Futon bugs?

(5 posts)
  1. Adeh143

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2011 18:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help! Two months ago, I moved into an apartment. Not wanting to buy a bed for only two months before I move back into my dorm, I got a used futon for free off of Craigslist. Everything was going well until I started getting bites a few weeks after I moved here. What threw me off was that I had spent a night outside and had gotten some mosquito bites. I am allergic, and these swell up and itch like crazy. But then I started getting more bites. I assumed they were more mosquito bites, only they werent swelling up like they usually do. Also, I started a job where I wore long pants and socks, but these bites are on my feet and I seem to wake up with more each day. My problem is I think I have bed bugs, but I havent found anything yet. The futon is black, but I put a white sheet on it so you'd think I would have found some traces by now. I have checked the futon and other furniture and I now vacuum daily and wash my sheets all the time. Still, the bites are getting worse, and I now have around 30 on my feet and lower legs and I constantly wake up in the middle of the night because they are so itchy. The bites are usually either clumped or in a row and they are driving me insane. I really like the futon so I was planning on taking it with me to my dorm, but now I am not too sure because I dont want to spread the bed bugs and have to deal with them for another year if my futon is infested. On the other hand, I would hate to go on a spree and throw away linens, pillows, and a perfectly good futon for nothing. I guess I am asking if you think I have bed bugs, even though I havent found any yet and what I should do. Thanks!

2. Adeh143

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2011 18:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, since I have very little self control and these bites itch like crazy, I have been scratching them endlessly and would like to stop. Does anyone know of any cream, remedy that works well for bed bug bites?

3. Koebner

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2011 7:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to throw away linens but you do need to act fast & if you do have an infestation, you need to resolve the problem before you move. You need to be calm & methodical.

Please read the FAQs for advice on how to recognise BBs, how to properly inspect for them, & what steps to take if you do find evidence of BBs.

4. buggedout16

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2011 8:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If the bites are all/mostly on your feet and legs, fleas are also a possibility. They are hard to see, and are a possibility even if you don't have furry pets. I have heard the plug-in flea traps are a relatively inexpensive and pretty effective way to see if that is what you have going on, though I've never tried them myself.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 23 2011 10:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Adeh: Please bear in mind that whatever is "bugging" you may not necessarily be on your futon mattress itself, but can be elsewhere in your environment, be it the frame, elsewhere in your home, places you frequent (car, work, friends), or it can be as simple as your reacting to detergent residue in your socks. Your futon mattress should be fairly easy to inspect for insects or their tell-tale marks. If the futon does not have holes, any insects affecting you are likely to be outside rather than inside it.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE