Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Furniture questions for engineers & wood care types

(4 posts)
  1. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 11:00:07
    #

Login to Send PM

- want to isolate a metal queen frame which has a 5th leg in the middle, which is attached to a strut in the middle which is parallel to the head & foot of the bed. Is it important to support the leg w/a 5th bed riser rather than let it hang? If this leg is important to keep the frame from twisting, I'd want to put support under it. My box spring already has a wooden slat underneath that is somewhat broken. I taped it up & want to prevent further damage to it & the other wood slats which could end up poking through the expensive new encasement. My gut feeling is that the 4 sides of the frame & the 4 corner legs would support the box spring and keep it from twisting, and I wonder if the center leg adds much stability. But why would it be there if extraneous??

- another bed is a nice old, possibly antique wooden spool bed. I'm planning to put the legs into stainless steel cups with mineral oil. Will the oil damage the wood?

2. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 14:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't say about your bed. But I have a queen metal bed frame with only 4 legs. I don't have the 5th leg and I get by just fine without that extra support. Of course, only one smallish woman plus one tiny cat in the bed so not a ton of extra weight at night.

I think wooden beds are, in general, more risky as they offer more cracks and crevices in which the bugs may hide. You might be better off sticking with metal until all this is over. I am no woodworker but I would think that long-term submersion in oil might affect the wood. If you do it, maybe you can put the leg of the bed in a plastic cup, then sit the cup in the bowl of oil. Same oil-moat effect but none touches the actual wood.

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 15:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bath & beyond sells small metal curved round bowls with a somewhat slick surface, I have all bed legs in bowls filled with DE.
    Very inexpensive they sell them by packs of I think four.

4. pleasehelp

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 20:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks itchy & LtDan... I'll go with the 4 legs on the queen. Yes, I just found those little stainless steel condiment cups at BB&B yesterday... had no idea they would have the perfect size (too small for they metal frame - I'll use the risers on that, but exactly right for the wood bed). They were $5 for a pack of 6. I don't think the bbs are in the wood bed's room yet so I'm hoping to isolate it before they move in. DE in the cups sounds like a winner! I hadn't heard that before - much preferable to oil sloshing around onto a carpet, I would think.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46