Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Good PCO/Inspector in LA?

(14 posts)
  1. SoCalMommy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 12:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I've been getting 2-3 bites about every 3 nights for the last two weeks. I co-sleep in a King bed with my husband, our 2 year old and our 10 week old, but I'm the only one who is getting bit or at least the only one having a reaction. We had a K9 inspection yesterday...the dog alerted to two places, my husband's night stand and our headboard, right above where I sleep. The handler attempted to find visual confirmation but our bedroom furniture is wicker and he said that even though he wasn't able to find anything he was pretty confident between the look of the bites, their pattern of every three days, and the dogs alerts that we had bed bugs. His boss called and offered different plans, including setting traps and waiting to get visual confirmation but said that if we wanted the problem gone ASAP heat treatment was the best option.

My husband is obviously not thrilled about parting with that kind of money without proof that we have bed bugs, but I can't bring myself to sleep in our bed with our precious babies...I know you are supposed to but my husband has been sleeping in our bed and me and the kids have moved to the guest room. Another concern is that we live in a high rise apartment complex, and if it is in fact bed bugs and our neighbors also have an infestation as well then we could spend all of this money only to end up back in the same place.

Can anyone recommend someone who could do a thorough visual inspection and help us determine if this is bed bugs?

Thanks!

2. lagirl31

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 13:48:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Wish I could help! Our LA PCO is decent about spraying and steaming, but does basically no inspection at all - 15 minutes tops for the whole apartment. I've been doing my own inspection and then just calling them in to spray.

It sounds like your PCO at least tried - I've read that wicker furniture is really, really difficult when it comes to bedbugs. Apparently there are so many nooks that a good visual inspection is almost impossible. I think if you do a site search for "wicker" here, you might turn up some good threads.

I'm not an expert, but I've read that while you don't normally need to throw away furniture, wicker might be the exception. I'm not saying that you need to throw your furniture away - I don't know enough to say that! Just that there might be a good reason why your PCO couldn't find bedbugs in your particular situation.

3. lagirl31

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 13:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I did a quick search - here's a thread on wicker furniture with some of the experts weighing in.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/wicker-furniture#post-37463

The consensus seems to be that it's incredibly hard to inspect and treat, even for really good PCOs.

I would talk to a PCO about the furniture situation BEFORE attempting to get rid of it, if you decide to do so. You definitely don't want to spread the bugs through your house or your building in the process.

4. SoCalMommy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 21:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Someone from Terminix came out and did a visual inspection and said he didn't see any evidence of bed bugs and that if we had them, we'd know, even with the wicker furniture. Then I told him that we'd had a K9 inspection that revealed two hot spots and he did a 180 and said that in his opinion, the dogs are usually pretty accurate and so it's possible that it's just a small infestation. He said he'd recommend encasements and monitors so we can see when it gets worse. Great.

The more I read and research, the more I don't know what to do! I appreciate reading everyone's stories and advice. Any thoughts on how we should proceed now? The company that did the K9 inspection said to make our own dry ice monitor and see if we catch anything. They also don't guarantee anything, not even for one day, so if we have bed bugs and we got them from a neighboring apartment or if we've already transported them to my mom's house as we visit there regularly, then they will just come back after the thermal treatment...I don't know where to put my babies to nap or if I should be bagging all of their clothes...this is so upsetting!

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 2 2011 11:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Since LA is very spread out geographically, I suspect that you and I are not in the same part of the county, based just on statistics alone. I'm going to send you a private message (PM) with info about the company that I used--my God, almost three years ago, has it really been that long?. I'm happy to post the company's name, but since they have multiple offices in different parts of the county (a county which is three times larger than all of Rhode Island, in terms of square mileage), I'd have to give you my city name to be useful, and I'm hesitant to post that in public, so I'll send it in private message.

That said, I'm not sure my review will be especially helpful. Chances are you'd be using another office, and I can't really speak to their inspection too much. I had an infestation that was likely at least 6 to 8 weeks along, and I caught plenty of samples myself. As a result, my only experience with inspection was post-treatment during a scare I had.

Still, in case it's helpful, I'll send it along in private message form.

6. SoCalMommy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 1:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone in the LA area that needs a PCO...Isotech Pest Control is awesome!

Robert and Zip (my favorite dog EVER) came out tonight and conclusively ruled out bed bugs!!! When I told Robert that another dog indicated we had bugs in two places, he had Zip go over those spots repeatedly, then did several hides to show us how Zip would react if we really had bed bugs. He also completely tore our room apart doing a visual inspection, then said that he would happily sleep in any room in our house as he was very confident we are bed bug free.

The difference between the first company and Isotech was night and day...now that I think about it, the handler at the first company didn't even bring a flashlight, he borrowed one from my husband and looked at our headboard for a few seconds before saying that he didn't think he'd be able to get visual confirmation because our furniture is made of wicker. Robert pointed out that our wicker furniture is BRIGHT WHITE and you should definitely be able to see some signs of bed bugs.

I am happy to report (on behalf of wives everywhere) that my husband was RIGHT. Glad we didn't spend $1800 on a heat treatment we didn't need. Still don't know what is biting me. Robert guessed fleas or mosquitos...haven't seen any fleas hopping but we live near the Marina and canals so mosquitos are definitely a possibility. Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me learn more than I ever wanted to know about bed bugs...between that and the tutorial Robert gave my husband in inspecting hotel rooms, I'm hoping we never get them!

7. SoCalMommy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 1:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone in the LA area that needs a PCO...Isotech Pest Control is awesome!

Robert and Zip (my favorite dog EVER) came out tonight and conclusively ruled out bed bugs!!! When I told Robert that another dog indicated we had bugs in two places, he had Zip go over those spots repeatedly, then did several hides to show us how Zip would react if we really had bed bugs. He also completely tore our room apart doing a visual inspection, then said that he would happily sleep in any room in our house as he was very confident we are bed bug free.

The difference between the first company and Isotech was night and day...now that I think about it, the handler at the first company didn't even bring a flashlight, he borrowed one from my husband and looked at our headboard for a few seconds before saying that he didn't think he'd be able to get visual confirmation because our furniture is made of wicker. Robert pointed out that our wicker furniture is BRIGHT WHITE and you should definitely be able to see some signs of bed bugs.

I am happy to report (on behalf of wives everywhere) that my husband was RIGHT. Glad we didn't spend $1800 on a heat treatment we didn't need. Still don't know what is biting me. Robert guessed fleas or mosquitos...haven't seen any fleas hopping but we live near the Marina and canals so mosquitos are definitely a possibility. Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me learn more than I ever wanted to know about bed bugs...between that and the tutorial Robert gave my husband in inspecting hotel rooms, I'm hoping we never get them!

8. krambear

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 1:41:00
    #

Login to Send PM

What's the price of Isotech inspection? I've already had two extermination treatment done, but have doubts about whether the buggards are really gone. I would gladly pay for the dog inspection service if only to confirm whether or not the bed bugs are really gone.

9. SoCalMommy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 1:51:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It's usually $300, but they gave me $50 off because I called yesterday and no one got back to me and I called in again this morning...I didn't even ask, they just volunteered to discount it! Definitely worth the money...ask for Robert and Zip!!!

10. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 11:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

SoCalMommy,

Thanks for posting that review. I often have a hard time getting people not familiar with California's geography to understand just how spread out the series of cities that makes up "Los Angeles" is.

I've heard good things about IsoTech before, so it's nice to get current feedback. (I didn't need a dog myself, as I had no problem finding the bugs in my tiny apartment.)

You may want to read up on carpet beetles too. Some people have an allergic response to the hairs that carpet beetle larvae shed. The adults and larvae don't bite, but that allergic response to those hairs will look exactly like a bug bite on many people.

And, for the record, it's also important to note that many people, post bed bug scares, discover that we live in homes that harbor a lot of insect and arachnid life we are generally unaware of. As a result, it's pretty normal post bed bug scare to find a lot of critters you didn't realize were in your home and be slightly more anxious about that than normal.

While I'm not a big fan of anything that makes people anxious and stressed, I do think that false alarms can be useful in the sense that it's always better to learn about bed bugs at a time when you can take steps to minimize the chances of exposure in the future when you're not also having to deal with the stress of treating them. Okay, I'll stop digging frantically for a silver lining now.

Congrats on the good news.

11. lagirl31

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 13:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

SoCalMommy - Thanks for the feedback! I might hire them to do an inspection once I think we're clear post treatment. My PCO is hired by my landlord and as I said, they use the right chemicals and do a good job trying to treat, but they just don't inspect at all. (They have treated our apartment three times and never even spotted a single bug! Luckily we have read all the tips here and so we do our own inspections and save the evidence for them).

I'm so glad you had a false alarm! And yes, WHITE wicker furniture does sound like it would be a little easier to inspect.

At least now you're aware of all the signs and you'll know to keep an eye out in the future.

For possible mosquitoes, I've found that having a fan aimed at the bed can be remarkably a effective (and non-toxic!) way of preventing them from biting. They have a hard time landing in drafts of air, apparently. I set up a box fan in our room during the summer and keep it pointed at our bed.

12. lagirl31

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 13:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry! Double posted on accident.

13. LAWoman

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 22:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

And here's another shout out for IsoTech. I don't work for them or have any affliation with them other than being a recent, very satisfied customer. Robert and Zip just did my K-9 inspection and confirmed that I do not have bed bugs after a rather shady PCO claimed I did and wanted $800 to bug bomb my house! Yeek.

They did everything SoCalMommy says they did for me as well, and were very professional and thorough. So there are now two very happy and satisfied customers on this board sticking up for IsoTech in the L.A. area. To echo what BuggyinSoCal says L.A. is really a sprawling set of what someone once described to me as a group of suburbs in search of a city, so even if you don't think IsoTech is in your area you should still call and ask or find out if they can recommend someone.

14. kcs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2012 18:10:33
    #

Login to Send PM

IsoTech!
    I finally gave up battling with my landlord and decided to pay for my own CPO and go with a company I could trust. I called IsoTech. They are my heroes. As soon as I talked to the people in the office I knew I was in better hands. They explained things fully. Miguel came out for an inspection and didn't find any signs of bed bugs at all. I told him I had K-9 inspector (Round the CLock) out a few weeks ago that gave a positive indication. The dog indicated that there were bed bugs in my bed but the handler did not do a physical search and never got actual proof (bed bugs or beg bug markings). To give me piece of mind Miguel suggested I have one of their dogs come out. He only charged my $200. Round the Clock charged $300. A few days later Robert and Zip came out to do an inspection. They were fantastic and incredibly thorough. Zip was all business and a sweet dog. Robert was patient and took the time to explain everything to me. He did his own physical inspection. Neither him or zip found any signs of beg bugs.
    I can not recommend IsoTech enough. It was night and day compared to the other CPO I had out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,511 posts in 45,805 topics over 139 months by 20,173 of 20,970 members. Latest: bloomington, Crisbug, provilink