Had 1st treatment today...

(5 posts)
  1. jknyc

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 15:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a studio apartment in NYC and recently realized I had bed bugs. After having the PCO inspect, he found what he considered to be a small amount of evidence of bed bugs, and didn't think it should be too hard to treat.

Today he came to do the first treatment. I've moved all my clothes into large garbage bags until I can slowly start going through and washing them. Moved everything out from under my bed and took my 2 cats to a friend's apartment for the day.

The spray treatment he used contained, sorry if I get the spelling wrong, Exponent and Gentrol I think he said. Has anyone had experience with these to get rid of bed bugs? He sprayed the bottom edges of my box spring, didn't spray the actual mattress...I have a allergy encasement on it right now (planning on getting a better one after the 2nd treatment) and I assumed that was why he didn't spray that as well. He also went along the baseboards in that room and the entire living room (I have a studio apartment, so these are almost the same room, just without a door or wall in between), and then along the baseboards in my closet.

He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable with the questions I was asking and said I should only need 1 more treatment or a 3rd if I choose to have it (my building pays for this, so the cost isn't an issue, but I just started a new job recently and for these days I have to be home for the PCO to be here I'm missing a full day's pay...so my plan is only to have the 2 treatments and hope for the best).

From what the PCO has done so far, and me bagging up all of my clothing, bedding, etc, does this seem like the proper steps that have been taken so far? I am going to set up my 2nd visit for next week and want to make sure that if this is the last time I have them come that I have everything in order and know exactly, if anything, what else I need to ask of them or have them do.

2. 4blossoms

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 17:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I've heard on the forums here there is some debate over the use of insect growth regulators. It might be worth it to google the term on this forum. I'm in your shoes as well--I think I have a small bed bug problem and will be missing work for the 2nd time to wait for the exterminator to come by. I think if you have a number of piece of furniture including a bed frame, couch, dining table, chairs, chest of drawers, etc. the bed bugs will be very hard to eliminate because of all the hiding places. When I found out I had bed bugs I stopped buying furniture and just have computer desk, couch, mattress on the floor and boxes of books. The books are all going into sealed plastic bags and stored in my mom's basement. The couch and desk might get tossed out because of all the hiding places in them. If your landlord isn't a deadbeat cheapskate like mine you might get a good and effective exterminator who might be able to eliminate the bed bugs quickly, but from my experience so far these insect are extremely tenacious and difficult to eradicate with just 1 or 2 visits, save for drastic and expensive 1-shot measures like vikane gas or thermal treatment.

3. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 22:29:38
    #

Login to Send PM

JKNYC,
    Something to think about... I laundered/ziplocked all my clothes at first. Was bite and evidence free for a little over a month, and then unbagged my clothes. The next morning, I had evidence that the bugs were back. I'm sort of anti-bagging now because of that. I think at least one other Bedbugger had a similar experience. Just either be sure every single thing is UBER-heat treated, or maybe consider not bagging? Like I said, just another thing to think about.
    Good luck to you. The first treatment is a good thing, a move in the right direction, and I know you must be feeling more hopeful. Be calm and carry on... it may take more than 2 treatments (on average, it generally does).
    FOAB

4. MBcowboy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 25 2010 16:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Residual chemicals can not & should not be used on any furnishing where human contact is likely. Growth inhibitors are effective if you are dealing with successive generations and have time on your side. The same can be said of DE - neither is an overnight solution but intended for the long haul.

Bagging of clothes, belongings, etc. should only be done for 2 reasons: 1). To isolate awaiting treatment or 2). Have been treated and are being kept isolated.

If you bag and do not treat belongings, unless you keep them sealed for 2 years you may reintroduce bed bugs to a bed bug free environment.

Good luck & educate, educate, educate.

5. jknyc

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 25 2010 22:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

MBcowboy - 6 hours ago  » 
    Residual chemicals can not & should not be used on any furnishing where human contact is likely.

Is the Exponent the residual chemical?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45