Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Had thermal treatment, still getting bites, PCO thinks it's all in my head!

(13 posts)
  1. bughater2010

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 22:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Help!
    My nightmare started about 6 weeks ago. I think the bugs came from a cheap hotel we stayed at. Sadly, though the place didn't look that clean we figured it was only one night...bad mistake!
    About a week later, I noticed these bites on my torso, some lined up in a row, some in clusters. I had the feeling they were caused by bed bugs. My boyfriend on the other hand, had no bites whatsoever. For the next few days I searched for them frantically, in all the places I thought they'd hide...nothing. I'd wake up around 4 a.m and aim a bright flashlight to my bed sheets, nothing. No specs of blood, no poop marks, no live bugs, nothings. Myboyfriend found nothing in his apartment either. However, I continued getting bites. Finally, a friend of mine who works for a pest control company in California suggested I heated the metal frame of my bed with a blow drier for about 10 min. I found one dead one on the floor about 20 min later.
    I cried, I realized what a huge problem that was. I contacted pest control companies, no one could give me a definite answer about completely killing all the bugs. I was also worried about the chemicals they use and how they could affect my cat. I read about thermal treatments (THermapure) and decided to go with them, they offered a 30 day warranty. I was so desperate at that point that forgot to ask many important questions, like "what kind of proof is needed to re-treat the place in case the first treatment doesn't work." I had to put the cost on my credit card as it was not anything I anticipated for. and live on a very limited income.
    They treated my condo and assured me they were all gone. They only found a few dead ones and that was that. They left plastic receptacles under the legs of the bed to catch bed bugs trying to climb my bed if there were any left.
    During the next few days I caulked my baseboards, dusted DE all over my house, washed and bagged clothes even though they insisted it wasn't necessary. I also bought a mattress encasement, I was not taking any chances. The bites never really stopped, they just got smaller and less frequent. I figured they were also probably a delayed reaction given that it took over a week for me to show bites from the hotel.
    Well, my warranty is about to expire next week, I called them because I was concerned about the new bites, the sales person who originally came to see me showed up with his manager. They did an inspection and found nothing. I explained to them and even showed them the bites and they insisted I had no bugs, perhaps it was a psychological reaction to what happened (a nice way of calling me crazy!) or a delayed reaction to old bites. They also advised me to remove the DE as it was extremely dangerous to my cat, it could damage his lungs. Great! now I also have that to add to my list of worries!
    These guys said that if there were bed bugs in my room, they'd be trying to climb up the legs of my bed and then get trapped in the receptacles. Since the receptacles were clean, there is no evidence of any activity. I even made a home made dry ice trap and placed it in the office, by my couch, and nothing.
    Of course, I'm still not satisfied. I contacted the only bed bug dog handler I could find in SO Florida and he told me he couldn't inspect my place because of the DE I used. It was very dangerous for the dogs as well to breathe that stuff. I was willing to pay the $400 fee only to have peace of mind and if there were bugs left, to get the Thermapure people to come treat again.
    I am stuck, new isolated bites, a week left in my warranty and a PCO who thinks I'm imagining things!
    While it is true that I can't produce a live bug, the reality is that i still show bites.
    What should I do? I just want this nightmare to be over!!!!!

2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 23:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you tried an allergist or dermatologist? I just came off the 'net reading about bites and now know there are rashes that can be caused by other insects that people think are bites.

Or, I don't know.

3. Slides

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 23:19:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you also get an encasement for your box spring?

4. bughater2010

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 6:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, both my mattress and box spring are encased and the PCO's lifted them up when they did the inspection. UUUgh! The thing is that the bites are very similar to the first bites I got. But can't find any of those suckers to save my life!
    I'm also feeling the "crawlies" I feel a bit, but when I look there is nothing there, this happens all day long.
    Please God, make it stop!

5. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 9:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Does you PCO also do chemical treatments? At this point, I'd ask them to do this. I think pets and humans are safe after 4 hours. If you're stil worried about your cat, see if someone will take it for a while.

6. miked366

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 11:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Go to a dermatologist and have a biopsy done. I was diagnosed with scabies after a confirmed bb infestation.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 11:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Read somewhere that there can be some sort of delayed allergic reaction to bed bug bites and from memory works something like this -- first you get the bed bug bite, then it sort of goes away, but then the allergic response kicks in and it looks like you've been bitten again but it's really an allergic reaction. Wish I could find the source for this and hopefully I got it correct, but if I do then this type of delayed reaction should be taken into account when the only evidence of bed bugs are what appear to be bite marks. Where there are bed bugs there should be some other evidence like either the bugs themselves, fecal stains or cast skins. You might also try either a passive or active monitor as well. And I assume you re-heated the bed frame like the first time to see if you could smoke any out.

Good luck.

Richard

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 30 2010 12:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe that of course the possibility does exist that the bugs are somewhere. Office, car etc...
    and maybe still in your home. To me it sounds like the bugs could be all dead and you are having a reaction to stress that the war has caused you. Hard to say. Buy a steamer from Bed Bath and Beyond and steam. Steam with common sense please. Steaming is pro-active. Instead of worrying you participate in the bug elimination process. Steam also kills bed bugs if applied correctly. My steamer cost around $80.00. Also BEDLAM crack and crevice worked for me.
    I have a dog and she is fine but I cannot speak on cats. Steam, inspect and clean.
    Try to relax.
    My best and a wish for success to you in your war.

9. bughater2010

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 18:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, just came back from a weekend away and found no bugs in the climb ups or the dry ice trap I left in my bedroom next to my bed, I guess that's good?
    I spent the weekend at my boyfriend's place, mind you he's never seen a bug, I'm still paranoid they might be there so I gave my cat a bath before I left his place. A I was bathing the cat, something that looked like a bed bug was floating in the water. I picked it up and really couldn't tell for sure if it was. My BF took a look at it and claimed there was no way that was a bug. I'm not so sure, but I wasn't about to argue. Oh well, I'm glad I don't have to bring a suitcase back.
    Thank you everyone for responding to my crazyness!

10. crazynow

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2011 20:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

i hate to be a trouble maker, but if you get home, and continue to have bites, i would do what everyone has suggested here (go to the doctor, see the dermatologist, etc) but then when you have done those things and ruled out scabies, fleas, etc. call your thermal co back, and demand another treatment. if they refuse, and you have continued bites, tell them you will contact the Better Business Bureau. The fact that you notified them of the continued problem before the warranty ran out should be enough. The bites alone should warrant a second treatment, i don't feel you should have to "prove" the BBs are still there, the bites should be enough. we have had several treatments, and have never found any real evidence, except the ongoing bites.. Thank Goodness my PCO is honest, reliable and took a look at my kids, and the bites and didn't quit on my when the going got tough and no BBs threw themselves in his path... we are now finally BB free for about two weeks. we hope we are in the home stretch, but he could have said well, it's allergies, or old bites, but i knew that something was biting us, even though he couldn't catch one. And I knew it was BBs.

11. makesmenuts

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2011 20:19:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a good high-powered magnifying glass for those "is it or isn't it" things.

I have cats and have DE laid down, and so far so good, even with the one that's asthmatic. The trick is in not overapplying it. I know from experience it can dry out your sinuses, but I'll eventually cut back the spots where it's located when this nightmare winds down.

One of my cats, who hides in the closet a lot, has had two or three dead BBs on his coat. There is no infestation in that closet, but it's on the other side of the wall from the "hot spot" room, so I suspect they were refugees who fled through the when that room was treated and died of the poison or DE (which lines that wall for just such occurrences). I don't think they were on him to feed, but rather that he laid on the bodies because he sleeps burrowed back in that closet. Thankfully, he hasn't had any "passengers" in a long time.

12. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2011 21:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh... the last post time really needs to be bigger or more noticeable. Too many old threads are getting revived...

13. bbdead

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 4 2011 23:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I confirm that there are still bedbugs in the house eventhough you can't find them. I know for sure of their present because of bites overnights. People said I have "mental breakdown," I and appreciate their thought, but I know I have to continue to fight my war with bed bugs to protect my children. Believe it or not, the bb I have are resistent to all chemicals that my PCO company spray for my home. The bites are smaller and last for a shorter time and are not any allergic or psych reactions. When we are away for a week or two, no one has any bites. These invisible "monster bugs" are not only in bedrooms, but are in kitchen, living rooms, office desk. When they can not bite us at night, they bite any time during the day. I am praying for more strength, God Bless me with my war on bed bugs. I have had more than 4 chemical treatments, but bugs survive. I now vacum, steam, caulk, double side tape, wash, dry everyday. After my chemical treatment contract, I will have to fight it for a while by my self while setting up traps to find one of them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur