Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Got a question for you experts out there

(7 posts)
  1. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 8:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so the bats are gone but, we are still seeing and being bitten by bat bugs. My landlord brought over "her" Pest control people to look around and they want to come back with bb dogs. Will these dogs be capable finding bat bugs? I have noticed that these bugs do not stay together like bb they are more scattered, so I hope the dogs will be capable of sniffing them out cause landlord only wants to treat areas where the dogs hit on. Which is dumb in this situation but, I will take what I can get.

Another question, Her pco says that bat bugs can not survive without bats that they will die off in about 2 months regardless of treating. Is there any truth to this? My pco states that they only need blood and, should be treated the same as a bed bug. Any opinions?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 8:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Batbugs are extremely rare int he UK so I don't see that many cases.

What may help however is to run a bedbug beacon in the area where the bats have been roosting to see if you can capture the bedbugs rather than have them ingress into the property looking for food.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 8:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. The bats have been gone for a couple weeks now. We found out about the bugs from getting bit while the bats were still here so, they are probably already all over our house.:( The problem is the landlord refused to hire a professional to eradicate the bats, and because professionals would have treated for the bugs at the same time, I am worried it going to have the same out come as bed bugs and take over my house or something. I really wish there was more non-contradicting info. on bat bugs!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 9:01:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Canines trained to find bed bugs will alert on bat bugs. Odors are very similar and the dogs haven't been taught to differentiate between the species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 9:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Great that's some good news. Now would you hppen to know if bat bugs can reproduce without bat hosts? All info I find is contradicting. I would like to think they cant and will just GO AWAY! (sigh)

6. Louise

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2012 10:11:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm very interested in the answer to that question as well. I found the contradicting information to be rather frustrating (albeit a source of some hope) when we had our bat bug experience three years ago.

Please do keep us posted on how things transpire for you...even if nothing further happens (and the bat bugs do indeed just "go away"/die off).

Louise

7. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2012 15:52:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Louise - 1 day ago  » 
    I'm very interested in the answer to that question as well. I found the contradicting information to be rather frustrating (albeit a source of some hope) when we had our bat bug experience three years ago.
    Please do keep us posted on how things transpire for you...even if nothing further happens (and the bat bugs do indeed just "go away"/die off).
    Louise

I am very interested to know how you handled your bat bug problem and how long it took you? I keep getting single bites, cant' find the culprits, and just want this nightmare to end. The poor bats were the least of my worries....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46