nothing. Can't even find any fecal!

Is anybody else having weird issues? Any good news on the eradication front? What is working for you?

Thanks and have a happy and safe 4th!

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 8:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bugnut..

Happy 4th to you too!

Don't forget that some people have skin reactions to the chemicals used to treat your home. You may be having some of that going on.

As for me...thank goodness no additional skin reactions since the other day (i think it was July 1)..so that's 4 days ago...so if there are bed bugs they should be feeding again soon. Certainly over the next couple of days, i think. I'll keep you posted. But more and more i feel more confident that it's cb larvae hairs bothering me...because even if there were bbs in the livingroom, even though i have not been sitting out there over the last 2 1/2 months, any bbs there that were hungry would have easily found me in the bedroom...so i don't think it's bbs on the sofa.

My first reaction was to tell the landlord which i did and they scheduled another treatment for Wednesday coming...but now that i'm thinking it's only cp larvae hairs (and maybe no actual larvae living there..but left over hairs from before) i plan on postponing the treatment and just working with the vacuum for a week or so (unless, of course i see a bb or get more bites while i'm in the bedroom)... since i agree that i shouldn't just have treatment if i don't know exactly what the heck is going on.

Am i thinking right?

3. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 9:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like a good plan - maybe you can ask the LL if they can have someone available, say a week from Monday. If you get more "bites" you can have a second treatment then.

I hope that it is the chemicals or fleas or something else! I do tend to be pessimistic (it works for me!) but for some reason these bites and the circumstances around them do not add up. I still have not seen ANY bugs - dead or alive- and believe me I look for them! I have another K9 inspection set for Jul 10 - 13 days post treatment. I know the dogs/handlers are not perfect, but if they do not alert, then maybe, just maybe, we are done with them. Plus I just love spending my retirement money!

Hope spring eternal!

Did you end up getting the vacuum? I need a new one - I think I busted this one - the beater bar works only sporadically.

Have a great 4th - I will check out the local fireworks - since I do not live in NYC anymore, I miss the Macy's show!

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 10:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans (and happy 4th of July to everyone else, especially the Brits;)).

It's safe to assume that our Fouding Father's had to deal with BB, too. It was probably a "chronic" nuisance, to be dealt with perpetually. John Hancock probably didn't need to worry about infesting Ben Franklin when he stayed over. They probably were both infested, though there's a curious "banner adde" on the margin of the Declaration for a "packe - tighte".

It's also Rube Goldberg's birthday. Goldberg was an American cartoonist, famous for his complicated machines for doing simple tasks. (If you visit Google today, the banner celebrates Independence Day with a Rube Goldberg style "device" for firing off a rocket.) From Wikipedia:

Rube Goldberg's cartoons became well known for depicting complex devices that performed simple tasks in indirect, convoluted ways. An example on the right, is Goldberg's "Professor Butts and the Self-Operating Napkin", which was later reprinted in the postcard book, Rube Goldberg's Inventions!, compiled by Maynard Frank Wolfe from the Rube Goldberg Archives. The "Self-Operating Napkin" is activated when the soup spoon (A) is raised to mouth, pulling string (B) and thereby jerking ladle (C) which throws cracker (D) past parrot (E). Parrot jumps after cracker and perch (F) tilts, upsetting seeds (G) into pail (H). Extra weight in pail pulls cord (I), which opens and lights automatic cigar lighter (J), setting off skyrocket (K) which causes sickle (L) to cut string (M) and allow pendulum with attached napkin to swing back and forth, thereby wiping chin.

In 1931, the Merriam–Webster dictionary adopted the word "Rube Goldberg" as an adjective defined as accomplishing something simple through complex means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

Makes me wonder what kind of machine Goldberg would have drawn up for eradicating BBs. I imagine it would go something like this.
    - Wash everything you have
    - place everything else in ziplocks
    - buy a million gadgets and powders
    - flush the rest of your money down the toilet

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 11:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto: LOL....rube goldberg...i love his designs... HAPPY Birthday Rube!

Re bbs in the Americas:

i understand that it was the settlers that brought the bed bugs to this land...i read somewhere -- i suppose one can google it -- that the early colonists brought it on heavily infested ships. Also, i understand that measles, chicken pox, typhus, typhoid fever, dysentery, scarlet fever, diphtheria, even cholera were imported by the colonists. I've read that small pox was primarily spread by the blankets given to the Native Americans but also by the warfare that was taking place. Apparently there was discussion among high British officers about a plan to introduce smallpox on blankets intentionally to the Native Americans to wipe out their number. (you can google this stuff).

and before we start beating up on the Brits along with other settlers from other places for bringing the bbs, let's not forget what we did to our own folks waaay later...as recent as 1972!! - allowing bugs to spread intentionally through the Tuskeegee Experiment! Ugh!

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmtuskegee1.html

Anyway...even with this..i still feel very blessed to have been born in, and be reared in, this country.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 14:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that small pox was primarily spread by the blankets given to the Native Americans but also by the warfare that was taking place. Apparently there was discussion among high British officers about a plan to introduce smallpox on blankets intentionally to the Native Americans to wipe out their number. (you can google this stuff).

I wouldn't say that smallpox was primarily spread by the blankets given to the first nations folks who were already here.

There is at least one very well documented case of European settlers contemplating ways of using smallpox against the Native Americans. Lord Jeffrey Amherst, after whom Amherst College in Massachusetts is named, specifically discusses his plans for doing so in letters from the time.

However, while such methods were used against indigenous folks in the Americas, the primary method of the introduction of smallpox and other diseases which were unknown in the Americas prior to the arrival of Europeans was simply the arrival of Europeans. Amherst's plan was certainly reprehensible, but it wasn't the main vector of transmission of such epidemics.

In "Of Plimouth Plantation" William Bradford talks about how when the Pilgrims arrived first in what would come to be known as Provincetown and only later in Plymouth, eventually the Wampanoags became ill with smallpox. Like many other Calivinist Europeans at the time he attributed the fact that the American Indians got sick while the Europeans stayed well as proof of God's divine providence. (Of course, those of us living today who understand immunology and epidemiology know better.)

In fact, if you want to read more about the ways that various epidemics affected the indigenous folks as Europeans arrived in what would later become the United States, Lies My Teacher Told Me has a very readable account with a lot of great footnotes that direct readers to some really good recent(ish) historical scholarship on this issue. There's a version of the book in GoogleBooks; you can read about the smallpox epidemics in particular here.

As for the 4th of July, one of my favorite ways of commemorating the day is to read John Adams's letter to his wife Abigail about the day on which the Continental Congress actually declared its independence from England.

I love the letter because there are parts of it that absolutely describe what we still do more than 200 years later to commemorate the day; and parts of it clearly got it totally wrong--including the actual day that he thought would be commemorated.

You can read the letter and look at an electronic facsimile of it at the Massachusetts Historical Society 's archives.

The Adamses--both of them--talk about smallpox a lot, as did Franklin in his autobiography. The frequency with which it's mentioned gives us a sense of how prevalent the disease was in the colonial era.

One of my favorite bits of Americana is this: John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were close friends and allies in the struggle for American Independence. Later in their lives, they became bitter political rivals. (Adams was the second POTUS while Jefferson, who was from a rival political party, was elected Vice President during Adams's term. It was partly because of the contentiousness that developed between them that people realized that the POTUS and VPOTUS needed to come from the same party because Jefferson was able, as president of the Senate, to undermine and gridlock much of what Adams wanted to do.)

Despite their falling out, at the end of their lives, they reconciled and resumed their friendship through correspondence.

On the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, both men, then aged and ill, died within hours of each other. The popular version of the story is that Adams, near death, muttered "Thomas Jefferson survives."

While a great story, that's not entirely true. No one's sure that Adams said anything other than the "Thomas Jefferson" part, and he did say other things after that.

It is true that Adams was thinking of his friend on the day that Adams died, and we now know that Adams was unaware that Jefferson had died several hours earlier.

It's the sort of alignment of coincidences, however, that most people wouldn't get away with in fiction: two founding fathers dying on the same day exactly 50 years after the country they founded declared the independence that they had worked so hard to obtain.

7. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 15:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BuggyinSocal...

Thanks for the more in-depth information. During history classes way back when, i was generally staring out the window and day dreaming...so i missed alot of this stuff. Only discovered that i could stomach the study of history when i discovered a love for the biography and autobiography which is the way i get most of my historial information. (too bad they didn't see that they could have fed it to me like that years ago).

In any event, i may just read that book (i've certainly heard of it) once my Nook arrives.

and..

your voice .....i like...thanks...

8. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 16:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Still unsure about BBs....have a couple of bites on my leg today, but we were pretty bothered by mosquitos walking around last night, and I was wearing a skirt. Not bright, but I didn't realize my bf was going to plan on a walk around a pond. Worth it, though. Still no fecal matter or blood on sheets. And some definite flea bites.

So I am solidly in the "I don't know" camp and probably going to get mosquito bitten tonight, too, for the fireworks. C'est la vie. Happy 4th, everyone!

9. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 16:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

i hope it's fleas
    and mosquitos

enjoy!

walk around a pond in a park sounds nice...tonight there are sure to be manymosquitos out and about. They've found west nile infected mosquitos here where i live..

10. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 18:47:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Same here, Deedle - West Nile and just waiting for EEE. Stay safe!! I am engaging in the old American tradition of dousing myself liberally with pesticides and enjoying the fireworks! Tonight i am prepared, wearing jeans and long sleeves...

11. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 21:35:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome! Thanks Deedle and buggyinsocal for the history lesson. So nice to get away from this issue at hand...

I got lots of mosquito bites tonight - no word if west nile is an issue where I live. My GP believed I did have a mild case of it (104 fever!) when I lived by the water in NY. Would not want to go thru that again!

I checked out Google's banner today - very cool!

12. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 21:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh that's an awesome banner! Rube Goldberg has a special place in my heart - my friends and I bonded making a Rube-Goldberg machine in high school for a class project. Can you say hell???

Hope everyone survived with not too many squito bites!

13. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 1:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ive been putting off organizing tax, employment, and other household records. After goofing off saturday, I finally organized them, and theyre in the packtite ready to be started in the am.

14. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 5 2010 9:59:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome bushbugg - bb's as an organizational tool. Another silver lining perhaps?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams