Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Going crazy over bites... anything else I can do???

(10 posts)
  1. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 3 2014 15:59:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm new here and could definitely use some advice!!!

I moved into a recently renovated studio apartment at the end of August. For the past few months, I've been getting what I thought were mosquito bites every couple of days. I'm one of those people who mosquitoes just looooove, so I got a ton of bites outside through the end of summer. We had a freakishly warm fall and I remember seeing a few of the critters in my apartment in mid-October. So I just assumed that's what it was and that a few of them had set up shop for the winter somewhere inside.

As the weeks went on, I realized I wasn't seeing any more mosquitoes. Yet I've been getting bitten at night, only on the body parts that are above the blankets. (If I have the blankets pulled up to my chin, I get bites on my face. If I sleep on the covers, bites on my legs.) I had naively hoped that going away over Christmas would starve out whatever was biting me.

However, I got back Saturday and have received eight bites since then. One on each hand, three around my chin (though not at the same time), one on my back, one on my shoulder, and one on my neck. This is the most bites I've gotten in such a short time span.

(Originally, the bites responded like regular mosquito bites, but over time, I seemed to get a "tolerance" to them and they are now smaller, less swollen, and heal faster.)

My Google sleuthing keeps leading me back to "bed bugs." I have dark sheets, but a white mattress and a white bedframe with an IKEA slatted bed base. So I did checks. I stripped my bed, I pulled it away from the wall, I checked my nightstand and baseboards. I've been doing this at various times for the past two or three days. (When I get home from work, before going to bed, and when I first wake up.) Nothing. Nada.

Last night, I put my plants in bags in case mosquitoes laid eggs in the soil. (I had seen something that may have been larvae a few weeks ago, and that particular plant was given to me from someone who used just regular dirt from outside. And the pot was structured to gather water unseen in the bottom.) I also found two very dead mosquitoes behind the plants. I also hung a mosquito net. (And tucked it in so it doesn't touch the floor, just in case.) And I wrapped sticky tape around my bed legs.

I'm buying light-colored sheets after work and ordering interceptors and passive traps from Amazon. And if more bites appear, then I'll definitely contact my apartment manager Monday. But they've turned out to be a bit shifty so far, so I want to be sure I've done everything I can on my own.

Does this sound like bed bugs? Is there anything else I can do to figure it out, one way or another? My sanity depends on it!!!

2. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 8:49:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Didn't have any bites for about ten days after putting up the net and wrapping tape around my bed legs. Woke up this morning with two bites. One on my upper left cheekbone and one on my right arm near the elbow--pretty far apart.

Still haven't seen any signs of bed bugs or mosquitoes.
    The only thing I've done differently yesterday is that I opened my bathroom window for a bit to let the steam out. But it's been FREEZING outside, so I doubt anything would have been even alive to come in, right?

Any advice? Suggestions? Help? Would bed bugs go ten days without feeding when it's warm and there's a food source? Could I have just one or two male bugs? Sorry my original post was long.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 9:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It does not sound like its because because of the cessation when the window is closed.

I would read the FAQ's if you have not already done so so that you focus less on bites and more on confirming signs such as live samples, cast skins and faecal traces.

You can also see the best ways to use detection devices in the useful tools section. I am not a huge fan of isolation with tape of devices as I have seen this method cause issues in the past in terms of dispersal of bedbugs but other options are also discussed.

There are not many mosquito species that lay eggs outside of water so the plants are most likley OK without being bagged.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 9:48:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read the FAQs obsessively. I haven't seen any skins, fecal stains, or anything. But if I had female bed bugs or an infestation since October-ish, I probably would have seen an uptick in bites. So is it possible/likely that maybe I have one or two male bugs? Then I probably wouldn't be seeing the skins or stains, since there aren't many bugs to produce them?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 9:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes its possible to have only adult males and therefore to not find cast skins but you have to look at possibility versus probability.

I would strongly advise that you look at the Passive Monitors as an option as even low level infestations will rapidly relocate into them and leave tell-tale faecal traces on the detection skirt. There is further information int he useful tools section or if you search the forum.

Hope that helps.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

6. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 12:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I did order some passive monitors. They just haven't arrived yet.

One thing I've wondered: I only ever get bit on skin above the blankets. Is that unusual for bed bugs? I'll wear shorts to bed, but my legs haven't been bit. Only face/arms/shoulders/neck/hands.

Part of me does still wonder if I have mosquitoes somewhere. Since I did find the dead ones. (My plant pots were structured to gather water in the bottom and had a small opening. Also, moisture seems to gather around my windows.)

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 12:30:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Most insects will preferentially bite exposed skin because its what they sense first and foremost. The skin that is covered by blankets or clothes is always going to be less visible on the infra-red spectrum which is what they use to hone in on a target.

As such bites on exposed skin could be:

• Mosquitoes
    • Gnats
    • Midges
    • Bedbugs
    • or a host of environmental triggers

Hope that helps.

David

8. SeriouslySleepDeprived

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 10 2014 16:36:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry your going through this, It would drive me mad not knowing what was biting me. I hope you figure out what is getting you soon.

9. LosingSleep

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 11 2014 3:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I can completely relate. Bites all over and taking prescribed antibiotics and antihistamine; antibiotics due to apparent allergy to bites and possible infection. Dr couldn't tell what did it and two PCO said there was no evidence of anything, including bed bugs. I know it's something. My gut told me mosquitoes or bird mites. It's winter in Vegas and I was hoping as cold as it gets, the problem would cease. It hasn't. There are many pigeons right outside my apartment. I've noticed having my heater on increases the bites but I'm not seeing anything. I looked in my boxspring, lining of bedding, mattress, carpets, etc. white sheets. Nothing. I'm feeling very violated. Help!

10. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 15:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, SeriouslySleepDeprived!

LosingSleep, I hope you figure out your bite issues too!

Friday, when those two bites showed up, the one on my face was just a big reddish-purple splotch. But the one on my arm actually developed a bulls eye pattern. (I also felt awful on Friday, but I blamed it on stress.) They weren't like the bites I'd been getting previously.
    It's so frustrating, because the arm bite seemed very typical of a spider bite. However, I know that the previous months of bites just couldn't all have been spider bites. It seems very unlikely that I'd be bitten weekly by some unknown bug--and then after a ten day reprieve, be bitten by some other bug.

I know skin reactions are terrible indicators, but is it unusual for a bed bug bite to present like a bulls eye spider bite?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,482 posts in 49,272 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk