Had three thermal treatment, still getting bites,

(17 posts)
  1. quebug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 6:44:22
    #

Login to Send PM

We are in Montreal and returned in January from a trip to Antigua. We received some bites after a few days and I called a thermal remediation exterminator for help. He recommended a canine sniffer company who came with 3 dogs and who all alerted positively at our bed. We had the thermal treatment the next day. We never saw an actual bed bug but continued to get bites. They sent the dogs again in a month, they alerted positively again, this time at our bed and at a pull out couch. They repeated the thermal treatment again under guarantee and we also had the dogs check our cars, my husband's office which were negative. The bites continued so the dogs checked the adjacent condo and the common basement area all negative but they responded positively at our condo again!! At three places this time, the livingroom couch, behind our pullout couch and at the bed. We have a dog that sleeps in all these spots and we have wall to wall carpets throughout the condo. In the livingroom and diningroom we have large area rugs over the wall to wall carpet. Could this be the reason the thermal heat treatments seem not to be working? We are desperate and I am considering ripping out all the carpets and having wood installed. Will pulling out the carpet disperse the bugs? We are in Montreal and don't know where to turn for an expert on bed bugs. This is ruining our life. Does anyone have any advice, I haven't slept for 2 months and am losing a lot of weight. There is not very much choice in PCO's or canine sniffer dogs in Montreal. The thermal company and the dog handler we found don't look for bugs.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 9:27:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are going through this.

Please don't use companies who are not professional enough to actually confirm the issue before attempting treatment as to do so is no better than a guess and you can quote me to them on that one.

I would try and look for an entomologist to do a field inspection and if it comes back as not bedbugs then look for a lawyer to help ensure that these cowboys don't continue to operate in this fashion.

There are a few Canadian professionals who hang out around here so hopefully one will chip in with some suggestions.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 10:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

When you say "thermal", do you mean that a technician used steam or a heat gun on specific surfaces or objects? Or did they run heaters and bake the entire unit?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. Knock-Out2

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 11:49:46
    #

Login to Send PM

This is not the only way.. I have had success treating them with IPM approach.Hepa Vacuum before chemical treatment for adults and eggs. Prep and cooperation from homeowner is a must.
    Choosing the proper chemicals for the job, you need a dust for areas you can't spray.
    By the way.. If you treat with just heat, even? if you have a 100% kill, what will keep the house safe without a residual chemical? You will pay thousands of dollars for this fancy heat treatment and no guarantee.

Call The department of Agriculture in your area to find a company the specializes in bed bugs, they should be able to help you. Hope this helps

5. Knock-Out2

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 12:08:40
    #

Login to Send PM

6. Knock-Out2

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 12:14:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Found one more link that might help

http://bedbugsinfo.ca/

7. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 12:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am in Vancouver - so no direct help, but here goes...

A link to list of pest management professionals in Quebec AQGP - Quebec division of Canadian Pest Management Association (CPMA). Give a few a call.

Here's a link to an interactive map to find ones closer to you interactive map

I am not a fan of one dog confirming the alert of another dog (particularly with the same handler), nor am I a fan of treatment without physical proof.. You need that physical confirmation - cast skins, faecal stains, etc. All this work is done, based upon the possibility you brought them back from your recent trip. Time to step back and re-evaluate.

Are there reports of bed bugs where you stayed? Try bedbugregistry. Get some passive monitors. If you can be absent from the home for 5 days or so, set-up active monitors while away.

Keep us posted. Ken Hando. Disclaimer: I own and operate a bed bug dog service in BC Canada.

8. quebug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 13:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all your help.
    The thermal company came three times and heated the whole unit with heaters and fans each time. They gave a 30 day guarantee and the last two treatments were covered despite being after the guarantee was over. However, each time the dogs came there was a separate charge. I have ordered co2 bed bug monitors and have found another bed bug dog in the city. This dog works only as a bed bug sniffer and the handler confirms any alert with a visual verification. This dog was trained and purchased in Florida and is fully certified. We are having them come on Monday for another dog inspection. This company, if the dog alerts only treats when a visual confirmation is made. More money but at least we will get to see a bug!! I am still looking for an entomologist to try an identify the bites. A very expensive and stressful situation and I appreciate your information. I will update on Monday after the inspection.

9. BedBugMutts

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Mar 31 2012 13:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi again, - glad to see you found a canine inspection company that follows the "show me the bug" protocol.

I wanted to clarify a few points - active monitors (heat, CO2 lures, etc.) are intended to be in unoccupied rooms. Basically, no artificial lure can compete against good old fashioned humans for bait. Hence, best run, continuously, when family can be absent from the residence.

Also, the cause can not be diagnosed by the bite mark - I believe David's suggestion of the entomologist was to inspect your premises for evidence of bed bugs.

Best of luck on Monday. Ken

10. quebug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 2 2012 17:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to update our situation since today the new company owner and dog handler did a very professional search of the condo with their dog. The condo is clear and our cars are clear. We are having my husband's office done tomorrow and then on Friday the big test- our second home in the country. I am still very cautious as my husband still seems to have bites. The owner and dog handler were very professional and the dog only business. They were ready to tear the rooms apart if the dog alerted.
    We still have a way to go, but have had some good news, but I am not ready to celebrate yet. The war continues......

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 2 2012 17:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would say its extremely likely that you are in fact clear and confirmation that the first dog and thermal company are the crooks I predicted. It's not hard to spot them, they don't visually confirm, they quote 98% stats with no back up and often stress their certification by associations who perpetuate the lazy practice of no visual confirmation.

I would strongly suggest that if the office and second home are clear that you speak to a legal professional about assisting you in getting your money back.

David

12. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 8 2012 5:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I'm in Montreal also and I've had 3 heat treatments that didn't work, very similar situation, must be the same people, I'm now awaiting a 4th heat treatment

It seems that they don't have their act together for that service here in Montreal

ill try to pm you

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 8 2012 13:51:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi quebug,
    Since you seem to have found a Montreal k9 team that you're happy with and that claims they will visually verify dog alerts, can you share the name?
    Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. montrbug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Apr 13 2012 12:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have been a lurker on here for a few months now. Never having the courage to speak of my past bedbug problem. I too live in Montreal. I live in a 3 story home and have 2 small children. My children were getting bit, I was getting bit, my husband. It was a nightmare. I say was because after 6 months of hell, I can finally say my home is bedbug free. I am pretty sure that I had the same situation with the heat treatment company. They came twice and they kept telling me that the bed bug problem was gone. It was all in my head. The k9 inspection guy kept charging me. He brought his 2 dogs, and said they were gone. But they weren't. I still found bugs, blood and bites. The heat treatment company gave me a 30 day guarantee and didn't even fulfill that. I finally found another company who had k9 inspection and the heat treatment in one company. They were amazing. The owner sat down with me, spoke with me while his handler went with the dog to see if I still had bed bugs. Sure enough I did. So I had the treatment again. Even when I had the treatment I still felt like they were still there. The handler kept coming back and could not find bugs, feces, etc... The dog came back 3 times during that time couldn't find anything. I might add that this company didn't even charge me for the extra visits. It took me awhile to believe that they were actually gone. But they were gone. I hope this helps you with your fight and that there is hope out there.

15. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 14 2012 3:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi montrbug

You don't know how much I sympatize with you and can feel your pain

I have had the same exact problem as you here in Montreal, I'm almost 100% certain that it was with the same people, Quebug who originated the thread had the same issue and I believe he must have delt with the same people.

Many PCO's I've phoned have told me they've had to re-do the job that those guys did....

Why don't we get all together and get our money back?

I've had the bugs for 6 months, and NO it's NOT something else. I found eggs, shedded skins, fecal traces and blood spots on my bed, I have pattern bites.

I've had that guy with the three dog come to my place after the 3rd heat treatment didn't work (2200$) 30 days warranty, to tell me that everything is clear, only to wake up again with bites, blood stains ect.

A week later another K9 came and spotted them all over the place, in my bedroom and in my office, he also set up a treatment with heat, he was more professional and much more friendly, but the treatment didn't work.... he will redo my entire place next week, meanwhile I've had a traditional chemical treatment done as well

I hope I'm as lucky as you and that this time it will work

if it doesn't, the next step for me will be to leave and throw away everything I own, save for a few small sentimental items and move to a new place

PM me if you like I'd like to check if it's the same people

16. wantbedbugout

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Aug 5 2012 23:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I just spent th last 5 hrs reading about bed bugs.... As my tenant in our triplex called and informed us they found bedbugs... That they got from their friend's home.

I am at lost... Who to hire?
    I want to make sure it doesnt spread to the other 2 tenants place...

If those of you who had a sucessful experience can provide me with the mane of the exterminator in Montreal... PLEASE let me know.... I am so appreciative of all the comments posted. Thanks and best of luck to everyone.

THANKS!

17. BC BEDBUG EXPERT

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 6 2012 14:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

There is definately something wrong with this heat treatment company to be going back so many times on different jobs. We are a Heat treatment company in BC and have only had to redo a unit once in two years. What kind of heaters are they using, construction heaters? There is a lot of work involved for proper heat treatment not just turning on the heaters. I am very sorry you are going thru this, it's these type of company's that are giving heat treatment a bad name.

BC BEDBUG EXPERT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982