Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Going to end up in the nut house!

(8 posts)
  1. buggednurse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 22:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Going to make this short, because this is about my obsession or fear or whatever wants to call it, but it is not normal! I don't know for a fact I have more than the two bed bugs that I killed--I brought them home from work.

So now, because I am not working in that place anymore, my hours have been cut, and I am in the poor house..can barely feed my farm animals. I feel like I am suffering greatly at the expense of someone else's infestation, financially..but more important mentally.

I have cleaned and laundered and vacuumed in all my spare time, that I have very little of, but have sacrificed my already very small amount of sleep to do so.

I have not found more bed bugs..or eggs or shells, that I know of, but everything turns into a look alike egg, shell or bug at my paranoid moments. I attempted to get pictures of a red ball of lint..that was until I picked it up with tweezers and realized there were fibers....

I know I have chigger bites right now..have experience with them, but I have a completely different kind of bite on my shoulder that isn't going away. It's harder..and the red that surrounds it is more. I am constantly feeling something crawling, or at least the sensation, sometimes I do have a tick that I picked up outside (they are bad this year) but mostly as I quickly undress to look there is nothing.

Tonight while sitting in my seemingly infested recliner..that I also sleep in, I felt a tickle on my wrist. Instinct was to brush at it..and I saw something out of the corner of my eye as it scampered away. I only know that I saw legs. Could have been a spider, or an ant..or anything but it was quick and had legs! I spent a good deal of time obsessing and looking for it..it was gone.

I have been waking up at 4 AM with an itch..chiggers yes..but the feeling of dread that there is something I am missing. So I search and look about my chair and house with tape and a flashlight. Settling in to sleep at 15 minute intervals til I have to get up and do chores and go to work.

I wrap myself up like a mummy when I do try to sleep..I keep the fan and air on high and aim it at me. I haven't been in my bedroom much for weeks. My marriage is suffering..I don't want to spread the bugs if I have them. I can't eat, my stomach is in knots!

I just want someone to tell me I have OCD and this can stop, that there are no bed bugs, or if I stop looking they will rear their ugly head in time for me to do something about a small infestation. I just can't live like this anymore!

BN

2. buggednurse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 22:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Not so short once it appeared on the page. I apologize

BN

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 16 2012 23:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BN,

Sorry you're going through that.

Did you have anyone ID those two bed bugs? Most people misidentify them, it seems, so I wanted to make sure.

And when did you find them?

If they were bed bugs, I think it would be prudent to implement a monitoring system. It does not have to be costly-- there are cheap options which can help you determine if you have bed bugs.

More importantly, my advice would be that once you implement such a system you make a rule for yourself, for example (if you used a passive monitor), "I will only visually inspect the passive monitor once a week."

Make a rule that you'll stop constantly searching. This may help with the obsessing.

It is summer and you will get some bug bites. (Watch out for those ticks!)

And you do want to make sure there are no bed bugs going forward. But it sounds like you need to put a lid on the obsessive checking. It doesn't help you solve the problem, it just sucks out your time and energy, and probably raises stress.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. buggednurse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 7:06:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! Two weeks ago I used the homemade dry ice monitor three times, the past week twice, and I have yet to put one out this week. They've turned up empty, but I haven't figured out how to isolate the recliner I sleep in yet, so perhaps my monitoring attempts are futile.

The two I brought home were for sure bedbugs. I was at the laundromat with my client family while they were washing/drying their infested clothing, and although I changed clothes, I transferred money from my dirty clothes to my clean jeans pocket. At home, I laid the money on the vanity in the br..and a couple of minutes later two adult, blood filled bed bugs came crawling out. I knocked them in the sink of hot water and they almost melted..reddish brown streaks. Gross I know.

I literally sat in the middle of them for months before I was aware, that thought alone makes me ill. They were not biting me there, but I did see them in the room I was in. I did not realize what they were and thought it was some mutated form of a cockroach.

BN

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 7:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The dry ice monitor is an active monitor. It may take time to catch bed bugs, and if you sleep in the same room, it's always going to be competing with a more powerful attractor-- you. This is because you're giving off CO2, heat and pheromones. The Dry ice monitor is only giving off CO2. So it can work but I would not expect it to work right away and if you do have a low-level problem, passive monitors may work better.

BBAlert passive can be placed on any bed or sofa in a particular location and should show signs if bed bugs are present, if they're used properly.

Pitfall monitors like ClimbUp Interceptors work quite differently but I would not recommend them since you're sleeping in a reclining chair.

You can see FAQs on bed bug monitors linked from the Useful Stuff page with pictures of the monitors and more explanation.

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 9:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

FWIW, I am glad to hear that you're not there anymore. It sounded like a huge risk to take with no added compensation for the risk you were taking.

I am hoping you did enough to not get them. Nobugs is right about the passives and checking.

7. batbugger

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 11:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

wow! I am also glad you got out of there. I did follow your first post but, must have missed the one with you getting out of that place. It is so amazing that you go out of your way to change clothes and those nasty things still found their way home with you. That really freaks me the heck out! It must have been a severely infested house. Believe me, I too think every little spec is a bbug. I never thought there would be a day where I would sort through the dust pan after sweeping as a way to monitor for bugs(found dead ones this way around dryer). Also I hate spiders but, now their my best friends!

8. buggednurse

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2012 0:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for the replies. The first night I left that house I slept like a baby, but now the search is on here and I don't sleep anymore. The house I was in was very bad.. I even saw bugs in the middle of the day in the kitchen. They were getting bitten just sitting on the carpet--all family members had bites that seemed like hundreds. I found nymphs on my socks as changing clothes, there was even a live nymph in the middle of the plastic chair I bought to sit on Vs the cloth computer chair. I saw their laundry, it was full of fecal stains. One pillow case was nearly covered in every place on the bottom except the center...that was just one, all the others plus their sheets had stains. They were behind picture frames,,in the furnace duct work (when it was still cold I turned the furnace on) and I couldn't figure out what that smell was...it was sickening, and I had never smelled it in my life.

I just don't know what to do about my chair, and hate to sleep somewhere else. I could try wrapping it in plastic sheeting and duct tape I suppose and perhaps put sticky tape on the chair feet that touch the floor? What do you think?

My adult children that live in our home..it's hopeless, if bugs make their way to their rooms. Ugh! I would rather trap them right here, but I know they could be all over my house and I might not know it.

Now I am doing a reverse process because if I do have them, I don't want to take them to a new work site.

If my last exposure was July 3rd? and lets say I only brought a couple home that I didn't kill. How long before I see signs? I am still very paranoid about everything, but I must say this forum helps my mental state..even with the horror stories..it does help.

BN

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams