(21 posts)
  1. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 20:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I have so many questions about what I should do next. I My landlord's PCO arrived this morning for first treatment. He came in around 11:30, I showed him what I had captured & he began inspecting my couch & confirmed bedbugs. I left while he began treatment & he called me around 1:00pm to return so he can show me what he had done.

BEDROOM[u] - lots of wood & thick carpet
    -platform bed with four draws underneath (2 on each side) - bed was difficult to move because it is solid & is on thick carpeting. He opened and removed draws treated underneath, around and behind bed, stood mattress up and sprayed base (mattress already was encased approx 2yrs ago). Opened draws and doors to my taller dresser, nightstand and large wardrobe - treated (I live in a small 1bdrm with big furniture & one closet) I had left a large portrait in a bag (not plastic) hanging on hook in closet along with a back & a cloth storage bin.

LIVING ROOM and ENTRYWAY[u] - wood floors
    -removed cushions to couch (total of six - I had already wrapped and taped up two cushions & threw them out with the warning bedbug label fixed) he treated cushions, inside seams and crevices, turned couch over treated underneath, poked a small hole in the underside material & treated. He treated the 2 five shelf bookcases (books & CDs were left on shelf) and perimeter. Closet treated - left inside was a large suitcase 2 coats hanging in plastic - a large box of wine glasses - box of new pots - box of white glass candles. Treated around entertainment unit - I had removed my DVDs but left the CDs. I did not clear out the cabinet under the unit & I do not believe he opened it. I do not recall him telling me that he treated around my computer stand - which has now become my retreat ( eat, drink, watch tv - from my small computer desk) :-(.

His instructions were for me to vacuum paying particular attention to the perimeters. Vacuum wood floors. He told me that I can return to my apt in 2 hrs (I returned 5hrs[i] later - so stressed). We scheduled a follow up in two weeks. He found nymphs, casings etc behind my bed. He instructed me to notify my neighbors to left and right of me & the neighbors directly above and below me (I live in a four story walk up with a total of 23 apts). I informed one of my next door neighbors today & she rang my doorbell this evening & it made me feel good that she didn't treat me like a leper. We talked for awhile & she told me to send the PCO to her apt when he comes for my second treatment. My PCO also instructed me to contact my landlord and tell him to come and seal up the cracks in the walls and paint (I am way overdue for a paint job & I live in an old RS building) And on top of ALL that I am going through, I noticed large water marks in my bathroom ceiling - UGH!!!!!! They have been doing major bathroom repairs and renovation in the apt upstairs.

I purchased a Windtunnel HEPA filter vacum, until now I had been using a small vacuum and will be purchasing a PackTite by the end of this week. I'm concerned about vacuuming any of the treatment away. I am trying to map out my daily mobility 1) what to do with my clothes when I come in, 2) not transferring these buggers to other locations like my workplace - I have already imposed a self quarantine - not visiting anyone or anywhere (movies, restaurants) and not buying any new clothing, bags or shoes, until I can reasonably believe they are gone. I have anxiety about sleeping in my bed tonight because I think the treatment has got them on the move more so now. I have read so much information on this site & links within the site and although I still have anxiety - reading through the posts have brought it down a notch.

A couple of other concerns are the return of my pet & mother to my house. My pet will return tomorrow & I believe she was a victim of bedbugs. She would lay directly over the area where they are on the couch. I am contacting my vet tomorrow for advice. I'm trying to have my mom stay away until after second treatment. She is a recent cancer survivor (successfully completed treatment) and in hindsight, she was the main victim of the bedbugs (we thought the red marks and itching were from treatment).

There is so much information to go through & it feels my world has been turned upside down. Any advice give to move forward is soooo appreciated & I would so much like to give a hug to NoBugs the site owner for creating this site & all the other professionals (P Bello, Killer & David-PackTite & all others whose names I cannot remember) for providing their expertise. Thanks to all posters who also provide valuable information & for making me feel like I am not alone in this battle.

2. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 20:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

One other thing - I noticed there is a SofaSafe Bed Bug Proof Couch Encasement available. Is this a good idea since I have already had my first treatment?

3. DepressBCofBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 21:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello I'm new but would like to hear from someone on this question also!

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 21:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll let the pros answer your questions (I'm a newbie). A couple of things I'm fairly sure of from reading the posts:

Glad to hear the 1st treatment is done. It sounds like it was pretty thorough but I'm not an expert.

1. Platform beds can be difficult to treat (with drawers). The pros can speak to that.
    2. I keep on saying I'm going to do a computer chair in my Packtite Closet but never have.
    3. Your dog should be ok (I know you are worried). If your dog has hair, BBs don't like hair. Buggyinsocal traveled a lot and thought her cat probably got bit and there have been other posters. The pros seem to say that BBs first choice is us and they only go the animals if they have to (and rarely in the hair).
    3. Congrats to your mom! It is so confusing with cancer due to all the symptoms. I've had radiation but no BBs. Depending on where her radiation is, it probably could impact how she reacts. People here discuss prickling sessions. It's been almost 5 years and I will have a lot of prickling and almost a stinging sensation where my burns were the worse. It's worse in the sun, or if it is very hot, etc. I also feel a crawling sensation on the side where the radiation was. If she had tatoos related to the radiation, that is where the stinging is sometimes the worst (entry point if I understand right). It's a bummer, but it's the price you pay. I was an outdoorsy person before radiation. I still am when in the morning and in cool weather. I buy the SPF 50 clothes and stay out in the heat. It DOES seem to get better every year My skin has always been sensitive and very allergic (cats, dust mites, certain foods, etc...skin is worse in places where I sweat..ie behind the neck). So, I'm hoping the skin issues were BBs and she'll heal quickly.

Wish I could help more.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 23:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dsantos,

Yes, the couch encasement is a good idea.

Questions/comments:

> How did they treat your apartment and what did they use there?
    > I may have missed it but how do you think you got BBs in yout unit?
    > The PCO told you to tell your neighbors? (In my view this is not your role but that of the LL.)
    > I do NOT think it is a good idea for your mom to visit your place for health concerns. While I may be wrong about this, I'm likely way to conservative so, why take the risk???
    > For the most part, vacuuming should be OK.
    > When they treated your couch, did they turn it over and cut off the underside dust cover material or did they just use the hole you mention above?
    > Were there one or two guys doing the BB work at your place?
    > What kind of pet to you have? (perhaps I missed it in your post)
    > Yes, BBs can and do feed on certain pets. I know you said you're going to ask your Vet however, unless he/she has BB training & experience, my guess is that there won't be much viable advice from that source. This is NOT to disparage veteranarians however, it is what it is.
    > Did they completely disassemble your platform bed for inspection & treatment? (ANd by completely, I pretty much mean completely!)
    > Did they provide you with product literature, labels and msds for the products used in your place?
    > Where are you located?

Please advise on the above so i can provide you some additional advise.

Thanks much ! paul b.

6. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:00:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Theyare

Congrats to you and your 5 yrs! I hoped as well it was due to my mom's radiation treatment but it was confirmed today that she too was exposed to bedbugs (she prefers to sleep on my couch - does not like that my mattress is to "hard"). I don't want her back here until after the second treatment and I'm able to do more thorough treating. Trying my best to make the environment better for her.

I do understand the difficulty with platforms, particularly in a small space. The PCO even asked how I was able to access one of my drawers since it was so close to my nightstand - lol. But in any case, I believe he did what he could given the layout.

I think my lil baby (dog) was a victim. Weeks ago I noticed red spots on her belly and she wasn't feeling well. I took her to the vet & got the usual meds and now in hindsight, it may have been the bugs and not her usual issues (she's a sensitive lil thing). She likes to perch up on the couch where the bugs were found most prominent.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Dsantos, per Paul Bello's comment, you may want to have your mom ask her oncologist about visiting. I found it better to ask, then to go in and get scolded for something you did. If the oncologist isn't worried about pesticides, then it's ok. If she had chemo with radiation, her immune system may be down.

I remember now. It was flowers and herbs (allergic). Radiation isn't that tough on your immune system (vs. chemo), but there was some lung damage and they didn't want to risk allergic reactions on already problem lungs. Radiation (and more so chemo) patients are very tired for weeks afterwards and it's hard to remember everything they tell you.

8. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

DepressBCofBB - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hello I'm new but would like to hear from someone on this question also!

I really hope so too Depress.

After treatment, for some unknown reason I cannot sleep.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Dsantos and Depressed,

Paul Bello is a PCO and he thought the sofa encasemenet covers are a good idea. Maybe some other PCOs will weigh in.

So sorry about your dog! It's really hard to know the bites are bites on us and dogs are prone to various skin allergies, ticks, fleas, etc. Don't blame yourself.

Your mom will feel better every day in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine going through BBs and cancer. Thank goodness she's recovering, so it's just BBs (which people get over all the time).

Good luck

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:24:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Folks,

Sofa encasements are a recent development having been introduced in the past six months.

One of the reasons I like them is that couches are very difficult to inspect/treat with all the inner frame work and fabric where BBs can hide so easily but are difficult to access wfor treatments.

A BB proof encasement helps solve this issue !

Hope that helps ! paul b.

11. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 0:55:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank for your response P Bello

I'm going to try to answer you questions point by point as best I can:

1) How the apt was treated - I asked pre-treatment & after and was told but not specifics. My fault for not delving further & in my anxiety forgot some info. But I have composed questions for follow-up questions which I will do so by Monday.

2) Not sure how BBs came about. But I went on a cruise vacation Memorial weekend, thought I did all precautions - laundered all items in suitcase - did not place suitcase on couch or bed. Had a weekend trip to another state at the end of Oct - did not use the same suitcase. My Mom goes between my house & my Sister (Sister and Fiance travel frequently). She at my Sis house for the last week in Aug.

3) Yes the couch has been overturned and it was dusted. I told him I'd turn it back after vacuuming. The underside of the couch was not cut and upon further inspection he opened three to four holes that I can confirm (the underside is black material & my flashlight battery is dead, can't confirm anymore right now - flashlight overuse) - There was only one guy onsite.

4) I have a small 11 pound Silky Yorkie & I think she needs a therapist (her routine has been disrupted and she is on edge as well).

5) The bed was not disassembled. He tried to move it, I should have informed him about my bed so that he may have been able to have assistance. But given the small area I'm not sure what else could have been done. I do see dusting powder around the perimeter & underneath.

6) Unfortunately I was not provided with any literature - but realizing this, will follow up with a request for the info to be provided.

7) And I am in the NYC area

I hope I was able to provide information to assistance pertaining to my concerns. I will be purchasing the couch encasement, but should I do it after the second treatment or now? On another note, should I steam my couch or have it discarded (after second treatment)?

Thanks Again for Assistance and Advice

DSantos

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 1:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

OK thanks.

I have some concerns on your behalf and my intention is not to cause you further alarm. However, I'm committed to providing the best information & advice that I can.

Please be certain that the information you provided was correct.

Some comments on this information provided: (Perhaps KQ can chime in on this as well !)

> It's difficult to thoroughly inspect & treat a couch without the complete removal of the bottom dust cover. This goes for a box spring as well.

> Your dog will get over it eventually.

> No labels? No advice or documentation on the application of pesticides in your home? And, in NY ? A professional applicator is required to provide such information. And, while these regulatory requirments may vary from state to state, NY has amongst some of the best regulations in the country. And, being a formerly licensed applicator in NY, I'm fairly certain that providing such information would still be required.

> Just one person conducted the treatment work at your home?

> So, if the bed frame was not adequately dissasmbled, are you comfortable that all the potential BB harborages were adequatley inspected and treated?

> Did they tell you that there would be a follow up service ? And, if so, when ?

Paul B.

13. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 2:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok P Bello - I got it...So appreciative of your info

So the PCO should have removed the bottom cover of the couch - I will ask him about that ASAP. Regarding the box spring, I don't have one, only a mattress (good thing?). I have a single mattress which has been covered by one of the accredited bedbug covers for approx 2yrs. I have had no noticeable issues until recently finding 3 bugs within the last 2-3 weeks. The top base of my platform where the mattress rests does not provide evidence of bedbugs (no fecal, skins etc) and I have checked previously and my check raised no alarms. But with that said, the PCO said he found nymphs & casings behind the bed at the bottom base of the bed. I do have a scheduled follow up within two weeks. He also left sticky monitors (?) to check for growth and the like?

The PCO instructed me to vacuum, paying close attention to the perimeter areas. He advised steam cleaning the couch to try and save it.

Well it doesn't surprise me that the PCO my landlord uses does not provide required information. Since I'm new to this, I myself was unaware of the requirements & I'm sure either my landlord is unaware as well or he is hoping that his tenants do not do the required research. Typical with my experience with them, but along with my call about the couch underside, I will ask them to provide me with the products & steps used during treatment.

Mr. Bello - I am not comfortable with anything in my apt right now- that is why I am still up & awake -lol. I'm going to have a glass of wine (actually 2) which I will hope mellows me out so that I don't care about the bedbug issue.

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 2:24:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Mr. Bello is my dad.

Let's get you at least comfortable as best we can.

If your bed was well treated and you've had limited issues thus far, then perhaps you can go ahead and hit the hay on your bed.

Keep us posted on your developments.

paul b.

15. DepressBCofBB

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 2:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Dsantos I understand exactly how you feel with exp. insomnia. Which is why I am up also at this time! I'm so anxious and OCD over this issue!

16. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 11:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok P Bello no more "Mr." :-)- Thanks - I made it through the night - slept well.

Starting to vacuum. I will keep you posted - Have a Good Day

17. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 12:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Post BB sucking up Vacuum Treatment Alert:

When we use our vacuum to suck up BBs and eggs there is a slight risk that there may be surviving BB crawlers and viable eggs remaining in the vacuum. It's a slight to zero risk with my vacuums but a risk nonetheless and our goal is zero survivors.

As such, we need to treat the vaccum. Here's some suggestions for this:

> Heat it. If you have a packtite, use that !

> If not, you may consider using a hair dryer. Place the vac in a suitable container, be sure the container is off a concrete floor, use a suitable cover to retan the heat, use the hirdryer as your heat source.

> Some folks tell me that they "spray into" their vac as it's running but this may serve to spread pesticide smell as the running vac exhausts it so, let's not do this.

> If it's a bag type, be sure to seal the used bag in a plastic bag and discard it.

> If it's a container/filter type, you may run the vac and suck in the heat from a hair dryer to heat treat the filter/debris container.

In any case, be careful, assume that BBs are in the vac abnd leave no survivors !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

18. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 13:28:15
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello

Thank You for the vacuuming warning. I started vacuuming the wood floor & crevice in the area farthest from the couch near my entertainment center where I have not seen activity. I then instinctively stopped because I thought about just what you have said - I would need to heat the vacuum to make sure they are dead.

I feel so lost right now - urgently need to get that PackTite. So your advice would be NOT to vacuum unless I am able to do the heating method? And I will be contacting the PCO tomorrow about providing me with documentation about products used. Is there anything I can do in the meantime - my lil dog will be home this evening & I'm so concerned.

Thanks again

19. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 15:28:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear dsantos,

For the most part BBs are destroyed by the physical action of the vacuum however, that's in MY VACUUM ! Note that I have yet to find a surviving BB in one of my vacs post treatment work but I'm not taking any chances with my equipment, my vehicle or my home opposite BBs.

This said, you can go ahead and vacuum as it is a viable control methodology however, you need to be cognizant of the fact that you need to treat the vacuum " just in case" !

Herein lies the problem; you need to vacuum right now but don't yet have a packtite unit. You should vacuum now however, so, what are the alternatives:

> Seal your vac in a plastic bag until you get the packtite.

> Use an alternative heat treatment until your packtite arrives.

By time you order the packtite, it ships and arrives will be a few days. It's your house and your BBs but I wouldn't wait that long to do any needed control work ! ! !

Good luck, hope this helps ! paul b.

20. dsantos

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 15:35:33
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello

I'm learning alot from this forum - I have already bagged the vacuum & taped up the enclosure since the bag did not reach top of handle to enclose. I have just ordered my PackTite I'm just hoping this vacuum with fit inside.

DSantos

21. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jan 8 2012 15:44:59
    #

Login to Send PM

You can also use two bags to seal it in.

And, you have the additional option of placing a pest strip in there with the vac too.

pb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316