Got a new bite after 2nd treatment, feeling hopeless

(8 posts)
  1. hatemylifetoday

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Feb 13 2018 4:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading this forum for the past 3 weeks--since my issue was discovered. Long story, bear with me.

I'm a female living alone in a condo building i rent in downtown toronto. I have a really great deal on this condo building--its only 11 years old, when i moved in everything was in pristine condition, about 10x nicer than the shitty old walk up apartment I was previously living in for 8 years with NO issue like this. So I would be a fool to move. If i move I'll be paying hundreds more a month for a much crappier apartment bc the rental market here is absolute bonkers. Unless I move back to my crappy hometown, which I am seriously considering since this happened, even though I hate it there, there isn't this issue nearly as much there.

So about a month ago (a little less) my sister came over to hang out for a few days. She slept over in my bed, usually i make her sleep on the couch, but this time i was being nice (ohh regrets). anyway we were on the couch a lot that weekend too.

so she's there for maybe 3 days/nights and no issues. but the day she leaves (after helping me reorganize my closet and bringing me a decor item for my wall from her place) i wake up with 3 bites. she had mentioned that her boyfriends friends ended up with bedbugs and they were at their house for a new years eve party a few weeks earlier. she mentioned it with disgust, as in "be glad you didnt come to the party bc they had bedbugs" not in a -- be careful cuz i might have them way. she didn't think she had them at all. but neither of us has had them before and had no clue what it would look like/what to expect. and we're both extremely bug phobic, have been our entire lives (like we scream when we see the tiniest spider and my dad would have to kill it).

so im pretty sure i must have got them from her, she wasn't being vigilant washing everything after she found out that friend had it, because she figured she didn't have it and didn't really know better.

turns out a few friends at that party got it. they got it from a girl who came who only found out after the party that she had got it from her mom who had apparently been infested for months and hadn't been treating it.

so this girl gets it from her mom and doesn't know it, brings it to the party, infests the chair of the guy hosting the party, and infects others at the party. my sister and her boyfriend unknowingly being one of them. my sister brings it to me about 2-3 weeks later.

i have sensitive skin so reacted to the bites, apparently her and her boyfriend don't. though after i knew i had it my sister started to notice cast skins and one bite but they washed everything and have had an inspector come and he found nothing--but they're living in an office space (long story), not a proper apartment, so my theory is that his place is much less hospitable to their survival than my condo, which is why they rapidly became a problem here but not there. so her boyfriend thinks theyre fine and don't need to treat even though he keeps hanging out with two of his friends who definitely have it. this makes it all the worse as i can't even hang out with my sister anymore because she has it but its not being treated. because they shouldnt be living in an office space he's not willing to just ask his landlord to deal with the issue, and he doesn't want to pay for it when its so expensive when they havent found any actual bugs.

so the day i woke up with 3 tiny itchy red marks (one on my arm, one on stomach, one on shoulder) I didn't tell anyone and even though i instantly thought bbs because of what my sister had told me, I ignored it and stayed calm and assumed maybe i was having a reaction a new sensitive skin detergent i had just bought. i decided to just sleep in the bed again and not worry much about it. didn't think to inspect the bed mostly because bugs disgust me and i was too scared that i might actually find something and was still hoping it was anything but that so i just went on living (also I had blood red sheets i had just bought the month before, which i realize now doesn't help anything). the next day i didn't have a new bite but still saw white stuff that was odd. so that night i slept on top of my duvet with just a blanket. and when i woke up from this 3rd sleep there was the white stuff on top of the duvet and I SAW ONE on my pillow. i had a meltdown and called my building manager who told me its the unit owners responsibility so i called my property manager who got a company to come two days later. i tried sleeping on my couch at first but saw a tiny brown thing on my leg that i was pretty sure was one of them, and also remembered that my sister had been all over my couch as well for 3 days. Luckily i had a small camping air mattress with a little metal frame thing in my closet, so i was finally able to get a crappy sleep on that with just a white blanket (had to crank the heat up to 80 since its the dead of a frozen canadian winter and my condo has walls of windows). i know youre supposed to stay in the room in the bed but i would have never slept again. they came for the treatment and he found them--but oddly enough only dead ones (which still makes no sense to me--he asked me if i had previously been treated for them and i had not) and he found the egg casings in a spot on my mattress seam. he said it was a very minor case and that i shouldnt be worried. he asked if i wanted to keep the mattress and since it was 10 years old anyway i said no, knowing id never be able to sleep on it again even if they did spray it. so we took it downstairs to the trash area in the building--without A COVER. he said the building manager is supposed to supply it (but shouldnt a pest control company you're paying $500 be carrying a supply like that just in case???) and of course as usual i couldnt reach the building manager or the superintendent, so he said we should just take it down anyway. now im paranoid that theyre just all over the building and ill never be rid of them because he did that. but i wanted it out of my apartment since it seemed to be their home/the source.

he sprayed my wooden bed frame and my couch and two fabric chairs and the baseboards and my place stunk really bad for like a day after, so i felt like he did a good job. i found a variety of dead bugs after, which made me happy that they were dead. for the two weeks after treatment i continued to sleep in my living room/kitchen area on the air mattress on top of its metal frame thing with just the one white thin blanket around me, covered head to toe in clothes. i got no new bites.

i ordered a steamer, a bagged hepa vacuum, climbups, a new mental bed frame, a new mattress, continued to wash everything when i got home after going out (except my shoes), the whole exhausting routine. all my shit is still bagged and binned on top of my kitchen island and kitchen table.

the night before they came for the second treatment, my incredibly kind friend helped me get the new mattress at ikea, and put my new metal bed frame together. we went through the whole procedure when he came over (bagged his shoes, washed everything he wore into my place immediately, he showered and put on freshly washed clothes he brought in a sealed bag, and we only ever sat on my vinyl air mattress on top of its metal frame. i didn't open the vacuum sealed mattress until after the second treatment.

so a different guy came for the second treatment (the guy who owns the company) and my room was empty of any bed or clothing (bed frame was set up on its side in my living room, mattress still in its vacuum sealed bag rolled up) and he said there wasn't much for him to do/check since i got rid of the mattress and frame. But I still have an elliptical int he bedroom that i can barely move cause its really heavy, and my nightstand with a clock and humidifier and salt lamp and that sort of thing on it. and on the ledge by my windows i have my printer and my papers and office stuff. so he sprayed the baseboards real quick in the bedroom.

but then he wasn't even gonna bother anywhere else. even though i knew i had a bb on me when i was on the couch that one time. ( i got rid of the area rug i had near the couch during the first treatment as well). he looked at the couch and said it looked fine, so he didn't spray it. he looked at the chairs and said because they have an intricate pattern he can't tell for sure if they have anything, but that i should just vacuum them thoroughly (which i already obviously had been)-- but we never sit on those chairs anyway. he wasn't even going to spray the baseboards out there but i asked him to so he did. but not all of them. i have a giant tv/book stand that was filled with books and records and of course my tv, which was impossible for me to move forward from the wall myself. and when i asked about prep he said not to bother taking all the records out, that its probably not an issue. this was after i had taken all the books out and put them on my table. where they still are. so that area ddin't get sprayed but most did.

