Got second treatment - have some questions

(6 posts)
  1. evergreen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 23:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

After our first treatment, we caught 5 live BBs - 3 adults and 2 nymphs, and found about 6 dead ones. The PCO came 10 days later (which was 2 days ago) and did the second treatment as well as put the encasements on the mattresses and boxsprings. I asked what they would like me to do about the items that were placed in the clear contractor bags (non-washable/dryable things). The PCO said that he would inspect the bags and spray pesticides into them and tie them up if he sees any BBs in them. Otherwise, I am to leave the belongings in the contractor bags until we are cleared of BBs.

So, does that sound right? I'm worried (OK maybe almost paranoid) that there may be BBs hiding among the items that we bagged up. Part of me wants to say, relax, and trust the PCO. On the other hand, I will be kicking myself if there were some hiding among the bagged item, and they end up re-infesting our house after we take them out of the bags.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks!

(Oh, and, the day after the second treatments, the kids each got a small bite, and then I found a dead adult BB in the master bathroom tonight.)

2. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 0:41:01
    #

Login to Send PM

evergreen,

It's hard to say. My husband unpacked right the next day after our second treatment and in someways that could be a good thing because if there were any bugs in the bags, they would have come out and died crossing treatment. Me on the other hand (nearing the 9 month mark bb free) I still haven't unpacked a lot of stuff. My closet is full of x-large ziplocks bags. I'm still too chicken to unpack and hang things up. I want to get this place really really organized and in "normal" order again, I just can't bring myself to do it yet. Depends on the person. What do you want to do? I think that most people keep things bagged until the coast is clear.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 2:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear evergreen and Jenn28,

Not claiming expertise, but if treatments etc. you've already paid for have cost hundreds of dollars, would it be commensurate to invest additionally in a PackTite for around $300+ which can clear all those things which can't go in the washer/dryer so you can get back much closer to "normal" much more quickly.

Note also that it's a long-term investment which won't have to be repeated if, heavens forbid, you ever get re-infested.

(I have no connection to that product. I have bought one myself and used it and it does seem like a good product.)

jrbtnyc

4. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 10:33:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The PackTite can help for the bagged items. Ask your PCO about NUVAN Pro Strips. They can be put inside the the bags and left with the item for X amount of time. Those might help as well.

5. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 11:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc,

Thanks for the advise but packtites are not available in Canada. If they were, you can be sure I'd own one. I would worry a heck of a lot less

6. evergreen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 23:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Jenn28,

Thanks for sharing what you've been going through. It's good news that you are 9 months BB free, right? But I know what you mean about being hesitant to unpack your things, particularly the ones that have not been treated.

Yeah, the PCO said that he didn't see any BB activity when he came for the second treatment. So, he didn't spray anything in the bags. But just earlier tonight, I saw another dead adult BB - it wasn't there yesterday. So, the treatments are working, but that means we still have BBs crawling around.

DustinBBKiller, thanks for suggesting the NUVAN. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that they can only be used in uninhabited structures. Can someone please comment on that? If we can use them with ppl still living in the house (with 3 young kids) then I will ask my PCO about them.

As for Packtite, my husband doesn't seem to eager to spend the money. It will probably give me peace of mind. Do ppl think it is necessary (in terms of BB control, on top of what chemical treatment)?

Thanks for your help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970