Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Guess what they do with used mattresses?!!

(6 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 13:45:12
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a large chain of mattress stores here. I asked them what they did with the used mtttresses, as I was concerned with bed bugs. "We put them all in that trailer over there. Then some guy comes down from Detroit to get them. He re-covers them and sells them or donates them to homeless shelters." I thought I was going to vomit right in front of him, when I heard this! Isn't this illegal??

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 14:14:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I can answer my question. I found out it IS legal to sell used mattresses in most states. Some require a special label if any of the parts are "re-used." I just wonder if this is being enforced.

3. sickofbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 18:47:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleep Country donated beds for the athletes village for the Olympics. Several suites had bed bugs, news articles said bedrooms were vacuumed and cleaned, and new linen put on and voila bed bugs gone, not to worry!

Read several months ago, Sleep Country when asked what they did with all the mattresses, they said they cleaned them and donated them to homeless shelters. I called and asked how the mattresses were treated and was told that they just were. Here in Vancouver, shelters are plagued with bed bugs. So easy to blame the poor. it wasn't the poor who brought bed bugs to the athletes' villages. I decided then I would not be buying any mattresses or any of their products from them and told them so.

sickofbugs

4. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't believe the "donating to homeless shelters" line. I don't know how big Sleep Country is, but Banner Mattress delivers at least 12 mattresses every day in our area. If they furnished every homeless shelter in our area with mattresses, it would take them less than two months. I think they're selling them.

I talked to the warehouse manager today and he claims they've never picked up any mattresses with bed bugs. I asked him how he knew. "Because if my guys touched one of those mattresses, they'd have bites all over their hand. None of them have complained about bites." I asked him if he or his drivers even knew what to look for on the mattresses. "We'd see the bugs" was his answer. I told him he should spend 20 minutes on the internet to see what they look like. "I don't have 20 minutes to do that." They did agree to start putting the used mattresses and boxsprings in plastic and tape them up, but he wouldn't agree to seal new mattresses in plastic. They deliver them with "breathing holes" in the plastic.

5. recoveramerica

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 18:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We are a Toronto based mattress recycling company Recover Canada Limited,committed to bed bug control and elimination; we have three furniture retail chains as recycling clients. Sleep Country is not one of them.
    Please visit our web site http://www.recovercanada.com.
    We welcome all who advocate a ban on the donation of used mattresses to charity, unless the mattresses are heat treated at 230 dgrees fahrenheit, according to the State of California regulations. We have the technology to do this, should any retailer choose to ask.

6. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 23:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I know an older woman in NYC whose daughter bought her a new mattress via some we deliver 800 number. Poor woman couldn't sleep--had bad allergic reactions to it. She made her daughter send it back. Somewhere in this she discovered This Was No New Mattress.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111