anyhow after he did his quick job i moved my new metal bed frame into my bedroom, put the climbups under the legs of the frame, got the mattress and put it on top of the frame and knifed open the vacuum seal. struggled to put the new encasement on the mattress without letting it touch the floor-- this took me about an hour and a lot of sweat and tears. got my new sheets and washed them just to be safe, put them on the bed with my new pillows in pillow encasements and my new duvet. thursday, friday, saturday night go by, no new bites, nothing in the traps, feeling like i might finally be able to feel sane again. but then sunday night im in bed just watching something on my laptop and i feel itchy, which is fine because its winter and i turned off my humidifier when this whole ordeal started because i read these bbs like humiditity so ive been enduring the dryness knowing it make me itchy. but this time it was different. i had the urge to scratch one spot and it turned into a little bump just like before. i freaked out. stripped my bed, couldnt find anything. put my duvet in the drier for 40 minutes, pillows in the drier, washed my sheets, put on a fresh pair of clothes, steamed the mattress, and around 5am finally went to sleep. bed is away from the wall but not by much, and away from the elliptical but not by much (small condo) and away from my night stand. ive been keeping my sheets from touching the floor (i bought a 16 inch bed frame to make sure im high off the ground). so i was pretty shocked and horrified that i ended up with a bump that looks like my other bites. esp when i was still up and awake and didn't see anything bite me or anything in the bed.

anyhow i go to sleep thinking ive done everything and theres no way they could be in the bed. i wake up and my pinkie finger (my hands and face were the only thing left exposed) has some kind of bite/reaction on it. but this one looks more like a mosquito bite this time, rather than the tiny little dot i got the night before, and 2 weeks previously.

so now im confused and horrified and just feeling like this is going to be some neverending nightmare that never truly goes away unless i abandon my entire life and move to the country. and i love the city.

during the 2 weeks of living on the uncomfortable air mattress i was in so much pain physically from not having a bed and not feeling safe enough to sit on the couch/chairs. i work from home so i didn't really go anywhere or see anyone--i can't risk infecting anyone. my friend coming over was sooo kind of him and im still terrified that he might have somehow brought it back to his place. ive felt sort of suicidal at various points. and i think i caught it fast and have been doing everything i can but then i come here and read stories of people treating it for a year and having no luck and then just abandoning everything they own and moving somewhere new and it just freaks me out. like i said i have an otherwise incredible apartment. all utilities included, dishwasher, ensuite laundry. stainless steel appliances for a very good price. moving would be so shitty.

i just cant believe i got new bites when im doing everything right. i feel like its never gonna go away and im going to have to isolate myself for the rest of my life and im already feeling insane from the total isolation. i worked so hard to build up my record collection and buy a nice turntable and tv and laptop and guitar and this elliptical over the years and now i feel like im gonna have to abandon everything. my place was beautifully decorated with all kinds of art and now i worry that theyre hiding behind the art and im gonna have to toss it all. i feel like i can never have my parents over again, and its not safe to go to their house because i might give it to them and they'd just let it become a huge problem because theyre on a really small income and couldnt afford all this shit that it take to deal with this.

basically i hate everything. and im feeling like im going to be dealing with this issue until my life is over. please give me some insight/hope. i am hopeless and at the end of my rope and i know my situation isnt nearly as bad as most.

2. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Feb 13 2018 11:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I can truly sympathize with your situation in so many ways. There IS hope, please don't give up, it seems like you caught this early and you're on the right track. Unfortunately treatment takes time, are you scheduled for a 3rd spray? I'd talk to whoever is paying for treatment about making sure the PCO is thoroghly treating. In my opinion he should've sprayed your new frame as well as all baseboards in your condo, including laundry area. Now I don't think you need to move, I moved during my first infestation mostly bc I had a newborn and I didn't want him exposed to anything but to give you hope, the family members who remained did eventually get the situation under control through self treatment. I'm fighting bugs now for a 2nd time (lucky me) and I've just had treatment number 2. You may still get bitten but that's good, it means the bug left it's refuge and *hopefully* crossed residual pesticide to get to you and will now be dying. Your couch needs treated again as well. I have a small issue as well (you can read my saga titled, PCO confirmed my fears now what?) My PCO hasn't seen anything aside from a dead nymph on my couch but he still treats thoroughly. As far as feeling hopeless, I get it, having BBs is hard emotionally. It's isolating and depressing but they are only bugs. You are doing everything you can and you will win! I can relate to a lot of your post, I haven't seen my mom since this all started and I won't see her until I'm clear for 60 days and she has her home inspected as well (I don't know how I got BBs). Your sister needs to remain vigilant, I wouldn't confidently say she was clear just yet. Also bite reactions can be delayed, mine usually show up after a shower. So try to keep that in mind. I truly understand how hard this can be, I've been through it twice and now I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. You have got this!!

3. hatemylifetoday

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Feb 14 2018 5:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, do you mean you are dealing with it twice because you just moved out of the old place and were fine for years, and then got it again recently? where do you live? or was it twice in a short period of time meaning maybe you brought it with you to the new place? when i hear of people having it twice i feel like its some neverending game and ill just be battling it the rest of my life with no peace ever again. no one should have to deal with this more than once. really no one should have to deal with this once at all. especially not alone.

the pco said we could schedule another treatment but i didnt like him and he did a shit job so im asking my landlord for another pco and this time a heat treatment. not sure yet if theyll do it. i feel like if i dont move when this is over im more at risk of getting it back. is there any stories of someone having it once and not moving and living for many many years in the same place and never having it again? i need to hear that.

4. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Feb 14 2018 11:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I was bed bug free for 4 years. I've read other stories on here of people not moving and being clear for years. You have to remember that a lot of people get bed bugs, they get treated and that's it. It's the people with difficult situations and prolonged infestations that post the horror stories. There are also people who post to the forum a few times and never come back to update on their success bc they probably just moved on with their lives. My best friend had bedbugs about 10 years ago, they had pesticide treatment, the end. She never moved and still lives there bedbug free. I hope your landlord gets you the treatment you need and honestly in my opinion you will be okay, you are doing everything right. I live in PA and unfortunately bedbugs are becoming more common in my area, I'm assuming I just randomly picked one up from the doctor, hospital, public transportation, take your pick lol. Kids get them from school. It does seem overwhelming but now that you're aware you can take precautions to not get them again. I was clear for 4 years and I guess I just thought it would never happen to me again, kind of like being struck by lightning twice. I agree no one should have to go through this, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's a crappy way to live. But like I said before, there is hope!

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Feb 14 2018 15:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

We had bugs in our previous apartment, had 2 chemical treatments, and were bed bug-free for 2 years. Then they came back. The landlord had never eliminated the problem, the bugs were just moving around from floor to floor, it turns out.

After repeated (failed) treatments, we moved out, leaving most of our possessions behind.

6. thirdusername

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 2:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Ottawa.
    I've lived in the same place for 8 years.
    I discovered bbs in Oct of last year.
    I've had 4 treatments and I think they might be gone.
    I consider my "PCO" to be "spray jockeys" for the landlord.
    I don't think they are very thorough but I take whatever the landlord pays for.
    Sleeping does get easier but I do a lot more work before getting in to bed and I use my computer desk a lot less than I used to.
    I expect those habits to be with me forever/for years.
    I don't go to movie theatres any more (probably overkill).
    Don't give up, there is hope.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. prosper23

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Feb 17 2018 21:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

what were the white stuff you found on the bed??

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 hours ago
    Mon Feb 19 2018 11:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry-- I was not able to read that closely. I'm not clear on how long after the treatment the new skin reaction happened, but bed bug bites are typically delayed reactions and can appear hours, days or even a week or more after you're bitten.

Also, some homes do take more than two treatments. Get an inspection and follow up treatments at two week intervals if needed.

It's not really a city/country issue but attached units can sometimes make things hard. Bed bugs in multi-unit buildings can be a persistent problem if the management does not find all infested units and treat them. They can keep coming. HOWEVER, I would not assume that's the situation. If the bed bugs are fewer after each treatment, it is working and you should persist.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,501 posts in 44,036 topics over 133 months by 19,282 of 19,911 members. Latest: trez1336, Aegis_, paulsinn