Got rid of bed bugs, saw one again

(5 posts)
  1. bedbuganger

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 15:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So last year around this time, I had a bed bug infestation, it made me extremely anxious all the time, and I could never sleep well. After a while, I told the landlord, and had the house treated twice in August of last year, with a two week gap in between each treatment. The final treatment was August 18 2016 I believe. After that, the number of bed bugs dropped by a lot. From the day of the final treatment, all the way to November, I saw a total of probably 5 or so, in comparison to the 5 or so I was seeing a week in June of last year, this was great. And that was the last of it, after some point in mid November 2016, they never appeared again. But today early in the morning I saw one in the bathroom, and immediately started panicking. I killed it, but I really thought it was all over with. And yes, I confirmed that it was indeed a bed bug.
    So I have 2 questions:

1) I did nothing in order to get bed bugs again, so I have to assume this is from last time, but the thing is I haven't seen a single one in 6 months, so how is it possible they're just appearing again? I know they can hibernate, but I would assume not every single bed bug in my house would hibernate at the same time. I also didn't get any bites since the final treatment.

2) Should I immediately contact my landlord and get the house treated again? It seems to have helped out a lot last time? Or should I wait to see if any more will appear before I act. I already plan to go and wash everything and put it all in the dryer on high heat just in case.

Thanks a lot for any responses, I truly appreciate it and hope I won't have to go through what I went through last year again.

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 16:11:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you check your mattress, headboard, baseboards, curtains, wall hangings, etc. regularly? Because it doesn't make sense that your last treatment was August, but you kept seeing them until November, yet they just went away. Normally I would say that no one could have them for 6 months with out noticing them. But I don't understand how they would have gone away in November if the last treatment was August.

If, by chance, residuals killed them off then and this is a reintroduction you need to figure out where you got them. Do you know? Do you have attached neighbors or an issue at work? You need to figure out where the problem is?

Yeah, you need to contact the landlord to figure out what's going on, and then get treatment.

3. bedbuganger

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 16:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Livingagain - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Do you check your mattress, headboard, baseboards, curtains, wall hangings, etc. regularly? Because it doesn't make sense that your last treatment was August, but you kept seeing them until November, yet they just went away. Normally I would say that no one could have them for 6 months with out noticing them. But I don't understand how they would have gone away in November if the last treatment was August.
    If, by chance, residuals killed them off then and this is a reintroduction you need to figure out where you got them. Do you know? Do you have attached neighbors or an issue at work? You need to figure out where the problem is?
    Yeah, you need to contact the landlord to figure out what's going on, and then get treatment.

I haven't checked anything in a while, because I was so sure they were completely gone. I think its also weird that I kept seeing them until November, though it was probably less than five in the time gap, though I shouldn't have been seeing them at all. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the neighbors. I'm definitely gonna wash and heat everything tomorrow, so make sure there aren't any bugs on any kind of cloth. I'll talk to the land lord about it soon as well, to see if I can schedule another treatment. Also, I find it weird that I see them in the bathroom more often than in the bedroom, could there be a reason for this?

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 17:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

If you do have attached neighbors, they have to be inspected and cleared by a professional, too.

You need to take this seriously and figure out where they are in your house. You can do it, but it will take effort from you, not just the person who sprays.

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 2 2017 17:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are seeing them in the bathroom they are most likely coming from a neighbor. Bed bugs travel through pipes and wires that connect the units. It especially gets worse when the neighbor starts using sprays or bombs. It makes the bugs scatter. Definately talk to your landlord and ask about getting the neighbors inspected.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111