Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Glue Mouse Boards, Fly Paper & BB Pheremones

(13 posts)
  1. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 20:15:16
    #

Login to Send PM

In talking with a professional architect whom is also a professional engineer, he recommended attaching glue mouse boards to all my bed legs in a way that bed bugs have to try to cross that in order to get a blood meal while I'm sleeping. I wonder if anyone's tried this? I did a search and didn't see that come up on the site in terms of results, aside from a caution that the bed bug could get one leg free and still live. It also seems that when a bed bug comes across danger, they leave an alert scented trail to discourage their pals from going there.

Anybody know how to overcome those 2 potential problems? I could imagine that spraying the bed leg with Steri-Fab or 91% rubbing alcohol below where the glue board is attached would remove the scent close enough yet far enough from where the glue board is in order to remove the danger alert...?

I've also read that fly paper worked for people, on another site. Any successes with that? Failures with that?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 7:53:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You have a lot of professional friends in other fields, they have bad ideas.

Morbid curiosity; would you take some photos of your room? I'd like to see the level of insanity instead of just imagining it.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 9:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

This clip should explain why glue based solutions are not very effective when it comes to bedbugs:

http://youtu.be/LIDnn34xMNg

The record is still held by the glue between two sheets of plastic device that failed to capture any of the 250+ bedbugs left within 2 inches of it in an open arena for 3 months.

I appreciate that your engineer may be a fine engineer but when dealing with biological systems the normal logic and process flows of physics and maths may at times cause you to assume something will work one way while it actually behave in it's own and different way.

Good biology is all about observation and repetition and study in the field not in a lab or artificial arena.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 9:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

outsmartbb,
    It seems that you are trying to reinvent a wheel by asking all your experts who have no expertise in bed bug biology and natural history to provide you with ways to deter them from gaining access to you. As was pointed out above, maybe a view of your room would help us.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. No More Bites

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 21:54:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I know for a fact that bedbugs WILL get stuck on tape. I put some packing tape on my bed. It took a few days but a few bedbugs found their way onto the tape. So YES, they will get stuck to the tape by walking onto it.

6. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 1:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all, for the input, and I'm glad to hear it worked for you, No More Bites.

As to what my apartment looks like - fairly generic: couch, 2 night stands, a bureau, a bed, 5 outfits, 5 towels, one computer bag, one duffle bag, vacuum cleaner, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, stove, plastic shipping tape on the ceiling perimeter, bed leg interceptors, preventive dessicant dust puffed on floors. There is zero clutter, and nothing hanging on any walls.

7. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 1:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs and David - that is precisely why I'm posing these questions on this site. As an entomologist, loubugs, do you know how to remove the bed bug pheromones from an environment?

If an architect or engineer could more accurately answer those questions, I wouldn't pose them here.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 5:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes at times bedbugs will get stuck on tape if they fall into it but as you can see from the video once they sense a foot is stuck they often stop and work free. As such no bedbugs on tape does not mean no bedbugs in the location.

This is why glue based devices are not considered effective by those with experience.

David

9. No More Bites

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 9:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The bed bugs did not fall onto the tape. That would be an impossibility since the sticky side is facing down. They would have to defy gravity and fall up.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 12:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NMB,

I am sorry that you have decided to assume I was making direct reference to your situation, which I could not due to the fact I am not that familiar with it.

I was clarifying that bedbugs have been know to get caught on tape that the fall onto more frequently than ending up in the middle of tape by struggling to walk there like a person walking through glue.

As you can see from the video the response to glue is to stop and get free rather than to continue to walk over it. You see a similar thing with mice and glue boards, if they are moving slowly they have a chance to work free, if they are at speed too much may be on the board to get free. In the case of bedbugs, unless you are launching them across the room in some fashion they can't go too fast as to not realize they are in a "sticky" situation.

Feel free to express your rational if I have missed something.

David

11. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 12:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

In any case, adhesive products accrue a coating of dust & fibres, quickly rendering them even more ineffective.

12. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 0:05:51
    #

Login to Send PM

No More Bites - so you put the sticky paper upside down, like on a ceiling, or on the underside of furniture...?

13. No More Bites

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 12:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a waterbed. So what I did was tape the liner to the bed frame. This left some gaps between the tape and the liner. A few bugs, not only bed bugs, have gotten stuck . I also put some tape on the headboard, half the tape stuck to the headboard the other half stuck to nothing, sticky side facing down. Got a couple of bed bugs and of course other bugs got stuck. As they crawl up the headboard they come upon the tape, then they have to walk upside down to continue.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982