Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

good BB PCOs in Ann Arbor?

(12 posts)
  1. aporia

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 20:56:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Any word on good bedbug PCO's in Ann Arbor? I'm currently working with Terminix but I'm not convinced they know what they're doing.

2. zlatik

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 21:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

When I lived in AA the PCO town plaza employed to treat a mild infestation of flour beetle failed miserably. I did a better job with bleaching the living sh*t out my room myself. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 23:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

One user on another thread recommended Orkin in Detroit. (Click the link that says Detroit PCOs above to see the thread.) Even though Ann Arbor is -- what, 43 miles from Detroit? -- PCOs often work within a region, so keep in mind some Detroit firms may work in your town.

Another way to go is to look for articles in the local media about bed bugs. Sometimes they quote or feature information from local firms which deal with bed bugs. This is not foolproof by any means, but it may give you some leads.

For example, this article cites Mark Sheperdigian, the Board Certified Entomologist with Rose Pest in Troy, MI. (Rose's website says they cover all of Michigan as well as several surrounding states.)

Sheperdigian knows his bed bugs. Of course, he's probably not coming to treat your home personally, but it's a good sign when a firm has leadership from bed bug experts such as this.

I have never used this firm, can't endorse them personally, but they do seem to have a good reputation.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 10:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO is Gold Seal out of Indianapolis, but they travel all over. They "seem" to know what they are doing. They have a heat treatment that is less than half what others quoted.

5. aporia

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 10:50:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice on Mark Sheperdigian. I will be calling Rose Pest for a consultation today.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 10:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo,

Gold Seal's name has come up before as well.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 10:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck, aporia, and let us know how it goes.

8. aporia

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 28 2011 15:21:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I met with the Rose Pest PCO this morning. He inspected my mattress and box spring and found a second cast skin and some fecal spots in a crevice created by a corner-protecting plastic fitting. He recommended that I eliminate clutter, dry and bag my clothes, put out the monitors I bought, and thoroughly spray the mattress/boxspring with isopropyl alcohol - then see if the problem persists. (I also brought up DE and he said we could dust behind switchplates and outlets with it, but otherwise not worth it.) He said that if we needed it, he could offer a pesticide treatment regimen of 3 treatments with no guarantee. But the infestation appears to be very low level at this point so he is hopeful that we can take care of the problem ourselves without expensive treatments.

This afternoon I was doing some more research and discovered that there are two common species of bed bug - cimex lectularius (common bed bug) and cimex adjunctus (Eastern bat bug). The bat bug has been reported to be common in Ohio (I'm in Michigan). A light went on in my head - we have had bat problems in our attic, and we recently were moving stuff up and down from the attic, which is right next to my room where the infestation appears to be currently concentrated. There are even some of my roommate's attic clothes still in my closet - clothes which he asked me to store there a couple weeks ago because we had to clear the attic for a city inspection!

I am now very eager to determine if I have a lectularius or adjunctus infestation. If it's lectularius, the landlords can claim we brought them in and deny liability - since we've been living here 3 years without a problem, the bugs could not have been here before we moved in. However if it's adjunctus, then the bats brought them in and I would think it's the management company's repsonsibility to pay for their removal from the house. I have to get a copy of our lease and check with a renters' rights group in Ann Arbor to be sure.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 0:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a PCO, but the only thing I would say is that I am not thrilled with the idea of spraying the mattress thoroughly with alcohol. It is a contact killer, but that's a lot of alcohol. It's flammable and has fumes. If you do this, make sure the bed is completely dry afterwards before you put sheets or encasements or anything on it.

And there does not seem to be a lot of point in spraying a contact killer in this matter on a fabric surface. If you don't spray a bed bug directly, you won't kill it.

Bat bugs are a definite possibility. I hate to recommend another costly inspection, but I would not try to diagnose or deal with bat bugs on your own. Not only do they need to treat for bat bugs if present, but they need to make sure there are no nests nearby to send more bed bugs.

Good luck with finding out your rights as a tenant and with swiftly getting this problem diagnosed and solved. Please let us know how it goes!

10. aporia

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 9:35:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Eradico PCO called by the landlord showed up for inspection today. I showed him my samples and he says they're probably bed bugs, based on his experience in Ann Arbor. It sounds like we'll probably go with them and get a chemical treatment. The Eradico guy really seemed to know his stuff - had several informative stories about recent bb research. For example, they've recently been shown to follow electromagnetism, which is another reason they like electrical sockets. Also, he says that in extensive comparisons of detergents, Tide detergents have been found to remove eggs and larvae from clothing.

(BTW my fiance took some great shots of the cast skins I found under a high powered microscope which you guys might like. I think they're 2nd and 5th stage instar roughly. You can see the spiroles, every little hair that fringes the legs and abdomen... pretty interesting, the little monsters are...)

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 10:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

aporia - 1 hour ago  » 
    Tide detergents have been found to remove eggs and larvae from clothing.

BB larvae are easy to remove because they do not exist. BBs do not have a larval stage like fleas or beetles. They hatch from the egg as a nymph which they molt 5 times to become an adult.Kinda doubt his study findings based on that.

Jim

12. aporia

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2011 12:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

He probably misspoke - he appeared to know his stuff. It would be nice to have an independent confirmation though.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,235 posts in 50,144 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago