Gave in and threw out old infested bed

(4 posts)
  1. Freaking Out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 8 2009 16:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I finally think I found the "source" of all my bed bug problems. Not surprisingly, it was the bed.

I have been at war with these bugs since November and was consistently finding them in the seams of my sheets. Due to this, I had adopted a nightly "check the sheets" routine. I have spoken about my frustration over trying to unsuccessfully locate these pests on numerous occassions.

I had thoroughly cleaned the room multiple times, pulled furniture away from walls, examined baseboards, caulked up holes and cracks, and have taken mattresses off the frame on more than one occasion and would never find a nest. I even caulked up the seams of the wooden frame (as hideous as that looked being the bed was dark wood and the caulk was white) all to no avail because they would just keep resurfacing.

I finally decided it was time to get a new bed. My old bed was more than 10 years old and was looking the part.

Anyway I started taking the old bed apart and began to spray with Bedlam all the parts before transporting anything out through the apartment to the garbage. On the leg area of the bed (by the headboard) there was a tiny knot in the wood. Well in this little crescent-shaped crack I found a live bug, which ran out from the spray, a dead one and an egg. The circular crack looked like it got larger as it went down into the wood and I don't know if there was anything else down there, but I sprayed the heck out of it, then covered it with duct tape just in case anything were to hatch. I think had I not gotten rid of the bed, my bed bug problem would of never had gone away because this crack in the wood was only visible to me after dismantling the bed and doing a close inspection.

I have carefully wiped up the area around the bed and have sterilized all bedding (including pillows and nightwear) prior to placement on the new bed. I have also wiped down and sprayed the other walls in the room, plus I have adopted a two-day spray regimen.

I am now keeping my fingers crossed.

2. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2009 10:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to get the encasements for your new mattress and boxspring. Well, done too for finding such a hidden nest!

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 9 2009 12:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Good job!

4. Freaking Out

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Mar 12 2009 10:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought the vinyl encasements first, but they are not very durable, they tear. I can't tell you how much duct tape I had used.

Now I bought fabric ones made specific for bed bugs. They have a hook by the zipper to prevent the zipper from unlocking. That was another issue I had with the vinyl ones. I was always afraid it was going to open when I changed the sheets. I was using duct tape on that area too.

Have not seen any since the new bed. I still check the bed very often, and I probably will never stop doing that.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45