Had two treatments, still smell sweat smell in house but luckily no other signs

(6 posts)
  1. QueensBedbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 12 2009 20:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been two weeks since my last treatment and so far I haven't seen any signs of the bugs, nor have I seen any insects or been bitten by them. About a week after my first treatment I found one bug in my bed but none since then, and it's been about a month since there's been any signs of them. Luckily I had moved the day I confirmed I had them (good timing) so I was able to contain them quickly (I hope).

The only thing is, I keep smelling a sweet smell occasionally in the bedroom (near the door) and the living room (along the walls). It's not constant, the smell comes and goes, but I smell it every day. I also tend to smell the same smell when walking in my neighborhood by the apartment buildings and I also smelled it when going for a walk at a friend's in suburban NJ. Am I going crazy? I live in a Jr 1 bedroom so the rooms are pretty close together. Are these bedbugs I smell? Is my nose just really sensitive or are there bugs everywhere I go?

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 12 2009 21:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It is possible. BBs have a smell that is described as very sweet but not in a good way.

I never smelled them but David Cain has said he can and has people on his staff that can.

If in fact you can, it is a blessing.

Jim

3. QueensBedbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Sep 13 2009 0:16:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm...he's in London, it would probably cost a pretty penny to fly him out here Anyone local (to NYC)?

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Sep 13 2009 0:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are in New York, Dr Louis Sorkin at The American Museum of Natural History has a colony of BBs bugs and perhaps if you ask he can let you see if they are the smell you detect.

Jim

5. QueensBedbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Sep 13 2009 1:25:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I just tracked down his e-mail and will write to him as soon as I can. Thanks!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Sep 13 2009 13:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The odors sometimes smelled in bed bug infestations may be various things. The accumulation of blood fecal drops actually smells like something rusty to me and that's not surprising since iron is a component of blood and it sounds like oxidation is taking place. There is also odors of dead insects. I think these are the odors most people ascribe to bed bugs, but see the description below. Of course dogs, which have a far keener olfactory sense than we do, must smell something else about bed bugs than we can pick up from sniffing bed bugs. I get right down on the bugs in an infestation and try to smell them, but I don't pick up much at all. I smell the concentrated "bugs and feces and everything else" in the jars of the bugs colonies and smell the irony odor and dead insect odor. Now the "sweet" smell of bed bugs most likely is the alarm pheromone and it has been described as strawberries, sweet & sickly, raspberries, etc. I think of it more akin to cilantro and coriander (actually same plant, different parts) and possibly citronella and this is most similar to the alarm pheromones of many hemipterans (insect order in which bed bugs are classified). Agri-Facts (from Canada) April 1998 Agdex 147/20-2 described coridander:
    "Coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) is an annual herb that belongs to the carrot family (Umbelliferae). The unripe fruits have a smell that has been compared to that of bedbugs. The plant is named after koris, the Greek word for bug. However when ripe, the seeds have a distinctive sweet citrus/mint/musty aroma that has been valued over the centuries. Green coriander (also called cilantro or Chinese, Mexican or Japanese parsley) ..."
    I think the alarm pheromone smells fresh, actually. So many people may be confusing various odors with true bed bug odors.

Admin's note: see this FAQ for more on the bed bug smell, and the cilantro/coriander connection.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123