Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Ghost bugs! Anyone ever had a confirmed case without ever seeing a bug?

(11 posts)
  1. jenji

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 18:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who has/had a less severe case of bed bugs and as a result, had a hard time finding out if they even had bed bugs in the first place. It seems that a lot of cases on these forums are more apparent cases - i.e. people waking up with bites every morning, or seeing bed bugs just chillin' on mattresses. I had a confirmed case of bed bugs in January 2017 and never even saw a bug with my own eyes.

Less than a year ago, it was like I had a case of "ghost bugs." I was waking up with bites every so often - sometimes with weeks in between - and sometimes I only got 1-3 bites when I did get them. But I knew they were not mosquito bites because I reacted very, very severely to these bed bug bites, much worse than I did with mosquito bites. I had the hardest time finding ANY signs of them - fecal stains, cast skins, etc. - and this was over the course of months. Seriously.

I think my landlords and the PCO thought I was crazy because my case wasn't checking out with the typical bed bug signs. The PCO thoroughly investigated my room and was not finding any signs or bugs. I think he was about to give up when he actually found 2 or 3 bed bug cast skins under my box spring. He was shocked and said he'd never seen such a "mysterious" case. He treated my room once, thinking that would get rid of it since it seemed to be so mild.

Now it's 6 months since my treatment and I got a bite that is VERY similar to the bed bug bites I used to get - but once again, I'm not seeing any signs (except for a weird thing in my bed that I am going to have checked out to see if it's an egg, because it kind of looks like it could be). If I have to deal with bed bugs again, I am just stumped because once again, I'm not finding any easy evidence right before my eyes, and this might turn into a crazy bug hunt all over again. Plus, if I encased my mattress and boxspring, where the heck are these bugs hiding?

Anyway, anyone else have experience with less extreme, but more mysterious, bed bug cases?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 18:09:26
    #

Login to Send PM

My first infestation, I saw the first bed bug after a chemical treatment. It was dead. Then a few weeks and a 2nd treatment later I caught an unfed nymph in the Bed Bug Beacon. I had not seen any of the classical signs either, but was being bitten and neighbours were infested.

The second infestation was different, I found 2 bed bugs before the treatment.

3. jenji

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 18:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 4 minutes ago  » 
    My first infestation, I saw the first bed bug after a chemical treatment. It was dead. Then a few weeks and a 2nd treatment later I caught an unfed nymph in the Bed Bug Beacon. I had not seen any of the classical signs either, but was being bitten and neighbours were infested.
    The second infestation was different, I found 2 bed bugs before the treatment.

bugged-cdn, thanks for your reply! Good to know it's not just me. Just curious - how much time between your infestations? Do you think they were related to each other (i.e. first treatment wasn't successful), or were they separate instances? Thanks!

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 18:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Two years. Related in that the landlord never got a handle on things (high rise apt bldg). After the first instance, we knew that they were still around on some floors. They eventually found us again. We moved out.

5. jenji

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 19:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

That's interesting. I'm starting to wonder if the possible return of my issue is linked to my building, too. I live in an urban 3-flat apartment on the second floor, so we have neighbors above and below us. The building is very old, too. Currently talking with my landlords to see if they can hear me out!

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 20:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it could definitely be one your neighbors. The bugs could have set up shop in the baseboards or some other unseen area. They love to to that.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  7. MadPaiHum

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 4:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I found one singular bug, I'm assuming this bedbug was a a hitchhiker I picked up from while I work. It bit me quite a few times (I roll around in my sleep because I have a very old and uncomfortable mattress) I found the bug very quickly, because I react in large red welts when I'm bitten by a bedbug (I had a small infestation two years ago) I check EVEYWHERE and immediately bought mattress and pillow covers and sprayed everything in my room with alcohol. ever since I killed it the bites stopped. Lately I've been getting very small red bumps on my fingers and arms (Much smaller than my bedbug bites usually are, even on my fingers), they itch but not too badly. It's been a month since I found and killed the bug. Are these old bites or new bugs?

8. oopsies

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 9:13:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm having a similar experience. Mysterious bites mostly on my ankles. 3 bites on my waist, a couple on my leg/thigh. But then it stopped for 3 nights. And now it's "back to work" - whatever it is that's biting me. But I cannot find any signs - nothing.

Where were you getting your bites? I sleep in my underwear so there's lots of yummy places for them to bite me - except it's all localised to a few areas. =/

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 9:21:35
    #

Login to Send PM

All of your skin irritations are occurring in places that are normally covered by a sheet when you are sleeping?

10. oopsies

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 9:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 minutes ago  » 
    All of your skin irritations are occurring in places that are normally covered by a sheet when you are sleeping?

Yes, but I don't wrap the sheet around me tight. It just sort of lies on top of me though I do toss and turn and more or less wake up in a starfish formation. I assume they crawl under the sheets, right?

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 10:26:47
    #

Login to Send PM

They would be passing up an easier meal on the arms and upper torso.
    Oopsies, start a new thread and we'll move this conversation over there, we're hijacking the current thread at the moment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago