Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Had my treatment today

(16 posts)
  1. Tim m

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 18 2017 19:22:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Had my heat treatment and border spray today. Let me tell you I have never been so happy to see complete strangers walk in my home as I was this morning lol. Still four hours later it's 100f in my apartment even with the a.c. full blast. They found no live or dead bugs while here. Only thing that got ruined was a light fixture in my bathroom from the heat. My tv's game consoles survived. Maybe tonight I will finally get some sleep.

2. Myworstnightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 18 2017 20:24:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Great to hear!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 18 2017 23:00:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Great news. Did they also spray or dust? I hope this is the end of your problem-- please keep us posted!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Tim m

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 18 2017 23:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Spray, has a 60 day effect. I hope this did the trick. They also did the town house that's attached at the same time. They are bringing in the dog to check other units. It's a 64 unit complex broken up into 8 each. They have an issue with people not reporting issues so we end up with messes like this.

5. Tim m

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 0:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in panic mode just a little. I'm starting to think this heat treatment failed I have a new bite on my arm that has that weird itch/burn that the other bites had. Also my daughter came to me and said her back itched I looked and she has a nice size bite on her belt line. And the more I think about the treatment the more I want to say it was rushed and or sloppy. I don't see how two guys can treat two big apartments mine 4 bedroom neighbor 3 bedroom in 6 hours.

6. GatorBoy1984

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 20:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The idea is to reach 120° F & maintain it for a minimal 4 hours. We do these in our business, but we don't end there. We leave it sealed overnight and return the next morning to apply dust and liquid products to ensure we do all that is possible. For good measure, we even steam hot spots and vacuum before & after thermal treatment. We then apply lure stations to monitor monthly. We also install mattress encasements on the mattresses & box springs. It is more time consuming and puts the customer elsewhere for the night. But I always explain that good service is worth the wait lol. We use all natural dust and spray which makes for a more eased mind. The spray boasts a 12 month residual control and it has worked wonders for our business. Hopefully it all works out for you and maybe it's just stress related marks. If not, get those guys back out to touch it up.

7. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 21:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

GatorBoy1984 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    The idea is to reach 120° F & maintain it for a minimal 4 hours. We do these in our business, but we don't end there. We leave it sealed overnight and return the next morning to apply dust and liquid products to ensure we do all that is possible. For good measure, we even steam hot spots and vacuum before & after thermal treatment. We then apply lure stations to monitor monthly. We also install mattress encasements on the mattresses & box springs. It is more time consuming and puts the customer elsewhere for the night. But I always explain that good service is worth the wait lol. We use all natural dust and spray which makes for a more eased mind. The spray boasts a 12 month residual control and it has worked wonders for our business. Hopefully it all works out for you and maybe it's just stress related marks. If not, get those guys back out to touch it up.

You guys definitely do more than any company in my state but 120°F for 4 hours is below the industry standard. Yes, 120°F is the kill point, but if that is where the room temperature is at, it take more the 4 hours to get thick items like a mattress or couch up to 120°F as well as any cold spots like baseboards and corners. Most companies do a minimal 130°F and then start the clock. Most I've talked to do 135°F and then start the time for 6 hours. They dont do half of the extra stuff you do which I give you kudos for but I think you'd be doing your customers a service by shooting for 130°F+.

Also, what residual are you using that has a 12 month residual... never in my time dealing with and researching bed bugs and products have I seen one that has that long of a residual... at least one that was effective except for dusts.

I definitely do give you kudos for everything else you do, but think you should shoot for higher temps. and for at least 6 hours.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  8. GatorBoy1984

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 22:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah. We set our electric units to 140°. I was just stating the kill point & minimal time. We have electronic wireless sensors we place strategically to ensure heat is penetrating. Usually takes 2 hrs to reach 120 on all sensors, then we usually continue for 4-5 hours, depending how hot it gets. I've been lucky thus far. The only call backs I've had, were due to customer forgetting about something & there was reintroducing. I.e. washing encasements before 12 months without informing us to retreat once reinstalled. But most fire systems activate sprinklers at 135°. We set those jobs to 130° & cover the sprinklers with ice filled magnetic insulated cups and wave 10 Hail Mary's lol

9. Tim m

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 22:06:57
    #

Login to Send PM

They did say the heat point was 140 They left it at that for 6 hours. And in my bedroom under my bed along the wall I can see what looks like white dried powder spots.

10. Tim m

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 22:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Maintenance in my building removed all mini blinds so they didn't melt. They also removed all smoke detectors. I'm thinking they had to of got close to 140 because it melted the box to one of my light fixtures in the bathroom and they didn't even heat the bathroom. They also had heat shields up in all the Windows. I'm just stressing and want this nightmare to be over.

11. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 6:49:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Tim m - 8 hours ago  » 
    Maintenance in my building removed all mini blinds so they didn't melt. They also removed all smoke detectors. I'm thinking they had to of got close to 140 because it melted the box to one of my light fixtures in the bathroom and they didn't even heat the bathroom. They also had heat shields up in all the Windows. I'm just stressing and want this nightmare to be over.

Sounds like they got it to temp. but even good quality heat treatments need backup chemicals or dusts. Maybe their perimeter spray will get the ones that might have bitten you afterwards. Have you done a thorough inspection since the heat treatment?

GatorBoy... where are you located?

12. GatorBoy1984

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 7:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Florida Panhandle AKA lower Alabama lol

13. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 7:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

GatorBoy1984 - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Florida Panhandle AKA lower Alabama lol

You should explain to these Michigan companies that just a heat treatment of the bedrooms and living room with no other treatment isn't enough most the time. We have some decent companies near Detroit but that's well out of my area. Companies that service central MI are a joke.

14. GatorBoy1984

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 9:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah the problem is most just wanted to take the money and run. We used to do steam, dusts, pyrethrins and aerosols. We found out that they were becoming resistant to the pyrethrins. We started doing thermal treatments. But how do you prevent reoccurances. We started using soybean oil based spray and silica based dust after the thermal was completed. It has gone quite well. Proper training and good equipment is key to any program. I'm thankful I work where we have that. Anyone of our techs can jump in & handle all aspects & phases of our treatment process. Lures and monthly monitoring & inspection is also important to ensure that it's still working. It's always good to gain knowledge and suggest ideas to your PIC. Local companies like ours are more apt to work with you and communicate more easily. How do you think I learned our methods? Customer feedback and suggestions. Learning and researching as we go & good old trial and error

15. Tim m

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 9 2018 20:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone it's been one year almost, and I'm happy to say I'm still bedbug free!!! Never needed a follow-up the company that did the heat treatment did a great job.

16. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 11 2018 9:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Well HURRAY for you Tim! Thanks for coming back to post a follow-up to your story, and congrats to your success!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger