Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Futon mattress?

(8 posts)
  1. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed May 21 2008 21:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

i was going to order a new futon form amazon, and then I read the desription ahead. Recycle raw materials..

the manufacturing process is much more environmentally friendly and helps to recylce raw materials used in other parts of the futon manufacturing process.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cotton-Fibre-Foam-Futon-Ultra/dp/B000AN5E9O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&m=A3GJ5CA1EWJ5BV&s=generic&qid=1211419768&sr=1-6

I just don't know what to do. I have a cat, so i can't get an air mattress.

This special, blended foam was invented in Europe and it takes a special multi-million dollar machine, imported from 4 different European countries to blend natural cotton and polyester together. So in addition to this foam being more resilient and longer lasting than traditional urethane foams found in most other futons, the manufacturing process is much more environmentally friendly and helps to recylce raw materials used in other parts of the futon manufacturing process.

2. TomIsBugged

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed May 21 2008 22:55:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

This might just be me being paranoid, but I'd be more comfy if I could visually check a mattress out before I bought it. I don't think this futon's "recycled" material is the same as "used/reconditioned" though - it seems (to me at least) to instead mean "made from (new) scrap material".

3. Battle of the Bugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 0:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

What's this, Pray? European invented and manufactured! What about your big push for American made products? I am of course referring to your post:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/stop-buying-things-made-in-other-countries-buy-american

And I am teasing. Sorry couldn't resist. Okay, now, serious. I am a big supporter of eco-friendly products and commend you for being eco-minded (certainly gets harder once you have bedbugs). If you are a afraid of unknown materials inside, why don't you buy and encasement for it? For that matter, why don't you encase what you current have? I've done it on my futon; it takes a regular queen size mattress cover. There are 9" available, try to get those if possible, I've posted about covers here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/mattress-covers

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ... Oh yeah Sherlock? But you've never had bed bugs!
  4. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 1:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya know what, The couch that I threw away was a futon. It doesn't matter whether it was made in the U.S or elsewhere, it is a place where bugs can hide. If you don't believe me then look at my pix on flickr. I'm sure Nobugs has a link some where. If we are so petty that we have to start bitching about what country that stuff is made in, then this forum is bigus... right?: Then who helped me out when I needed it the most? Oh, that's right, the Bedbuggers did.

5. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 6:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I know, I said Buy American:)
    I wasn't going to buy this, I was just looking and Questioning the recycled materials staement. Is this how they get by with reconditioned stuff....

Ant way,
    After seeing that AAron Rents video, I could not sleep.
    Now the pcomy matterass, I think. It smells like it. I encasted it after the pco.

WHAT< I AM wondering, since the pco does not always kill them.
    Are ther bugs in these mattresses we encaste, breeding up a colony and living in the mattress that is encasted. I know the baby's will not live after 3 months without a blood meal, but if there are adults they can keep breeding and live for 18 months and i am sleeping on an encasted colony. Is this true. I am so grossed out. The pco glanced at the mattress.

I wish, I was getting the hell out of NEW york because I see possibilities for them EVERY where. and i am affraid, we can only maintain there exsitance in our homes, not get rid of because every person or product we bring in will be a possible infestation and neighbors and on and on. Wait till all those baby stroolers get in questioned. These wealthy mothers will freak....

Lok at how much garbage we are adding to the landfill, we don't want to buy more and all the water for the 2 showers a day and washing clothes after each time we wear them.

I am going to give it a shot starting over because i have to, But, I have little left and really do not know how the world is going to get throught this. Many like me will just go crazy....

6. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 8:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Pray,
    The bugs encased cannot breed.They need a blood meal to do the breeding thing,which if they're encased they cannot get.

7. prayforamiracle

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 21:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Fantastic to know.... Thanks....

8. Bites44

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 22:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to throw a few bugs into the system here, let me tell you that in my city you can buy a mattress and if you don't like it you can take it back and exchange for a different kind. Well now, it appears that one mattress company resold such a "used" mattress and it had bed bugs in it. Now what?

Further, I bought a new box spring and metal frame last fall. Now how do I know that the moving van didn't have bugs in it? I covered that box spring right away with a good bug proof cover, that's what I did.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1