Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Going Crazy!!! Is it bed bugs or something else??

(9 posts)
  1. MommaMiles1981

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 8:16:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Everyone,

I am not new to this website. I have been obsessed with bedbugs ever since they made a resurgence. It should also be noted that I suffer from OCD. It seems every time I travel, I come home and convince myself that we have brought home bedbugs. This is my worst fear.

We traveled to the Outer Banks back in July/August. We stayed at several different hotels. Before we stayed at each hotel, I checked it out on the Bed Bug Registry. None of the hotels we stayed at had any reports of bedbugs. Upon arriving at each hotel, I checked the mattresses for bugs and or fecal stains. None of the hotels had any visual signs of bedbugs. Additionally, I kept all my luggage off the floor and never placed it on the bed. I kept a sealed trashbag for dirty clothes and beach towels. Once home from vacation (spending the night at my mom's house), everything including my duffel bag and daughters' backpacks were washed and dried on high heat.

Now, the reason I am honestly freaking out is because since our trip, I've noticed spots on my daughters. I know the mosquitoes have been horrible this summer. Even though it almost November, I have still seen them in the yard and they swarm us when we try to go in the house.I have seen mosquitoes land on and bite my daughters.

I started checking my mattress about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Each time, I have not found any signs of bedbugs. I also called a bed bug sniffing dog to come to the house, but the trainer cancelled because we have "too many" pets.

I have checked my mattress and box springs on 4 or 5 different occasions over these weeks and have found nothing.
    No eggs, no bugs, no shed skins. I found what I thought was fecal stains on my mattress and ordered Bed Bug Blue. It arrived on Wednesday. I tested all the suspected spots and they all came back negative. I should've felt relief, but I didn't. I have also checked my dresser drawers and nightstand and found no signs of bugs. I've checked my daughters' bunk beds and mattresses and other than dust and dirt, found nothing No spots on the piping or anything. I also ripped the cloth off from underneath the sofa and searched for bugs or signs of bugs and found nothing. I've checked the sofa twice.

Despite all negative evidence, my daughters continue to get spots. Now let me describe them. It should be noted that my daughters wear long sleeve/long pant pajamas to bed. On my eldest daughter, they look like mosquito bites. They are typically only on her arm. On my youngest daughter, they are only on her neck and chest. It should be noted it looks like a pimply rash and the doctor did diagnose it as folliculitis. It's typically in the folds of her skin. The rash comes and goes every few days. It seems to get better if I wash her neck with Dial soap and put cream on it.

Here is the most recent history of the spots:
    10/19 4 year old has rash on neck and back of neck, also a little bit on back
    10/23 4 year old has one big pimple/blister like spot on neck
    10/24 4 year old has pimply rash on neck
    10/24 6 year old has 2 bumps on back of left arm, one bump where bottom of pajama leg touches front of ankle
    10/29 4 year old has pimply rash on neck, one pimple-like spot on chest
    10/29 has one dark red bump on upper arm, one rashy spot on inner arm (she was rolling around in the tall grass so maybe she got bit in the grass?

I've read mosquitoes can bite through clothes, so that makes me feel a tiny bit better.

Again, I have checked our beds and surrounding furniture religiously and found no signs of bugs. I did find one spot of blood (maybe) on my dust ruffle, but I did find a small cut on my hand . I think I scratched myself while putting it back on the bed and bled on it. It came out with bleach.

I am completely and totally obsessed. Despite having no evidence other than spots, I am convinced we have them. I can't eat or sleep. In the morning, I get up and check my kids for spots. At night, when they are bathing, I check their skin for new spots. Sometimes, I get up in the middle of the night to see if I find anything crawling on them. I am going completely crazy. I am sick with worry.

Please give me some advice and help me stop the insanity!!!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 8:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions can't be used to diagnose bedbugs. If bedbugs are feeding, there will be fecal staining somewhere.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 9:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You're free to be as OCD as you want, but please stop freaking your kids out with body inspections. Get a few passive monitors.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 10:08:31
    #

Login to Send PM

mommy:

It should also be noted that I suffer from OCD. It seems every time I travel, I come home and convince myself that we have brought home bedbugs. This is my worst fear.

Given your travel precautions and in-home inspections, it sounds very unlikely you have bed bugs.

I would cut down the inspections, install a couple of passive monitors, and try and move on with a normal life. A professional inspection is another option, if you think that would put you more at ease.

Richard

5. MommaMiles1981

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 10:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

As I mentioned before, I haven't found any actual fecal spots. I also checked my furniture for fecal spots, the mattress, box springs, wall....everywhere. I also checked the underside of the sofa. The spots on my mattress that I thought looked suspicious were tested with BedBug Blue and they were negative.

If there are no other signs of bedbugs, I should believe that I am clear. I don't know why I can't let go of the idea that we have them. It probably has something to do with my OCD.

6. MommaMiles1981

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 12:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I've decided to order a passive monitor for my bed. We have a mattress and 2 box springs. Where is the best place for me to put the monitor? We have a metal bed frame and metal head and foot board.

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 12:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It would go at the head of the bed, between the mattress and box frame.

8. MommaMiles1981

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 13:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you mean on the outside of the mattress/box frame or sandwiched in between the mattress and box frame?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 30 2015 18:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

MommaMiles1981 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Do you mean on the outside of the mattress/box frame or sandwiched in between the mattress and box frame?

Click this link to download passive installation instructions:
    http://bedbugger.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/packtite-passive-instructions1.pdf

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox