Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Had condo meeting, other residents not in support of treatment

(8 posts)
  1. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 10:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

So after the BB dog hit we called a condo meeting, we live in a three unit building managed by the residents. The other two units voted against treatment as there is no specimen of the bugs found.

Any thoughts on what we should do now. Should we treat our unit? Should we wait for a specimen?

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 10:34:13
    #

Login to Send PM

In my town, I've noticed most condo owners vote down bedbug treatment, just as you've pointed out here. It costs owners money, and it is in then in the records that the condo was treated for bedbugs. This lowers the selling costs of **all** condos in the building, and can leave units on the market for months. A homeowner makes a decision alone, a landlord is usually forced to treat...but condo owners? The committee-decision process is very difficult anyway, but even worse when it comes to something you can't see that will lower your property values! There was once a person on this board who wanted to present some information to her condo about bedbugs (a great idea since education and awareness are critical), and the condo association didn't even want to hear information about bedbugs.

3. DieBBS

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 10:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

eatingmealive - 44 minutes ago  » 
    So after the BB dog hit we called a condo meeting, we live in a three unit building managed by the residents. The other two units voted against treatment as there is no specimen of the bugs found.
    Any thoughts on what we should do now. Should we treat our unit? Should we wait for a specimen?

Well it will only be a matter of time before they are in your neighbors condo as well so I would imagine once they are gettng bit....their tune will change...REAL QUICK! Best of luck to you!

4. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 11:12:31
    #

Login to Send PM

We do have one owner is going to put her unit on the market this spring, which I am sure plays into it. We intend to hold our unit for the long term even once we move out, so find it in our best interest to treat. The PCO I have been speaking with is willing to treat just our unit, even though it is unusual. He'll do 3x, but without treating the building as a whole he will not guarantee. I am thinking we'll move forward with this as we need to do something and I feel that a PCO treatment is better than self treating. Further we may also do thermal treatment of our unit in conjunction with the PCO.

I am very curious what people think about that sort of plan.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 11:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to spin the idea of tenting and having a Vikane treatment which, in order to kill BBs will certainly eliminate termites.

Termites don't have the same stigma

Jim

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 11:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do a thermal in conjunction with your PCO, I would suggest the PCO be used for a *residual* application only. Perhaps drilling the walls and applying DE?

The thermal will do the job inside the building, but a preventative in a multiunit builing is wise.

Bes of luck!
    Tony

7. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 11:24:40
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Try to spin the idea of tenting and having a Vikane treatment which, in order to kill BBs will certainly eliminate termites.
    Termites don't have the same stigma
    Jim

I think the cost would forgo the ability of people to afford this, at this time.

8. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Oct 30 2008 12:23:37
    #

Login to Send PM

What about purchasing one of the new bed bug monitors soon to be on market? I know they aren't out yet, but the first release of the Nightwatch is due out in about 2 1/2 weeks...(and yes I'm counting the days). If perhaps you could catch one you would have proof enough for them.

I'm so sorry, ignorance is not bliss when it comes to these guys, and your neighbors wishing to remain ignorant instead of at the minimum arming themselves with full KNOWLEDGE of these bugs, is not a smart step.

Hang in there!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19